Forum > Food

Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipes please

<< < (3/4) > >>

radial:
One year, back before I knew better than to plant 12 towering tomato plants for a family of two, I had a shit ton of tomatoes to process.  By the time I was done, half the pantry was taken up with jars of canned tomatoes.  We feasted on them for months.  They were SO much better than anything you could buy at the grocery store!  But that's the only year I ever canned tomatoes.  This city boy was so traumatized by the sheer magnitude of dealing with that much produce that I never tried it again. 

RioG:

--- Quote from: radial on August 29, 2021, 12:35:55 PM ---One year, back before I knew better than to plant 12 towering tomato plants for a family of two, I had a shit ton of tomatoes to process.  By the time I was done, half the pantry was taken up with jars of canned tomatoes.  We feasted on them for months.  They were SO much better than anything you could buy at the grocery store!  But that's the only year I ever canned tomatoes.  This city boy was so traumatized by the sheer magnitude of dealing with that much produce that I never tried it again.

--- End quote ---
:D  this is me every year.

I've done 6 quart jars of tomatoes, 8 pints of salsa (dh did those), 6 quarts jars of tomato basil sauce... and there's no end in sight even though I REALLY dialed back the tomato production this year.

Natasha:
I just watched this last night.... https://www.ted.com/talks/malcolm_gladwell_choice_happiness_and_spaghetti_sauce

redkitty:
Doc or anyone else who tried that longer recipe above...I have a question about the basil at the end...Do you just throw it in the sauce whole? Do you chop it up and put it in? If it is whole, do you then remove it after it has "steeped" a little?

DocBuzzkill:

--- Quote from: redkitty on September 02, 2021, 03:41:36 PM ---Doc or anyone else who tried that longer recipe above...I have a question about the basil at the end...Do you just throw it in the sauce whole? Do you chop it up and put it in? If it is whole, do you then remove it after it has "steeped" a little?

--- End quote ---

Do you mean the Serious Eats recipe?  You put a whole sprig of basil (leaves and stem) in the sauce and let it steep for 5 to 10 min, then fish it out.    The Serious Eats recipe calls for adding a small sprig of green tomato stem w/ about 5 leaves in addition to the sprig of basil, also steeping for 5 min then removing.  I tried that, and it was actually good! The tomato leaves add a subtle "green tomato" flavor. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version