Author Topic: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?  (Read 21952 times)

Offline RioG

• The Runners
So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »
I have just been introduced to the concept that all the cool kids dress up for races.   and I mean that literally - their race day outfits require more planning that I put in to an interview outfit.

Is this a thing?  Has this always been a thing?  What are your thoughts on this thing?  Yes, I realize this might come across a bit judgemental.

I was shocked at some of my recent races to seem women looking like they might be hitting up the bar after the run.  Or else they looked like Catholic school girls.

How do you dress for races?   

Offline caito

• The Runners
Re: So can we discuss running "fashion" here?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 08:58:36 PM »
Rule #1:  Be comfortable, dress appropriately for the weather.
Rule #2:  Don't look fat.  Choose the bottoms/top that looks best on me THAT PARTICULAR morning.
Consideration:  Maybe this will be the day I FINALLY take a decent race photo.

I usually have an idea of what I want to wear, either because it's been flattering recently or it's bright orange and bright orange is my favorite running color. 

I am not a fan of skirts or the Lululemon crap with ruffles.  Too girly.  I'm there to run.  I want to look like an athlete, not a pretty girl. 
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 09:04:20 PM »
Rule #2:  Don't look fat.  Choose the bottoms/top that looks best on me THAT PARTICULAR morning.

I usually have an idea of what I want to wear, either because it's been flattering recently or it's bright orange and bright orange is my favorite running color. 

I am not a fan of skirts or the Lululemon crap with ruffles.  Too girly.  I'm there to run.  I want to look like an athlete, not a pretty girl.  
yes!

I'm no stranger to the shit race photos.  I never look good in race photos, even when I was skinny.   

I don't mean people should be running in 10 year old sweat pants and ratty old t-shirts... I was just stunned to see this particular... look.  WTF?

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
I hear ya, sister.   And the makeup.  So much makeup!  If I wore makeup, it will end up smeared all over my face.

Sometimes I see women running (even at races) with their hair down, not pulled back.   And it looks good and not in their way!  How do they do that??
"Libs are all pro-choice until it comes to something important like trash service."

Offline droopy

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 09:41:00 PM »
Around here it seems like a lot of women wear bunhuggers with 3 square inches of fabric, bra tops with 2 square inches of fabric, and neon compression socks with 35 square inches of fabric. When they go to the point of wearing arm-warmers too I sort of wonder if there should be a stripper pole at the finish line.

And makeup. What does it say when your makeup weighs more than your entire outfit? Around here on really rainy days the makeup tends to turn into an impressionist body-paint job.  :)
Itur ad astra

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:43:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of skirts generally... Until
I got my lightweight brooks glycerin. I love it! The material
Is so awesome it can be drenched with sweat and you don't feel
Anything

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
How do you dress for races?   

i wear clean socks, marginally clean shorts (most of the time), and a snot-free t-shirt.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
Around here, people don't give a shit.  At least older people don't.  OK, me. 
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:53:15 AM »

Pretty much this.  Except the orange, because I look horrid in orange.  See Consideration.

I just packed my bag for Ragnar Wasatch Back, which is tomorrow.  I had to try everything on before I put it in the bag, because I've put on weight recently and I wanted to make sure my old standby running clothes don't make me look like a cow.  Not sure I was successful in that endeavor, but oh well.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 05:48:05 AM »
I was trying to decide if my feelings stemmed from the fact that I couldn't pull off the catholic school girl look, so was jealous, or if my contempt was legit. ;)  I don't care what people wear, it just seems to me that if you're an athlete... dress like one.  If you happen to be a super fast runner whose clothing can make the difference between a PR or no PR sure, run in bandaids.  I just can't imagine that a flouncing skirt and "compression" socks are helping you achieve your running goals.

Offline caito

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 06:23:31 AM »
I believe in compression socks.  I don't always run/race in them, but I totally understand why people race in them.   I do think they help fight fatigue. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 06:38:52 AM »
adidas shorts
Tech shirt from Target
lucky sox

'We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be' ― Kurt Vonnegut

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:45:26 AM »
I almost exclusively wear running skirts. I love them.  I have fat thighs.  that means I need to wear compression shorts so I don't get chub rub (sorry but body glide only does so much and it smells.)  So it means I can wear compression shorts and then shorts over that (bcz no one wants to see me in only compression shorts...nor would I feel comfortable in just those) or I can wear the skorts with the compression shorts already built in.  It is cooler (temp wise) for me this way, too.  It is still like wearing two layers, but the skirt gives more air flow than wearing two pairs of shorts.  i guess for races I just try to match and I will say I probably have some of those "catholic" girl school skirts you are talking about, but for me, I buy what is on sale and the non-patterned skirts do not go on sale as often.  The skirts are argyle patterns in different colors. But make no mistake, i am not dressing this way to look fashionable. I dress this way because it is comfortable for me. I also wear zero make up and normally a hat (hair is too short for a pony or I would wear one.)   

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:46:30 AM »
I find skirts really comfortable to run in.  I have a couple of them.  They do not have ruffles.  I wear shorts as well it just depends.   I never wear skirts when I am not running so it is not a 'girly' thing.  Then again if people want to feel girly when they run I do not see the big deal.   :shrug:  I never wear makeup to race but after seeing some pics maybe I should start  :D
Because PANTS

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
My only requirement is wicking material.  I have this super-charged internal body heater so I sweat early and I sweat often.

If it's above 70 degrees, I'll be soaked from my socks to my hair. Very fashionable.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:53:44 AM »
I will usually put on mineral powder, some eyeliner, and mascara.

If you weren't such a fast runner, I'd call you a cream puff.  :sidesplit:

Offline Carson

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 09:12:41 AM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. That's all I need. Oh, and a little rouge.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:29:29 AM »
Zero inseam side-split shorts, socks and shoes. That's all I need. Oh, and a little rouge.

Your avatar indicates a singlet and sunglasses are also necessary. :D

Offline Annoying Ultrarunner Wannabe

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »
Nothing completes a race ensemble like blood..

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 10:22:30 AM »
I like to be comfortable at races, I particularly like a compression style short for comfort and movement.  But I am not so fond of the cameltoe look that results, so I prefer a light attached skirt over the shorts.  In fact I own and wear the Lululemon ruffled skirt.  I am not afraid to be be perceived as too 'girly' either.  I don't see femininity as a negative quality to be avoided, or something the opposite of 'athletic'..... I think it is possible to be both at once.   I don't think that only by wearing track shorts similar to what the guys wear is the only way to be 'athletic'.  I have no contempt for females being female.
I wear sunscreen and lipstick also.   :-*

I always wear a shirt with my running club logo, singlet in the heat, long sleeve in the bitter cold etc.   I get points in the club Grand Prix for wearing the logo in races.

I wear a running hat, to keep my hair out of my face, control sweat from my eys and shade my eyes.
@artbydmcbride

+-SUPPORT US