Author Topic: What's the best tuna fish sandwich?  (Read 15699 times)

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
Re: What's the best tuna fish sandwich?
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 09:07:53 AM »
poor vp and her provincial palate.   :P

Heh.

I like all cg's options, so there! :P
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 09:49:05 AM »
i might ask, how do you folks tolerate the light mayo?  i find it incredibly sweet, with a funny texture.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 09:53:51 AM »
i might ask, how do you folks tolerate the light mayo?  i find it incredibly sweet, with a funny texture.

Have you tried Hellman's Light mayonnaise?  The fat free and even the low fat literally make me gag (ick ... even thinking of them makes my stomach turn) but we use the light all the time and I actually like it.  Not the lovely richness of real mayo but great in sauces that will have lots of herbs and garlic and yogurt anyway and for me even fine for a tuna or egg salad.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 10:00:25 AM »
my mother commonly has a jar of the cains fat free, or the hellmann's low fat dressing.  my childhood memories of sandwiches containing mayo are terrifying. 

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 10:03:12 AM »

I don't tolerate mayo at all, unless I made it myself with sunflower or olive oil (which oil depends on the eventual purpose of the mayo).  I'm not going to make mayo in order to have a tuna sandwich, so I use plain yogurt.   If I have mayo around from some other culinary event, I would use leftovers for tuna.

I make a fantastic cumin mayo with olive oil for an orzo salad that does nicely for salmon sandwiches, but not for tuna.

Online blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 10:05:14 AM »
Have you tried Hellman's Light mayonnaise?  The fat free and even the low fat literally make me gag (ick ... even thinking of them makes my stomach turn) but we use the light all the time and I actually like it.  Not the lovely richness of real mayo but great in sauces that will have lots of herbs and garlic and yogurt anyway and for me even fine for a tuna or egg salad.

Yep... we use Hellman's.  Not too bad.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 10:54:55 AM »
I don't tolerate mayo at all, unless I made it myself with sunflower or olive oil (which oil depends on the eventual purpose of the mayo).  I'm not going to make mayo in order to have a tuna sandwich, so I use plain yogurt.   If I have mayo around from some other culinary event, I would use leftovers for tuna.

I make a fantastic cumin mayo with olive oil for an orzo salad that does nicely for salmon sandwiches, but not for tuna.

Funny how that is, isn't it? I can't do commercial mayo either. YUCK! But I love my own home made stuff. The commercial stuff has a weird fluffy consistency and sweetish taste that is off putting to me. My mom hates mayo so I just didn't eat it growing up.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 11:57:20 AM »
Funny how that is, isn't it? I can't do commercial mayo either. YUCK! But I love my own home made stuff. The commercial stuff has a weird fluffy consistency and sweetish taste that is off putting to me. My mom hates mayo so I just didn't eat it growing up.

mom always made her own mayonnaise, but I didn't like it (eventually I figured out it's because I don't like canola oil)... I was always jealous of other people having jars of Miracle Whip in their homes... until I tried it, anyway. 

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »

Got any recipes, or directions?

Also, how does the olive oil mayo turn out?  I have looked this up out of interest, and found a lot of people saying that olive oil makes a bitter mayo.  Is that not so?

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:37 PM »

The nonfat mayo and some of the lights have sugar in them. Best Foods (or Hellmans for you people) light mayo doesn't.

I was inspired to have a tuna sandwich for lunch today! Tuna, mayo, horesradish sauce, dill relish, green onion, and a little mustard powder and garlic powder topped with lettuce. It was yummy!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2012, 07:10:43 AM »
Got any recipes, or directions?

Also, how does the olive oil mayo turn out?  I have looked this up out of interest, and found a lot of people saying that olive oil makes a bitter mayo.  Is that not so?

I toast about a Tbsp of cumin seeds in a cast iron pan, coarsely grind, then set aside.  Beat the yolk of one egg, very slowly, as in a drop or two at a time, drizzle in good olive oil (xvirgin, of course, cold-pressed...  I tend toward ones that have a green tinge, but apparently it's an old wive's tale that these are better oils... nonetheless, I still look for a green tinge), whisking constantly and quickly all the time to emulsify... you should get about 3/4 c of olive oil incorporated before the egg can't really hold any more of it... I find with sunflower oil it will take closer to a full cup.  Your arm will be sore.  If you are better equipped in the kitchen than I am, a stand mixer would probably work, maybe even a food processor.  I like the process though, it feels more of an accomplishment doing it by hand. :)  Anyway, once it's mayo, I stir in the toasted cumin.  Voila, toasted cumin mayo.

Mayo is, however, really that easy.  Yolk of one egg + up to about a cup of oil.  The hard part is the whisking and having the patience to add oil drops at a time.

Regarding the bitterness with olive oil: the quality of the oil affects the taste... it might well be somewhat bitter regardless, but I don't mind a bit of bitter, but I don't notice it being particularly bitter.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 07:12:23 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2012, 12:08:52 PM »
Dagstag, this article doesn't say anything about bitterness from olive oil: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/23/dining/easy-homemade-mayonnaise.html?pagewanted=all&_moc.semityn.www

but includes some tips for getting the emulsion to hold (sometimes you get seperation inexplicably); it did remind me that when I make the toasted cumin mayo, I squeeze a bit of lemon juice into the egg yolk at the start

and thanks to that article, I'm going to make some anchovy mayo soon

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2012, 01:05:54 PM »
Oh Yum. I'll have to get on this. I will make anchovy mayo and eat it by the spoonful.

Offline triciaflower

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »
I like to put boiled eggs in my tuna. The smell can be strong, but it tastes goooood!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 11:51:51 PM »
Duke's light mayo is very good.  I don't like the other Lights, though.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2012, 06:00:37 PM »
Duke's light mayo is very good.  I don't like the other Lights, though.

We just started getting that here, I might try it. 

I've been using the hellmans full fat with olive oil.  Tuna is really the only thing I use mayo for and i don't use much so I don't fret over it too much.  Is Dukes light legit or is it some kind of frankenfood? 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2012, 07:49:40 PM »
um...Frankenfood.  Damn I wish I hadn't just googled that. :(
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2012, 03:02:37 PM »
Dill weed, dill relish, tons of onion, celery, salt, pepper and light mayo.  Once I ran out of mayo... I used ranch dressing instead and actually it was pretty good. :-[

+-SUPPORT US