Author Topic: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes  (Read 7335 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #60 on: May 14, 2022, 12:02:34 PM »
We are attempting this chicken dish this evening!

Oooh, I think you'll like it!  Let us know how it turns out.  That mustard and bread crumb coating = much yum.

Enjoyed the finale of Julia and happy that it has been renewed for another season.  Watching the series makes me want to go shopping at Savenor's! 

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: May 14, 2022, 08:52:44 PM »
Oooh, I think you'll like it!  Let us know how it turns out.  That mustard and bread crumb coating = much yum.

Enjoyed the finale of Julia and happy that it has been renewed for another season.  Watching the series makes me want to go shopping at Savenor's!
We made it..... and It was delicious!
The breadcrumb Dijon shallot concoction was fantastic. Ours wasn't as pretty as yours though.
Most of the coating fell off when I carved the bird but it made a delicious little side dish.
I might quarter the bird next time we make it to eliminate that.
I have leftovers for lunch tomorrow!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2022, 11:01:17 AM »
You wouldn't believe the coordinated effort between Spawn the Elder and me to transfer the bird to the serving platter without messing with the crust! :D   When we carved it, yep, the coating falls off, but we served it on the side.  Quartering the bird is a great idea!  Did you grill the chicken first?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:03:43 AM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
You wouldn't believe the coordinated effort between Spawn the Elder and me to transfer the bird to the serving platter without messing with the crust! :D   When we carved it, yep, the coating falls off, but we served it on the side.  Quartering the bird is a great idea!  Did you grill the chicken first?
I can imagine!  Hahahaha. It was a beast to maneuver.

We did not grill it. A spatchcocked the bird. I cooked it according to the directions in the Mastering book. So broiled at 450-500 for 10 minutes each side basting every 5 minutes with butter and its own cooking juices.  The bird was brown but clearly not cooked through so I turned down the oven and baked it for 15 more minutes at 350.

The A applied the coating and broiled until brown.

I have a picture of the broiled and browned bird I'll post here in a bit.

I had a drum stick and thigh last night and used the leftover breast today for a sandwich. 

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2022, 02:17:33 PM »
My mom used to make a very similar recipe. She just used chicken thighs, or sometimes Maryland cuts (thigh + drumstick) instead of a whole bird, which makes it easier and also more scalable depending on how many she was feeding. It's so good!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2022, 02:50:11 PM »
It is excellent on chicken thighs which is what I had last night. A thigh and drum stick.

I prefer dark meat chicken and Turkey.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2022, 02:59:18 PM »
Oh and if you want a delicious sandwich with leftovers: thin sliced breast meat, thick layer of breadcrumb coating, slice of Swiss cheese, and a tiny amount of Dijon on a sesame brioche bun.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 10:06:30 PM by Kumbaya »

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2022, 09:11:17 PM »
It is excellent on chicken thighs which is what I had last night. A thigh and drum stick.

I prefer dark meat chicken and Turkey.

I like the idea of using leg quarters for this.  A lot.  But...the presentation is lacking. ;)

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
Julia Child thread: her influence, in the media, and recipes
« Reply #68 on: May 21, 2022, 07:14:42 PM »
Tonight: Carré d'agneau à la moutarde. W/ roasted broccoli.

The Gigot à la moutarde recipe but using rack of lamb rather than a 6-7lb leg. :D

It's a bit of a splurge - but still cheaper (and better) than a dinner out.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2022, 06:17:31 PM »
R.I.P.  Julie Powell

Julie Powell, blogger of the Julie/Julia Project and author of Julie & Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously, died from cardiac arrest on October 26.  She was only 49 yr old.  In her blog, Powell chronicled attempts to cook all 524 recipes from Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, Volume 1.  Her writing, along with Julia Child's memoir, My Life in France, was the inspiration for Nora Ephron's movie Julie & Julia.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2022, 10:39:48 PM »
Oh no!!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2022, 06:57:13 PM »
Wow, that's scary. So young.

Offline Rejaneration

• Passed on to another Brane
  • The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2022, 07:52:35 AM »
We did Beef Bourguignon last night.  Quite good.
I am so ready for the holidays to be over though.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2022, 01:37:17 PM »
Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic.  We usually make it a few times during the colder months.

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side. Haricot verts as a side (broccoli rabe is for tomorrow). Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*I resumed light imbibing.  When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 02:58:39 PM by DocBuzzkill »

#notallprogressives

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2022, 01:41:13 PM »
Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon is a classic.  We usually make it a few times during the colder months.

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side.  Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d

Oh, that potato galette sounds interesting. Is it online? We’re doing ribeyes and some sort of roasted veggie. Our traditional nye has included smashed potatoes with sour cream and caviar, but I didn’t want to spend the extra $ on caviar this year. We had them without on Xmas, so maybe something different would be better.

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #75 on: December 31, 2022, 02:03:08 PM »
Oh, that potato galette sounds interesting. Is it online? We’re doing ribeyes and some sort of roasted veggie. Our traditional nye has included smashed potatoes with sour cream and caviar, but I didn’t want to spend the extra $ on caviar this year. We had them without on Xmas, so maybe something different would be better.

Not online but here's the recipe.  Keep in mind we haven't tried this yet but it looks straightforward.  The parboiling in water with salt and vinegar is the Serious Eats mod.

Oven-Roasted Potato Galette

From The Way to Cook by Julia Child

Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed in butter then roasted in a thin layer in the oven.  They are lightly browned and tenderly crisp. 

