Author Topic: Making pasta sauce?  (Read 2697 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Making pasta sauce?
« on: August 28, 2021, 12:21:48 PM »
This is probably a basic question. I get a CSA and a few weeks ago they had saucing tomatoes I could buy. Now they have canning tomatoes...can i substitute canning tomatoes? My real question is...do canning tomatoes have a lot more seeds? I attempted to grow my own saucing tomatoes...I have sliced a few and I can see how they would be great for saucing...not a lot of seeds to get rid of. (and quite tasty...but my plants are not healthy and I am not going to get a lot of tomatoes.)

I actually need to decide by tomorrow if i am going to add the tomatoes to my order.

Also, has anyone here made sauce with the skins on? I had a recipe for one that didn't require peeling. I am kind of lazy so i thought I might try it, but wanted to know if anyone had real experience with it. (note: I have made marinara sauce before, but only a few times and I have never quite liked the outcome, so I am also ok with any tips and tricks.)

Offline caribougrrl

Re: Making pasta sauce?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 02:45:08 PM »
This is probably a basic question. I get a CSA and a few weeks ago they had saucing tomatoes I could buy. Now they have canning tomatoes...can i substitute canning tomatoes? My real question is...do canning tomatoes have a lot more seeds? I attempted to grow my own saucing tomatoes...I have sliced a few and I can see how they would be great for saucing...not a lot of seeds to get rid of. (and quite tasty...but my plants are not healthy and I am not going to get a lot of tomatoes.)

I actually need to decide by tomorrow if i am going to add the tomatoes to my order.

Also, has anyone here made sauce with the skins on? I had a recipe for one that didn't require peeling. I am kind of lazy so i thought I might try it, but wanted to know if anyone had real experience with it. (note: I have made marinara sauce before, but only a few times and I have never quite liked the outcome, so I am also ok with any tips and tricks.)

I suspect saucing tomatoes have less water content than canning tomatoes, but you can make sauce with any tomato, it just takes more or less time to reduce to the desired consistency. You can make sauce from canned tomatoes too...

re: skins. If I making a pan sauce to eat right away, I peel and seed them... if I am making a large batch of sauce to freeze in portions, leave the skin on and seeds in and then run it through a food mill to puree, skin and seed all in one go.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2021, 03:01:57 PM »
I suspect saucing tomatoes have less water content than canning tomatoes, but you can make sauce with any tomato, it just takes more or less time to reduce to the desired consistency. You can make sauce from canned tomatoes too...

re: skins. If I making a pan sauce to eat right away, I peel and seed them... if I am making a large batch of sauce to freeze in portions, leave the skin on and seeds in and then run it through a food mill to puree, skin and seed all in one go.

Why the difference if you are eating it right away or freezing it? My plan is to mostly freeze it and use it later. I am all about ease at this point. I do not have a food mill. I do have an immersion blender, which is what i used last year to make sauce (I did skin and seed the tomatoes last year.)

I added half a bushel to my order. I have no idea how much that is. LOL. But is is $21. I can throw in the few tomatoes I am getting from my plants so those don't go to waste.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2021, 03:28:12 PM »
I always leave the skins on - for sauce and tomato soup.  Then I strain it when it's done.

Today I was canning tomatoes and had some left over - skinned - so I made soup.  It doesn't taste quite the same.  I feel like the skins add flavour.

Offline redkitty

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2021, 06:36:04 PM »
It literally never occurred to me to strain it. Lol. Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 11:03:59 AM »

#notallprogressives

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 11:11:15 AM »
It literally never occurred to me to strain it. Lol. Makes perfect sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah- it's an extra step but I find the end product so much better its worth it.  And you only end up with pulp if you really work it through the sieve.

Apparently you can then make crackers from the pulp.  I have not tried that yet.

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 11:40:38 AM »
I always leave the skins on - for sauce and tomato soup.  Then I strain it when it's done.

Today I was canning tomatoes and had some left over - skinned - so I made soup.  It doesn't taste quite the same.  I feel like the skins add flavour.

1.  I roast the tomatoes with onions and garlic, skins on.  Then, process it.  I don't strain and it is wonderful.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline redkitty

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 06:37:35 PM »
Thank you every one. I will go visit the resurrected thread!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2021, 08:03:01 AM »
Why the difference if you are eating it right away or freezing it? My plan is to mostly freeze it and use it later. I am all about ease at this point. I do not have a food mill. I do have an immersion blender, which is what i used last year to make sauce (I did skin and seed the tomatoes last year.)

I added half a bushel to my order. I have no idea how much that is. LOL. But is is $21. I can throw in the few tomatoes I am getting from my plants so those don't go to waste.

If I'm eating it right away, I'm not making much and it's less work to blanch and peel than to clean the food mill... if I'm freezing it, I'm making a jesus big batch and it's more work to peel than to clean the food mill. That's it.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2021, 02:15:35 AM »
If I'm eating it right away, I'm not making much and it's less work to blanch and peel than to clean the food mill... if I'm freezing it, I'm making a jesus big batch and it's more work to peel than to clean the food mill. That's it.
Exactly! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

+-SUPPORT US