Author Topic: Frying an egg in olive oil  (Read 2897 times)

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
Frying an egg in olive oil
« on: April 14, 2021, 02:35:34 PM »
I have a hard time getting my eggs just right. Looking up another recipe, I stumbled on one of those click-bait headlines: fry your egg like the Portuguese do! I clicked. The advice was simply use a generous amount of olive oil brought to a high temp, but then turned down to medium, add egg to skillet, then use a spoon to pick up oil and spoon over the yolk until firm. It works great. It also improves the texture (to me, at least). Has everyone always known this and I'm just late to the show?

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Frying an egg in olive oil
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2021, 02:54:53 PM »
I have never seen that technique.

I only ever fry eggs if I am also frying bacon... but I guess what I do is kind of similar. When the bacon is done, remove from pan and turn the heat down. Add eggs. Baste with bacon grease if you are getting impatient. I only do that to cook the white though, not until the yolk is firm. I like a messy runny yolk.*

*in a fried egg... prefer less messy for a poached egg and downright custardy for a boiled egg

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:29:19 PM »
What end product are you looking for with your eggs?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 05:33:57 PM »
I flip my fried eggs

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2021, 05:55:31 PM »
I have never seen that technique.

I only ever fry eggs if I am also frying bacon... but I guess what I do is kind of similar. When the bacon is done, remove from pan and turn the heat down. Add eggs. Baste with bacon grease if you are getting impatient. I only do that to cook the white though, not until the yolk is firm. I like a messy runny yolk.*

*in a fried egg... prefer less messy for a poached egg and downright custardy for a boiled egg

That's my mom's technique, but I rarely do bacon.

What end product are you looking for with your eggs?
slightly crisp on the edges with the yolk runny. I don't mind flipping, as MM does, but I suck at it and always seem to break the yolk.

Offline Sir Real

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 08:16:43 AM »
I only fry my eggs in butter (Kerrygold).  I also use a technique I learned here in the CH (from diablita, I think).  For over easy/medium eggs, while the eggs are frying, put a lid or paper plate over the skillet, don't flip them.  Cook until desired doneness, usually just a couple of minutes. Done.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:35 AM »
Strictly sunny side here. Flipped eggs are an abomination!!

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 10:08:42 AM »
I fry like the article tazawa read. Except I don’t turn the heat down and I go for crispy brown bits and a runny yolk. I also like kosher salt sprinkled on as soon as the egg is in the pan.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 07:14:07 PM »
Yeah more fat- oil or butter and higher temps with the cover. I like to flip mine because i do not like them too runny.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »
that's how mr. 'poo fries his eggs. they do turn out nearly every time.

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2021, 09:38:11 PM »
I fry like the article tazawa read. Except I don’t turn the heat down and I go for crispy brown bits and a runny yolk. I also like kosher salt sprinkled on as soon as the egg is in the pan.
Yeah, I think I'm going to keep the heat higher next time. I get a little crisp, but not how I'd like it. I want it super crisp around the edges.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2021, 09:50:04 PM »
Crispy eggs?  Eggs are like fish.  The only way to ruin them is to overcook them

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2021, 12:54:51 AM »
Crispy eggs?  Eggs are like fish.  The only way to ruin them is to overcook them

Overcooked yolks are gross. But crispy whites with a runny yolk are a thing of beauty. I like whites with the brown edges that taste like popcorn.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2021, 09:16:19 PM »
mmmm agree picote

Yes, I do the lid on the pan thing.  And I also let the pan sit and heat up for a good bit before the spray oil and egg.  That's another trick to well cooked, crispy whites and nice yolks.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline tazawa

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
Overcooked yolks are gross. But crispy whites with a runny yolk are a thing of beauty. I like whites with the brown edges that taste like popcorn.
Yes, that's why I like this method. You can get the crispy with the slightly runny yolk. DW prefers the lid method. Generally, everything she does, she does better than I do. But for this I like the outcome better.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2021, 09:38:27 PM »
Another fan of crispy fried eggs in copious amounts of olive oil here. I do flip, the key for me is to use more oil than I'd normally feel comfortable with. I'm an oil scrooge and usually use a spritzer or pan spray.

When I was a student in Madrid this was breakfast with french fries.  The olive oil was divine.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2021, 11:40:05 AM »
I don't like crispy edges, but I do like a runny yolk - but I kind of think of fried eggs like a condiment - you put them ON something to give it moisture and protein.  Alas, I have a hard time making a neat fried egg, so I generally scramble or hard-boil.  (I do add butter and half-and-half to my eggs to scramble - nice and fluffy!)

There is a local place that does their poached eggs sous vide for their eggs benedict and they are almost always perfect.  (They also use country ham instead of Canadian bacon).  Radial- you have a sous vide contraption, right?
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2021, 01:37:06 PM »
I don't like crispy edges, but I do like a runny yolk - but I kind of think of fried eggs like a condiment - you put them ON something to give it moisture and protein.  Alas, I have a hard time making a neat fried egg, so I generally scramble or hard-boil.  (I do add butter and half-and-half to my eggs to scramble - nice and fluffy!)

There is a local place that does their poached eggs sous vide for their eggs benedict and they are almost always perfect.  (They also use country ham instead of Canadian bacon).  Radial- you have a sous vide contraption, right?

Yes, this one.  It's great, I use it a lot because I eat a lot of meat.  Never tried poaching eggs with it, though. 

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 11:45:41 AM »

I love a runny yolk and don't care for crispy edges. I mainly just tolerate the white, however it's cooked.

I've tried making sous vide soft-boiled eggs and they were underdone, but in theory they'd be great once I get the timing down.

+-SUPPORT US