For 6 servings

1 ½ pound “boiling” potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon Golds)
3 T to 4T melted butter, olive oil, or duck/goose/chicken fat
Seasonings:  salt, freshly ground pepper, and if you wish, thyme or mixed herbs, and/or puréed garlic

Special equipment suggestion: A slicing device is useful but a good knife works; a nonstick baking surface is essential, e.g., an ovenproof nonstick skillet or a very well-seasoned cast iron skillet.

Preparing the potatoes.  Preheat the oven to 400F.  Peel potatoes. Slice into ~ ¼ inch thick slices. Put slices in a large saucepan, ensuring slices are covered with cold water (use about 2 quarts of water).  Add the following to the water:

2 T kosher salt (18 grams)
2T white vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until potatoes are barely tender, offering some resistance when poked with a paring knife, about 4 minutes. Drain potatoes; spread out over a baking sheet to dry for about 20 minutes or so.  Pat with paper towels if needed.

Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl.  Pour melted fat or olive oil over the potato slices, add salt and other seasonings, then gently mix with hands to coat the slices.

Baking 30 to 30 minutes.  Arrange slices neatly in the skillet.  Bake in upper middle level of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then rapidly press down with a spatula or back of a wooden spoon.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until lightly browned.  If possible, turn them over to brown bottom layer (might be risky).

Ahead-of-time note: When done somewhat ahead, the potatoes will keep nicely if they remain uncovered at room temperature.  Reheat in the oven for a few minutes just before serving.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2022, 03:11:03 PM »

For NYE, we're having Julia's version of roasted racks of lamb: coated with a mustard sauce, baked at high heat, then coated with bread crumbs and baked at a lower heat; probably similar to Barry's carré d'agneau à la moutarde.  Also trying her oven-roasted potato galette recipe with a modification from Serious Eats.  Sautéed broccoli rabe with garlic and red pepper as a side. Haricot verts as a side (broccoli rabe is for tomorrow). Leftover cranberry pudding with butter-cream sauce for dessert.  Spawn the Elder bought a fancy DOCG prosecco.*

*I resumed light imbibing.  When I had a follow-up appointment with my gastroenterologist in November, she said it was fine for me to resume moderate alcohol consumption since my liver abnormalities (identified in 2021) were actually the result of my autoimmune flare and the lymphoma, both effectively managed/resolved, and NOT liver disease.  I'm still keeping wine and booze very VERY moderate since I don't want to stress my physiology.  Like no more than 4 ounces of wine and an ounce or less of cognac or Scotch for a weekend dinner/dessert.  My days of 4 ounce Vesper martinis are done!  :d
That mustard sauce is delicious on rack of lamb!!
Enjoy!

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2022, 03:12:02 PM »
Not online but here's the recipe.  Keep in mind we haven't tried this yet but it looks straightforward.  The parboiling in water with salt and vinegar is the Serious Eats mod.

Oven-Roasted Potato Galette

From The Way to Cook by Julia Child

Thinly sliced potatoes are tossed in butter then roasted in a thin layer in the oven.  They are lightly browned and tenderly crisp. 

For 6 servings

1 ½ pound “boiling” potatoes (red potatoes or Yukon Golds)
3 T to 4T melted butter, olive oil, or duck/goose/chicken fat
Seasonings:  salt, freshly ground pepper, and if you wish, thyme or mixed herbs, and/or puréed garlic

Special equipment suggestion: A slicing device is useful but a good knife works; a nonstick baking surface is essential, e.g., an ovenproof nonstick skillet or a very well-seasoned cast iron skillet.

Preparing the potatoes.  Preheat the oven to 400F.  Peel potatoes. Slice into ~ ¼ inch thick slices. Put slices in a large saucepan, ensuring slices are covered with cold water (use about 2 quarts of water).  Add the following to the water:

2 T kosher salt (18 grams)
2T white vinegar

Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Cook until potatoes are barely tender, offering some resistance when poked with a paring knife, about 4 minutes. Drain potatoes; spread out over a baking sheet to dry for about 20 minutes or so.  Pat with paper towels if needed.

Place potato slices in a large mixing bowl.  Pour melted fat or olive oil over the potato slices, add salt and other seasonings, then gently mix with hands to coat the slices.

Baking 30 to 30 minutes.  Arrange slices neatly in the skillet.  Bake in upper middle level of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, then rapidly press down with a spatula or back of a wooden spoon.  Bake 15 to 20 minutes more, until lightly browned.  If possible, turn them over to brown bottom layer (might be risky).

Ahead-of-time note: When done somewhat ahead, the potatoes will keep nicely if they remain uncovered at room temperature.  Reheat in the oven for a few minutes just before serving.
That also sounds delicious!

Offline DocBuzzkill

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2022, 09:38:43 PM »
That also sounds delicious!

The salted water seasons the potato slices, so no need to add any more salt IMO. We added some as directed in Julia's recipe, and it was a bit too salty, even for me.  Lamb was fab as usual.  We have used Julia's recipe for rack of lamb for years.  We had a red Bordeaux  w/ dinner and the fancy Prosecco with dessert.  Both were delicious.

#notallprogressives

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2023, 11:41:10 AM »
The salted water seasons the potato slices, so no need to add any more salt IMO. We added some as directed in Julia's recipe, and it was a bit too salty, even for me.  Lamb was fab as usual.  We have used Julia's recipe for rack of lamb for years.  We had a red Bordeaux  w/ dinner and the fancy Prosecco with dessert.  Both were delicious.
Now I want rack of lamb!

+-SUPPORT US