Author Topic: Meals using canned foods  (Read 2730 times)

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
Meals using canned foods
« on: March 08, 2021, 12:44:07 PM »
I’m looking for creative and delicious uses of canned foods. :) If you know any, please post. Thank you.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Meals using canned foods
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2021, 01:23:28 PM »
Are you looking for 100% canned? Or will you have anything fresh?

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2021, 01:34:59 PM »
This is mostly canned, except for the onion and the smoked jalapenos.  The garlic was from one of those squeeze bottles.  You could totally do all canned - just put in some onion powder, use smoked paprika instead of regular if you can get it, and something else for heat.

1/2 large yellow onion, minced garlic (maybe 3 cloves worth?), 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, 2 (15 oz) cans of mild chili beans, 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic & onion, 1 (6 oz) can mild green chilis, 1 (15 oz) can creamed corn, salt, pepper, quite a bit of dried oregano, ancho chili powder, and cumin, some paprika, a little bit of basil, a bay leaf, just more than a splash of bourbon, and a bit of corn starch.  And some smoked jalapeno from my freezer.
This is the recipe that served as the "idea factory".  https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/  I didn't use smoked paprika (although I think I have some) because I got good smoke flavor already.  I didn't have any bell pepper or celery - and I don't think I would have liked that as well anyhow.

There's also a tuna and capers and pasta recipe that I got from someone here once.   I think the only non-shelf-stable item is onion, which tends to last long enough that I almost always have some.

I think the puttanesca I do is also all canned or almost all canned (except for the pasta which is in a box).  I can't remember if I use onion or not.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2021, 05:11:18 PM »
Are you looking for 100% canned? Or will you have anything fresh?
I try to have onions, potatoes, sweet potatoes and/or winter squash, and cabbage.   

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2021, 05:15:27 PM »
This is mostly canned, except for the onion and the smoked jalapenos.  The garlic was from one of those squeeze bottles.  You could totally do all canned - just put in some onion powder, use smoked paprika instead of regular if you can get it, and something else for heat.

1/2 large yellow onion, minced garlic (maybe 3 cloves worth?), 1 (15 oz) can of black beans, 2 (15 oz) cans of mild chili beans, 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes, 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes with garlic & onion, 1 (6 oz) can mild green chilis, 1 (15 oz) can creamed corn, salt, pepper, quite a bit of dried oregano, ancho chili powder, and cumin, some paprika, a little bit of basil, a bay leaf, just more than a splash of bourbon, and a bit of corn starch.  And some smoked jalapeno from my freezer.
This is the recipe that served as the "idea factory".  https://cookieandkate.com/vegetarian-chili-recipe/  I didn't use smoked paprika (although I think I have some) because I got good smoke flavor already.  I didn't have any bell pepper or celery - and I don't think I would have liked that as well anyhow.

There's also a tuna and capers and pasta recipe that I got from someone here once.   I think the only non-shelf-stable item is onion, which tends to last long enough that I almost always have some.

I think the puttanesca I do is also all canned or almost all canned (except for the pasta which is in a box).  I can't remember if I use onion or not.
Tuna and capers and puttanesca are both good ideas. I think the chili has too many specialized types of cans for me to make that work.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2021, 07:11:40 PM »
I like to have coconut milk on hand for making curries. I usually use frozen veggies if I don’t have fresh, but canned would work too.

Beans? We like refried beans here. But you have lots of options with beans.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2021, 08:09:55 PM »
https://www.budgetbytes.com/spanish-chickpeas-and-rice/

I made this with pantry ingredients the other day. I subbed bottled lemon juice and skipped the parsley since I didn't have any. Still tasty!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2021, 08:26:31 PM »
Tuna and capers and puttanesca are both good ideas. I think the chili has too many specialized types of cans for me to make that work.

The chili was what I had in my pantry when I made it.  The canned cream corn was coming up on expiration so I threw it in.  I prefer fire roasted tomatoes, but normal diced tomatoes are fine (but you might need more seasoning).  You probably wouldn't miss green chilis.  Your bean proportions could be different.  That's the cool thing about chili; it's flexible.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2021, 05:57:12 AM »
I make a pot of Jamaican rice and peas every week....canned kidney beans, canned coconut milk. I often add a can of other veg....corn or so.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2021, 12:12:24 PM »
also, Newt just posted a good looking stew recipe in another thread that uses canned borlotti beans

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »
What about chana masala?

Also salmon cakes with canned salmon.

You could take the backpacking approach. These might be too calorie dense (backpacking tends to be about lots of calories for not much weight). But maybe you could look into back-country style cooking and adapt for your calorie needs. People do a lot with dehydrated veg & butter & coconut. All highly shelf stable. But not sure it tastes quite as good when you arent physically exhausted.

https://andrewskurka.com/tag/backpacking-meal-recipes/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:04:57 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2021, 07:29:15 PM »
I make instant pot risotto with canned tuna and tomatoes. I also add olives in oil, but I suppose you could use the canned ones.

+-SUPPORT US