Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 221290 times)

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #700 on: January 07, 2018, 08:43:37 PM »
OK, my IP got a good workout this weekend.  The Mister made an awesome Irish lamb stew in it for Saturday night dinner, then I set up yogurt to ferment overnight (using Jersey cow milk - yields a really creamy yogurt).  I made a quasi-Italian wedding soup in the IP earlier today:  sautéd onion and garlic in olive oil, then added precooked Italian style chicken meatballs, chicken bone broth, spinach, and Israeli couscous (8 min under pressure, 10 min natural release).   Had some for lunch, and the rest will be  good for 3 or 4 lunches this week at work.

For dinner tonight, I made butter chicken in the IP - it was a hybrid of the twosleevers recipe and Sam Sifton's recipe (stove top, not IP) in the New York Times.  I thought the twosleevers recipe looked like it would be a little too bland for my taste, so I doctored it up quite a bit using Sifton's approach.  I think I could have just as easily made this in my large Le Creuset Dutch oven as the IP really didn't offer that much of an advantage time wise, but regardless, the result was outstanding.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 08:11:45 PM by DocBushwell »

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #701 on: January 07, 2018, 08:48:37 PM »
I made a whole chicken, and then a dozen hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs. Both were delicious.

I really want to make butter chicken now!!

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #702 on: January 08, 2018, 11:31:15 AM »
Make it.

The spices in the TS recipe were rich enough for my family and even made my husband sweat, but of course YMMV.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #703 on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
I keep reading this thread even though my IP pisses me off. Maybe if it were smaller.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #704 on: January 08, 2018, 07:53:36 PM »
I keep reading this thread even though my IP pisses me off. Maybe if it were smaller.

Did you get the ginormous one?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #705 on: January 08, 2018, 11:11:03 PM »
Did you get the ginormous one?

It might be useful for gathering signals from space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #706 on: January 08, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »
 :rotfl:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #707 on: January 09, 2018, 07:05:13 AM »
Uh oh.  Mine arrives tonight.  I hope it doesn't piss me off!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #708 on: January 09, 2018, 08:23:57 AM »
Amy-- they make a smaller model.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #709 on: January 09, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
Amy-- they make a smaller model.

I almost never use the 6 quart that I own so I'm certainly not going to get a second one!

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #710 on: March 15, 2018, 11:30:08 AM »
Now that I have had a little bit of time to experiment, I have *finally* had some successes with the instant pot. Getting perfect rice pretty routinely and the butter chicken was phenomenal. So far though, the biggest hit in our house has been the instant pot bolognese recipe. It's just incredible--far better than any of my stovetop attempts.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #711 on: March 15, 2018, 12:51:33 PM »
Now that I have had a little bit of time to experiment, I have *finally* had some successes with the instant pot. Getting perfect rice pretty routinely and the butter chicken was phenomenal. So far though, the biggest hit in our house has been the instant pot bolognese recipe. It's just incredible--far better than any of my stovetop attempts.
:heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #712 on: March 15, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »
I gave mine away - glad I bought it at a steep discount!

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
Instant pot?
« Reply #713 on: March 18, 2018, 01:03:24 PM »
I dragged out the IP after months of non-use and made this: https://kaseytrenum.com/ketolow-carb-unstuffed-cabbage-roll-soup-instant-pot-crock-pot/

It is a deconstructed stuffed cabbage roll soup.  It isn’t specifically low carb, that is to say, it’s a delicious soup that happens to be lower carb. I love cabbage rolls (my mom’s are unbeatable) but they are a PITA to make, so glad I found this recipe. It was really, really good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #714 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:30 PM »
My grandma's rolls (halupshes) were soooo good.  I may make this with non-meat ingredients.  Thanks!
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #715 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
Got an Instant Pot for my bday and finally tried it out tonight. Made some hard boiled eggs and the Sri Lankan Coconut Cabbage that someone (Meri?) posted here. HOLY CRAP! This thing is *awesome*! Can’t wait to try more stuff!

Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #716 on: March 20, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
Got an Instant Pot for my bday and finally tried it out tonight. Made some hard boiled eggs and the Sri Lankan Coconut Cabbage that someone (Meri?) posted here. HOLY CRAP! This thing is *awesome*! Can’t wait to try more stuff!

I probably posted that, with coconut?

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #717 on: March 21, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
I just spent precious minutes searching Yammering for this thread :D

I have made a pleasant instant pot discovery.  Eggs are porous and take on the smells/flavours.  If you make hard boiled eggs in an instant pot that recently had delicious herbs and spices in it, you get deliciously herbed and spiced hard boiled eggs.

I'm going to try this this summer with fresh garden herbs.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #718 on: March 21, 2018, 11:14:38 AM »
ooh that sounds delish!

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #719 on: March 21, 2018, 11:24:16 AM »

I probably posted that, with coconut?

OMG...SO FREAKING YUMMY!!!!

I am madly writing down the recipe/s from Two Sleevers, per Rochey's directive, and plan to make butter chicken next. I'm in love!
Happiness never decreases by being shared.

+-SUPPORT US