Author Topic: Fitbit: Work Out like a ...  (Read 11321 times)

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Fitbit: Work Out like a ...
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 09:15:22 AM »
I ordered mine, will get it Tuesday.  Yea!

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
  • Non-Repentant Slowtwitcher
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 10:19:33 AM »
I am probably buying a FitBit in the next few days...do you guys feel that you still use it? it still motivates you? This is my biggest reason as to why i have been holding off. I used to use a pedometer. That was fine for about a month...after that it did not motivate me anymore.

When you do, you can add friends [like me & Meri], and then it can get competitive [if that's what you're in to]
Blessed are the Nobodies, for Theirs is the Kingdom of Fascinating Stories

Offline redkitty

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 12:57:49 PM »
Will do.  I will post when I get it. I received a notice that it shipped today, so maybe will get it tomorrow or Monday (not sure the delivery method, I didn't actually open the email.)

Offline redkitty

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2015, 08:14:58 AM »
I got my FitBit Charge. It is wildly inaccurate. I got over 500 steps driving. Now I would expect some since your wrist isn't typically completely still while driving...but 500 seems a bit excessive. It was normal freeway driving...not off-roading.  I emailed the company to see if there is anything that can be done. i am doubting. I will most likely be returning this.  It also did not track my sleep at all. It said all you have to do is sleep and it recognizes it.  NOPE.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2015, 08:47:28 AM »
Here are DC Rainmaker's reviews of the Fitbit family of products [and others]

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/tag/fitbit

Maybe the Charge wasn't the right one for you?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2015, 09:43:36 AM »
I don't see how any of the other fitbits would fix the problem of steps being counted while driving. I also wanted the watch. i am not wearing two things on my wrist.  The sleep mode thing did not work at all, either.  It said I was asleep from 8:30-9:30, which is when I was charging the stupid thing.  That being said, i will give that part another try tonight. but getting 500 steps in one driving session is a lot.  round trip I will most likely get 1000 steps. if I walk only 10K steps, that is 10%.  I expect a better accuracy than that.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2015, 10:03:39 AM »
I have a Zip, which I keep in my pocket during the day, but clip on when I run; it's never counted steps in the car

Again, YMMV [literally]

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 12:32:31 PM »
I have never had it count steps from driving either and i wore it when I drove from NC ----> PA a couple weeks ago.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 12:35:31 PM »
I wonder if there's some Wifi in the car messing with it?

Try taking it off & leaving it on the seat [totally immobile] and see if it still picks up steps

Offline redkitty

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 02:32:29 PM »
I went out at lunch to run some errands it did not seem to pick up any steps while driving. The website that some steps will probably be picked up while driving...a few don't bother me, but 500 seems excessive. So I will see about going home today and again tomorrow morning.  I am not driving on a pot hole covered road. 

Offline redkitty

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »
Still getting a ton of steps driving in my car. This morning I got 400.  I think it might be the car.  a co-worker went out to lunch with me. She has the flex. She got extra steps while in my car but doesn't while in her car. I am going to have my DH try it for me on Friday since he will be taking the same route as me (and thus can give it back to me when we arrive) to see if he gets the extra steps while wearing it while in HIS car. 

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2015, 02:02:27 PM »
I think the universe is telling you to ditch the car and start walking to work.  :D

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2015, 02:10:11 PM »
In case you haven't tried this already, change the fitbit setting for handedness to "dominant."  That decreases the sensitivity of the accelerometer and should reduce the tendency to count activities like driving as involving steps. 

Offline RandMart

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2015, 02:15:25 PM »
I think the universe is telling you to ditch the car and start walking to work.  :D

Or start riding a bike

Offline redkitty

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2015, 02:39:23 PM »
Yea, walking and riding a bike will never work. 1. I live 20 miles from work and that is only 20 miles because I can take the freeway. It would be much longer on side streets. 2. I have to take my kids to daycare. I can see me now with the kids packed onto the bike with me. It is quite a funny picture in my head.

Customer support got back to me. They suggested that i go into activities and put down the time I am in the car, teh steps added during that time will automatically be taken off.  That seems like a PITA and I should not have to do that.  This morning I did nto wear it in teh car (as suggested above) and I only got 10 extra steps.  The weird thing is on teh way home I get hardly any extra steps. so not sure why i get so many more on the way to work...road conditions are similar. 

A co-worker and I just did two experiments with our fitbits.  She has the flex.  We went for a walk together.  I got significantly more steps than she did.  Not sure why.  Don't know if hers isn't sensitive enough or mine is too sensitive or if it is really just based on stride (she is much taller than me.)  So then we switched fitbits, I wore her, she wore mine.  I still got more steps than her while wearing hers. So I do think stride plays a part.  Then walking back to my desk I counted my steps.  My fitbit was only off by about 4, which makes sense since sometimes those first few don't always get counted.  So tomorrow we will test again...both walk the same route, counting the steps as we take them to see what we get.  We would do it today but we have already wasted enough time on this. I may round up otehrs in the office who have fitbits to compare.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2015, 03:12:59 PM »
Did you try changing your settings so the fitbit thinks you are wearing it on your dominant hand?  Seriously, that might clear up your problem. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2015, 05:02:00 AM »
I measured my stride and adjusted my settings and it became much much more accurate.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2015, 06:53:56 AM »
I am probably buying a FitBit in the next few days...do you guys feel that you still use it? it still motivates you? This is my biggest reason as to why i have been holding off. I used to use a pedometer. That was fine for about a month...after that it did not motivate me anymore.

so, did you get one?

Offline redkitty

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
so, did you get one?

Yes...all of the above about the inaccuracy was bcz of my FitBit.  I guess I should have updated this.  I had my DH wear it to work one day (just in the car, he can't take it into work) and he only got 5 extra steps.  Based on this, and the fact that my car needed an oil change, I had the car people look at my suspension.  Everything was ok there, but my tires were totally overinflated.  At 50 PSIs, should be at 35 PSIs.  I think that happened at my last oil change (different place than where I just took it, too.)  That has made a world of difference in these extra steps I was getting. I forgot to actually measure it this morning (was going to), but my end steps wehN i got to work seemed more inline as to what they should be (I checked it after i walked into work and daycare...meant to look when I got to daycare.)