Forum > Food

Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipes please

<< < (2/4) > >>

RioG:
Thanks for that doc, I'm going to give that recipe a try.  I've always wanted to make and freeze paste.  One year I did make pizza sauce, but it must not have involved paste (or I have made it but can't remember...)

It is death by tomato season here, yet again.  4 - 6 weeks of guilt for letting any go to waste in the garden :D

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

DocBuzzkill:

--- Quote from: RioG on August 16, 2020, 12:04:53 PM ---Thanks for that doc, I'm going to give that recipe a try.  I've always wanted to make and freeze paste.  One year I did make pizza sauce, but it must not have involved paste (or I have made it but can't remember...)

It is death by tomato season here, yet again.  4 - 6 weeks of guilt for letting any go to waste in the garden :D

--- End quote ---

Heh.  I was totally thinking of you when I posted that Serious Eats recipe as well as the comment about having a shit-ton of tomatoes in a big garden. :D

The paste was awesome.  Much more depth of flavor than canned or tube paste.  Make sure to add the sprig of tomato leaves to the sauce, too. Really elevates the "tomato-y" flavor. 

rocketgirl:
I recently grilled some tomatoes in foil with olive oil, fresh basil, and some garlic salt and they came out really saucy - like I could spread it on bread almost.  (I might have had some carmelized onion in there; can't remember). I think I'm going to find a solid grill pan of some sort and make sauce on the grill.  It was SO GOOD.

Normally, I make a puttanesca on the stove, and it's not a real "sauce" consistency.  That's olive oil, then anchovies (if I have any; I've been known to dash in some fish sauce if I don't), then the garlic, then the capers, diced tomatoes from a can, whatever fresh grape tomatoes I have from the garden, sliced kalamata olives, basil, salt, red pepper flakes, and often throw in some spinach leaves (because it doesn't change the flavor and it's something green) or Italian parsley if I have some in the garden.

I've never actually tried to make a true sauce, but after what happened on the grill, I'm game.  Maybe small quantity for pizza or something.  (I don't usually put a red sauce when I make pizza.)

diablita:
Your sauce recipe sounds delicious

RioG:
So this thread inspired me to make some sauce for dinner yesterday.  Tomatoes, onions, garlic, carrots, green peppers, basil.   Every bit from my garden and it was So Good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version