Forum > Food

Camping Meals

(1/5) > >>

oblio:
We're heading out for our 2 week road trip in a few weeks, we'll be in a van and have a portable propane cooktop and some (very) basic cookware. We are trying to eat low calorie these days and realize that easy travel food may not = low calorie for these two weeks, and that is ok, but plan to do the best we can. I am not much of a cook (though I do try sometimes) so I really have no idea what to try to make out there. In the past I just got instant meals that just need to be boiled and prepackaged food. The BF is a much more experienced and confident cook. We'll have stuff for sandwiches, etc, but if anyone has any recommendations for meals we can keep/cook from a van we'd like to give something a try.

Run Amok:
I hate dealing with dishes so I stick to heat & eat options.  That said, we're planning to do some car camping out of the forester this summer so I'll be following along. 

Will you have a fridge? How often will you resupply /what pantry staples will you plan to have on hand?

Natasha:
This is an incredible resource: https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/

I made one of their veggie taco recipes years ago and it was really good, also some other recipes. I haven't followed them in a while because I'm just not cooking that way, but they do seem very knowledgeable.

These are the tacos I made: https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/drunken-cauliflower-tacos-with-quick-pickled-red-onions/

Also, I think vegetarian makes life easier because you don't have to worry about keeping meats cold, and you don't have as much grease to clean up.

oblio:

--- Quote from: Run Amok on April 04, 2021, 02:37:54 PM ---I hate dealing with dishes so I stick to heat & eat options.  That said, we're planning to do some car camping out of the forester this summer so I'll be following along. 

Will you have a fridge? How often will you resupply /what pantry staples will you plan to have on hand?

--- End quote ---

We will have an electric cooler that will be powered by the car battery, so not the coldest thing ever but if we supplement with some ice I think it will work well enough. I don't think we'll have much issue getting supplies whenever we need until maybe the last few days so we'll probably try to keep enough on hand for 2-3 days (with some meals out). I figured we'd get some tortilla wraps/bread, eggs, peanut butter, fruit/veggies, salsa, nuts, salad kits, maybe some pasta... still building a list.

Thanks Natasha!! With the calorie cutting the BF has cut out most meat, so I think we could probably stick to mostly vegetarian. (I know it won't last forever but I'm enjoying it while it lasts!) We will probably end up getting some deli meat and canned tuna for some easy meat though.

picote:
Most of my best and easy camping meals are meats on the grill, so I’m no help. But if you have grill access, it’s so great while camping. Minimal cleanup and you can easily make an entire dinner that’s fantastic. We do kabobs, lamb chops, steak, burgers and sausages, fish etc. with a veggie/sweet potato on the side. I pre-marinade the meats, so everything is super easy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version