Author Topic: Have we talked about this yet? Scott Jurek currently running the AT  (Read 49281 times)

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Re: Have we talked about this yet? Scott Jurek currently running the AT
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2015, 03:56:09 PM »
I didn't follow along the whole way, but it seemed like he was doing 50 miles pretty much every day from what I saw. Due to ME being steeper with climbs and with the expectation of being worn out, I would have thought he'd give himself more time at the end??

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
I think North to South for weather for those not trying for records ;)

He posted today, 3 hours ago, 189 or something miles to go. Will be TIGHT. I wonder if it is harder in terms of climbs in one direction or if the fresher legs on the harder ME section makes it faster, but it seems that N--->S is faster.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2015, 10:05:37 PM »
From what I've read, he's struggling right now, about a mile an hour.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2015, 06:09:47 AM »
From what I've read, he's struggling right now, about a mile an hour.
Have you seen any videos of the terrain? Brutal! I can see it taking an hour to go a mile. I think it was on his page the video. Or Luis Escobar's.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Looks like he ran thru the night. This is going to be the only way to get to the finish and break the record.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2015, 11:35:44 AM »
Here is the most up to date info
http://treeswiththefuron.bangordailynews.com/2015/07/09/home/scott-jureks-speed-attempt-on-the-appalachian-trail-is-a-real-nail-biter/

That says if he goes 2mph thru to the end he will make it. Now, anyone who has run an ultra knows it all sounds SOOOOOOO easy on paper :D Making it happen is another thing. My first 48 hour race was a HUGE slap in my face of the reality of that. BUT I am pulling for him.

siamesedream

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2015, 12:53:43 PM »
Somebody get a hamburger to that guy.

Offline nneJ

• The Runners
  • Breathing without remorse since 1976
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2015, 01:01:21 PM »
Somebody get a tofuhamburger to that guy.

FIFY.

GO SCOTT, GO!
I can't, just can't let myself be beat by people dressed as cheeseburgers.  ~Eco Ellen

Uh. Did I just get compared to a three-year-old on a sugar high? ~debbatx

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2015, 05:46:30 PM »
This shit is going to be close.  He needs Dusty to come back and crack the whip!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2015, 06:31:48 PM »
This shit is going to be close.  He needs Dusty to come back and crack the whip!
:rotfl:

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2015, 07:21:17 PM »
Somebody get a hamburger to that guy.

This is probably more profound than you intended it to be.  I don't know anything about this guy, but he's clearly undernourished.  I hope he nails his goal, but I'm not going to be too surprised if he falls short. 

siamesedream

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2015, 07:35:49 PM »
This is probably more profound than you intended it to be.  I don't know anything about this guy, but he's clearly undernourished.  I hope he nails his goal, but I'm not going to be too surprised if he falls short.

I agree.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2015, 07:45:09 PM »
All long distance speed hikers look malnourished at the end. Going 50 miles a day must be tough to keep up with your nutritional needs.

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2015, 01:07:25 PM »
All long distance speed hikers look malnourished at the end. Going 50 miles a day must be tough to keep up with your nutritional needs.

I don't believe he looks "malnourished". Skinny, yes.  Plenty of overweight people ARE malnourished.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
I don't believe he looks "malnourished". Skinny, yes.  Plenty of overweight people ARE malnourished.
Maybe malnourished is not the right word but i have seen a lot of before and after pictures of people who did long, long distance pursuits and they look so different than they did at the start. Maybe overly skinny and gaunt?

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2015, 03:16:53 PM »
Maybe malnourished is not the right word but i have seen a lot of before and after pictures of people who did long, long distance pursuits and they look so different than they did at the start. Maybe overly skinny and gaunt?

If it was just a matter of burning off some stored body fat, that would be fine.  But he's probably also burning lean muscle mass.  It would be fascinating if we had not only the ability to track his whereabouts but to track his body composition in real time. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2015, 04:29:18 PM »
SCOTTSCOTTSCOTT!!!!

Looks to be about 40 miles from the end with just over 24 hours to get it done.  Time to summon whatever the hell demons he has left.

COME ON JURKER!!! DO YOU WANNA BE SOMEBODY?????

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2015, 04:36:45 PM »
He can knock out 40 miles in 24 hours.  Go Scotty!

+-SUPPORT US