Author Topic: What's the best tuna fish sandwich?  (Read 15698 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
What's the best tuna fish sandwich?
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:29:21 PM »
Mine is super simple. Can of tuna, drained, mixed with mayo and pickle relish. Two pieces of toasted wheat bread. Dash of hot sauce and some pepper on top. I can usually get 2.5 sandwiches out of one can of tuna.

But I've tasted better at little lunch shops. Since it's a pretty healthy and easy meal, I'd like to make it a weekly standard and something to look forward to. Help?

Offline teetime

• The Runners
Re: What's the best tuna fish sandwich?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:00 PM »
Tuna melt!

Thomas' English muffin, tuna (made with lots of fine diced celery and onion), mayo, and a touch of mustard, a slice of sharp cheddar, and on one of the two English muffin halves, a slice of tomato.  Stick in hot toaster oven for a few minutes then turn to broil until cheese is all melty.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 02:59:54 PM »
My tuna mix is the same as yours but I like lettuce on top and I like it on really fresh sourdough bread.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
I worked at a cafe that had a killer tuna salad, according to the patrons, since i do not eat fish, and when i made it, it was pretty standard, but a little bit of horseradish mixed into :)
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• Passed on to another Brane
  • has no fucks to give
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:51 PM »
I put lots of stuff in mine... same as yours, plus chopped red onions, chopped dill pickles, chopped hard boiled egg, some creole or spicy brown mustard, a little celery salt... normally served on one of the HEB southwest tortillas with some avocado slices. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline ihop

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 04:52:07 PM »
I put lots of stuff in mine... same as yours, plus chopped red onions, chopped dill pickles, chopped hard boiled egg, some creole or spicy brown mustard, a little celery salt... normally served on one of the HEB southwest tortillas with some avocado slices. 

I love it with a little egg and spicy mustard too.  But I prefer sweet to dill pickles.  And I like to add a little mild vinegar.  I love this style of tuna salad on toasted bread either with lettuce and tomato or cheese.

I also make a different version with capers, red onions, roasted red peppers, olive oil and vinegar.  I prefer this kind on crackers or crusty untoasted bread.
La madre degli imbecilli รจ sempre incinta.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 05:00:30 PM »
I love it with a little egg and spicy mustard too.  But I prefer sweet to dill pickles.  And I like to add a little mild vinegar.  I love this style of tuna salad on toasted bread either with lettuce and tomato or cheese.

I also make a different version with capers, red onions, roasted red peppers, olive oil and vinegar.  I prefer this kind on crackers or crusty untoasted bread.

:)  I think I could survive on Tuna Fish!  I put capers in mine quite a bit and I also make a different type for crackers or just as a salad and it's very similar to yours... some kalamata olives, artichoke... .

I'll even own up to liking Subway's tuna.  Subway is the only chain I'll eat at and that's the only thing I'll order.... whole grain, no cheese, all the onions, all the peppers, olives, spinach, oil and vinegar, salt and pepper. 
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »
I worked at a cafe that had a killer tuna salad, according to the patrons, since i do not eat fish, and when i made it, it was pretty standard, but a little bit of horseradish mixed into :)

I tried using horseradish and kalamata olives with the mayo today, and it was really good.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Family variants

Standard:  tuna, lots of ground black pepper, onion, celery, mayo, sometimes relish

So-called "high-class tuna" recipe:  tuna, capers, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil (chopped), olive oil (or just the sun-dried tomato oil)
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:22 PM »
Ya'll flung a craving on me!  Had to go make a big batch!   :)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
When I am really trying I add a bit of mayo, horesradish sauce, dill relish, mustard, and fresh ground pepper.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 07:51:58 PM »
I chop the tuna so there aren't any big chunks. I add mayo, salt, pepper, finely chopped onion, a dash of mustard, boiled egg whites (sometimes i'll use the yolk too).

We have a chain restaraunt that has a Mediterranean Tuna sandwich that DH likes. I don't know what all they put in it, but it's not mayo based. There are olives and capers and some other things. I don't love it.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline MikoftheWat

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:56:15 PM »
Guac instead of mayo.  You're welcome.
Neglected girls shouldn't worry, it's what god made Sailors for.

They call them Aviators in the Navy.  They say they're better than pilots.
-Tom Wolfe

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:43 PM »
Best tuna salad is the one where you leave out the tuna and substitute chicken.  Or use seared ahi tuna.  That stuff out of the can is cat food. 

:sneaking:

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:12:24 PM »
I used to use plain yogurt in place of mayo when I was more of a health nut. Spiced it up with mustard or turmeric. Unfortunately, it then takes on a very unappetizing orange color. :skep:

It is tasty to turn it into a tuna melt.

I've used mashed avocado in place of mayo as Mik suggested, but it didn't quite work for me.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 11:55:15 PM »
When making my "standard" recipe, I have to make two batches.  For me, I use a mix of greek yogurt and light mayo, lightly clinging to the ingredients.  DH will have none of it.  What he prefers might best be described as "tuna paste".  A mess of (light) mayo with a bit of tuna and onion mixed in.
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »
lately?  tuna, mayo, minced onion, chopped wasabi pickles, maybe some dill, maybe some mustard, and served with tomato in a tuna melt.

Offline VP of Tea

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
tuna + cheese is  :vomit:

:chair:
Www.trailjournals.com/airlockGR5

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2012, 05:38:13 PM »
tuna + cheese is  :vomit:

:chair:

poor vp and her provincial palate.   :P

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 06:57:32 AM »
for tuna salad sandwiches: tuna, plain yogurt, lemon, capers, red onion, on toasted bread with sliced cucumber

my mother's tuna salad is tuna, mayo, finely chopped celery, lots of black pepper

I sometimes make salad nicoise sandwiches: fresh baguette then layer: tuna (mixed with some lemon juice, but nothing else), blanched and chilled green beans, sliced cucumber, sliced tomato, slice hard boiled egg, anchovy filets, sliced kalamata olives, salt & pepper.

+-SUPPORT US