Forum > Food

Tomato Pasta Sauce Recipes please

(1/4) > >>

wombleatwimbledon:
Give me your favourite tomato sauces please :)

I have a slow cooker and pressure cooker :)

RioG:

--- Quote from: wombleatwimbledon on August 16, 2020, 05:20:15 AM ---Give me your favourite tomato sauces please :)

I have a slow cooker and pressure cooker :)

--- End quote ---
Tomatoes... basil... oregano... carrots... lots of onions.  I just put in heaps of tomatoes and onions and carrots and the rest to taste.

If you like tomato soup:

Chicken stock
Tomatoes
Onions
Ground cloves
Carrots or sugar to taste (if you use carrots you can eliminate sugar often)

Cook everything for a while, skin on tomatoes, then blend and push through a sieve to strain and get the pulp out.  SO GOOD.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merigayle:
I do onions, garlic, tomatoes, salt basil. That's it. I put it thru a food mill before adding basil because DD and BF like smooth sauce.

Run Amok:
This is our favorite. Super simple.

https://food52.com/recipes/13722-marcella-hazan-s-tomato-sauce-with-onion-butter

DocBuzzkill:
A few years ago, I made tomato sauce based on the process described in Serious Eats:

How to Make the Best Tomato Sauce From Fresh Tomatoes

And I took pictures!

Tomatoes from the local farmers' market

Prepping to make tomato paste (yes, I made tomato paste)

Ready to pastify (long slow cook in the oven)

Tomatoes in my largest stock pot for the main sauce

End result from all those tomatoes

The sauce was amazingly good.  Like tasting August sunshine. I froze some for eating in the depths of February.

Would I do it again?  No.  On the other hand, if I had a large garden with a shit-ton of tomatoes of different varieties, including paste tomatoes, I might.

I use a from-memory marinara sauce recipe similar to the one RA posted.   

2 to 3 T olive oil
3 to 6 minced garlic cloves
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 T dried oregano
2 tsp dried basil
pinch of red pepper flakes
1 heaping T of tomato paste
28 ounce can whole tomatoes (I really like these, which I buy at our local Italian market/butcher's)
salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
Fresh parsley, chopped (about 1 T or more)
Fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (1 to 2 T)

Drain tomatoes and their liquid into a large bowl and squish the tomatoes with your hands.  In a saucepan, sauté garlic and onion in oil over medium-low heat until onion is translucent and garlic is golden-brown. Add dried herbs and pepper flakes, sauté for about a minute. Add tomato paste, stir well, and cook for a couple of minutes.  Add squished tomatoes and their juice to the saucepan and mix well.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  bring to a boil then turn down heat to a simmer.  Let cook uncovered over low heat for at least 30 minutes, stirring periodically.  When thickened sufficiently, remove from heat, add fresh parsley and basil, then serve.

I've never prepared marinara sauce using a pressure cooker or slow cooker, so I'm no help there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version