Author Topic: Hoka hoopla.  (Read 21664 times)

Offline Fionn mac Cumhail

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
Re: Hoka hoopla.
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2014, 12:30:12 AM »
Hokas are far and away the best.  Get excited. 
:)  Thanks...

I was a Mizuno man for years...but decided I'd try and go cheaper...which was fine for the last year or two, but the beating is catching up to me and affecting my training...

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2014, 09:45:56 PM »
The Skechers are narrow and cushy but short life span. Skechers go run ultras.

Somehow I own like 20 pairs of sketchers but none of them are running shoes.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2014, 09:02:02 AM »
Somehow I own like 20 pairs of sketchers but none of them are running shoes.
:D
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2014, 03:50:23 PM »
Putting in my order tonight....size up, down or norm?  This should be my last week of running in shitty shoes!

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2014, 05:01:38 PM »
I have to go down 1/2 size from my running shoe size.

So that's actually my dress shoe size.  :D

Others have found that they're true to running shoe size though.   They are roomy!
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: September 29, 2014, 06:58:18 PM »
I found them true to size.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
True to size here.  I.e., 1/2 half size up from dress shoes, just like all the other running shoes I've ever worn. 

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:50 PM »
Putting in my order tonight....size up, down or norm?  This should be my last week of running in shitty shoes!

It doesn't matter where you buy them just go to runningwarehouse.com first and use their shoe fitter app.  They have a 3D graphic comparison of any brand of shoe with whatever you're currently wearing.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2014, 08:51:43 PM »
It doesn't matter where you buy them just go to runningwarehouse.com first and use their shoe fitter app.  They have a 3D graphic comparison of any brand of shoe with whatever you're currently wearing.
:ok:  Thanks, y'all...

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2014, 03:11:48 PM »
Bam...shipped...

Now, off to break my legs in these broken down clodhoppers!

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2014, 09:23:46 PM »
UPS just delivered the Stinson Trails I ordered.  Goofiest looking I running shoes I've ever seen.  Real good fit though and I actually like their speed laces.  I'll probably try them out this Saturday.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:24 PM »
UPS just delivered the Stinson Trails I ordered.  Goofiest looking I running shoes I've ever seen.  Real good fit though and I actually like their speed laces.  I'll probably try them out this Saturday.

Somebody (trotter?) described it as running with futons strapped to your feet.   :roll:  Pretty much.  You certainly aren't going to win any beauty contests.  But I love the no-lace laces.  I used to retrofit all my running shoes with laces like that but the Hokas come with them out of the box. 

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 10:20:46 AM »
My experience:

I'm 3 runs (26 miles together) into the Cliftons...the first run, I was not impressed, but I attribute that to reading insanely stellar reviews for 2 weeks straight...my heel was killing me, and my gait seemed off...

My second run was a 12 miler, and my time was faster than my effort would indicate....less pain...

My third run, yesterday, was awesome...my legs were far less thrashed from the day before than I expected, and my PF/heel pain was small enough to almost ignore...as long as they hold up (I'm showing a little wear on a high abrasion area), I'm sold...due to the price, they'll have to hold me for 600 or so miles to be worth it...but, they don't have to hold up perfect for that long...they'll be my new shoe if they last...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:05 AM »
I think they can last for 600 miles. Not much more.

My race this weekend was the first time in a couple years Hokas was not the most represented shoe, it was Altras. My husband likes them, I do not. My Skechers were great and handled the trails well for a hybrid shoe. Still miss wearing hokas :( I met a few people at the race who could not wear the newer ones either, so hopefully the next ones will be changed for the best.

Offline DickWadzinski

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 01:20:03 PM »
Well  I didn't try out the Stinson Trails last weekend after all.  Instead I concentrated on two days of lethargy.

Fionn, I said earlier they do need some time in getting used to.  I've gone over 70 miles in my Cliftons and I'm still scuffing the soles on the pavement occasionally.  I attribute that to three things:  My Mizunos Elixirs that I'm so accustomed to have a thin sole and heel in comparison to Hoka, I probably still weigh a bit too much for the cushiony spring to propel me enough off the ground, and I'm a natural marathon shuffler who barely skims over the roads anyway.

• The Runners
  • El Superbeasto
    • The 44-40s
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 05:47:25 PM »
Well  I didn't try out the Stinson Trails last weekend after all.  Instead I concentrated on two days of lethargy.

Fionn, I said earlier they do need some time in getting used to.  I've gone over 70 miles in my Cliftons and I'm still scuffing the soles on the pavement occasionally.  I attribute that to three things:  My Mizunos Elixirs that I'm so accustomed to have a thin sole and heel in comparison to Hoka, I probably still weigh a bit too much for the cushiony spring to propel me enough off the ground, and I'm a natural marathon shuffler who barely skims over the roads anyway.
I totally get what you mean, now...

One thing I really like, I'm a heel striker, which if any of you are, you know that that is essentially driving your energy into the ground and putting on the breaks with each step...the medial rocker stuff, REALLY helps for a smoother transition from heel to mid/forefoot...after my first run, I was afraid that the hype was from cork sniffers with their godamned rose hips and woody notes, so I'm really glad I stuck with them...

+-SUPPORT US