Author Topic: A question about run/walking to start out  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
A question about run/walking to start out
« on: May 18, 2019, 12:36:28 PM »
I've been trying to get back on the running bandwagon. Running 3x week and building time each week.

I started with 10 minute runs, then 12, then 15. Next week I'll do 18, then 20, and then I'll start tracking miles instead of time. I usually add 10- 15 minutes of walking at the end just so that I'm on my feet for at least 30 minutes since I'm partly just trying to sit less.

I'm definitely fit enough to run more than I am but I've struggled with injury in the last and trying to keep it chill, esp since my weight is not at its lowest at the moment.

I also go to the gym and do a hiit type workout 3-4×/week.

Anyway, I notice that most beginner running plans include some type of walk/run interval. I'm just curious if there is  some secret magic to the walk/run interval vs just running for 10-15 minutes in a row?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: A question about run/walking to start out
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:21:02 PM »
See topic stickied above. Coyote has some great information from when he wuz Wilson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:54:01 PM »
I've read them. He includes alternating running & walking as to many beginner running schedules. He doesn't really address why the run/walk alternating-- which is really my question. I also read through some of hal higdon's materials (I have used his training plans in the past) and other than to address the idea of avoiding too much too fast, that your aerobic capacity builds up much faster than your muscle capacity, that it takes time to increase mitochondria, blood volume, & that a combo of walking & running is a perfectly legitimate strategy for finishing a given distance whether there is some function to building walk breaks in isn't really addressed. It's possible the answer is just that the idea is to get you used to being out & moving for 20-30 minutes at a time but I was curious if there is a structural (so to speak) reason for it.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 08:43:21 AM »
RA I think you answered your questions in the post above - run-walking is a way to allow your bones, muscles, and joints to adapt to the stress of running before you are ready to run continuously. And yes (that's my idea, not sure if Higdon or Galloway also advocate that) that 20-30 minutes is kind of what you are building toward for a baseline fitness level. But there's nothing that says you can't just keep going with the run walking for an hour or more. I just think that a consistent 20-30 minutes of running at a time, several days a week, for a few weeks is a good baseline level for building more upon that. And then you can build toward some popular race or run distances like 10K or half marathon--if that's what you want to do.   
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 11:21:30 AM »
Tanks, that's helpful! I don't know if I'll go back to organized races or not-- but I'd like to run 30-45 minutes a couple time a week +60ish minutes once a week in addition to the other stuff I'm doing. Of course-- so far I've been running only about 2x/week so we'll see!

+-SUPPORT US