Author Topic: Two questions...spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes  (Read 29897 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Two questions...spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes
« on: September 20, 2012, 09:11:56 PM »
First, what does spaghetti squash taste like?  Is it similar to acorn squash or butternut?  I really dislike acorn squash and butternut is ok but don't really like it.  I ask because today was my last day for my CSA box and I got spaghetti squash.  Depending on what it tastes like, I may just give it away.

My 2nd question, how long do sweet potatoes last?  I am not a huge fan, but my daughter is. However, I have  a TON of pureed sweet potatoes right now and I am afraid if I make more she will be beyond the pureed stage by the time I get through all of it. So I was thinking of just trying to keep them longer so I can make them fresh for her let her eat it like a finger food.  I read to put them in the fridge and they can keep 2-3 months. Thoughts?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Two questions...spaghetti squash and sweet potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
Spaghetti squash tastes like spaghetti squash...maybe sort of similar to butternut squash but the texture is far different.

Sweet potatoes last just like real potatoes...kind of depends how fresh they are but they can easily last a month or two in the fridge veggie bin.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
Sweet potatoes keep for a looonnnng time. But they also freeze really well. So you can cook them now and freeze them for later, if you want.

Spaghetti squashis pretty mild. Why not try it? It's really not at all like acorn or butternut squash.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »
spaghetti squash is pretty mild. The texture is stringy, hence the name. when i eat it like spaghetti i get disappointed, cause it aint spaghetti, but when i cook it otherwise i like it-- either mexican or asian.

Sweet potatoes, YUM! they will last a while, though i find the organic ones get soft after a couple weeks. We could eat pounds of sweet potatoes a week.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
pureed sweet potatoes may be used for pie, bread, spaghetti sauce, etc., etc.

they store well and you can freeze them.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 02:09:36 PM »
Spaghettis squash is bland and watery.  I don't like it unless I load it up with garlic, olive oil, and cheese-but I would eat almost anything loaded with garlic, olive oil, and cheese.

Sweet potatoes are delicious.  Roasted, mashed, in soups, stews, and even desserts.  YUMMY.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
Do y'all keep your potatoes in the fridge??

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »

I do not.  I like spaghetti squash.  These are good:
http://urbanposer.blogspot.ca/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html
Because PANTS

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »

no: in a bowl inside one of my cabinets
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:44:30 PM »

You shouldn't keep them in the fridge because it turns some of the starch to sugar, which doesn't really affect the nutrition but it does affect the texture quite a bit. I keep mine in a bin in the pantry.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2012, 03:17:23 PM »
I do not.  I like spaghetti squash.  These are good:
http://urbanposer.blogspot.ca/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html

I will have to try that!

I like spaghetti squash but I find it hit or miss. It's not a great substitute for pasta, but I have yet to find a great sub for pasta so...

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 05:42:49 PM »
We get lots of sweet potatoes in our winter share from the farm. They are storage crops, if you keep them in a cool (but not cold) dark place (like your basement) they will keep for a very long time.

I don't *love* squash OR sweet potatoes, the secret for me is to prepare them as *savory* and not *sweet* dishes. As mentioned above -- use salt, cheese, herbs and they are pretty great.

I had a spaghetti squash carbonara once that was to die for... but it wasn't the most waistline friendly version of that vegetable!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »
i've been tossing cubed sweet potatoes into my veggie chili.  delicious.

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2012, 05:33:48 PM »
i've been tossing cubed sweet potatoes into my veggie chili.  delicious.

I'm going to do this in lieu of beans, since I have discovered beans tend to make my tummy hurt.  In fact, I will have to procure some sweet potatoes soon.

Do you think that if i put it in the slow cooker all day, with the potatoes raw, that they would fully cook during the day?  Or should I pre-cook them like I do the meat?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 02:18:33 PM »
We get lots of sweet potatoes in our winter share from the farm. They are storage crops, if you keep them in a cool (but not cold) dark place (like your basement) they will keep for a very long time.

I don't *love* squash OR sweet potatoes, the secret for me is to prepare them as *savory* and not *sweet* dishes. As mentioned above -- use salt, cheese, herbs and they are pretty great.

I had a spaghetti squash carbonara once that was to die for... but it wasn't the most waistline friendly version of that vegetable!

I do not like sweet sides or main dishes. I much prefer savory.

I do not like sweet potatoes. I have tried them over and over again and still do not like them. can't even stand them fried like french fries. 

i will try the spaghetti squash.  the worst thing that happens is it goes to waste.  and I know it will taste nothing like spaghetti. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »
i always make savory sweet potatoes, never sweet, ick.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »
I'm going to do this in lieu of beans, since I have discovered beans tend to make my tummy hurt.  In fact, I will have to procure some sweet potatoes soon.

Do you think that if i put it in the slow cooker all day, with the potatoes raw, that they would fully cook during the day?  Or should I pre-cook them like I do the meat?

i don't pre-cook them.  they are fork tender in about an hour, so i'm assuming you could cook them in a slow cooker w/no trouble.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 07:41:33 PM »
I personally dont believe in treating spaghetti squash like noodles. It is a veggie so I just serve it like a veggie with salt, pepper, and a little butter on it.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 10:08:57 PM »
I personally dont believe in treating spaghetti squash like noodles. It is a veggie so I just serve it like a veggie with salt, pepper, and a little butter on it.

That's how I like noodles!

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 01:56:25 PM »
Last year I could not find a pumpkin at the store for "Leezle's dinner in a pumpkin recipe" so I used two spaghetti squash instead and I loved it, you can spoon out the insided along with the filling and it tasted good that way, I am undecided if I would like it plain or not but it was pretty mild.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 02:03:48 PM »
Last year I could not find a pumpkin at the store for "Leezle's dinner in a pumpkin recipe" so I used two spaghetti squash instead and I loved it, you can spoon out the insided along with the filling and it tasted good that way, I am undecided if I would like it plain or not but it was pretty mild.

that is a good idea! 
Because PANTS

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 05:31:55 PM »
I like sweet potatoes period.

But I usually cut in chunks, and coat with olive oil, salt, garlic, and rosemary, and cook in the oven on one of those cookie sheets that has edges all the way around.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

+-SUPPORT US