Author Topic: A Runners Workout  (Read 5214 times)

Offline re_run

• Just Getting Started
A Runners Workout
« on: November 17, 2016, 01:15:56 PM »
I'm look for a wieght traing workout for runners. Somthing I can do at home with some light weights. I don't have time to get to the gym between work and running. I found a few things online, but I wanted to see if anyone could suggest a favorite routine, website, app, etc...

Thanks! CH Newbie. 

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
Re: A Runners Workout
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2016, 02:37:30 PM »
I'm look for a wieght traing workout for runners. Somthing I can do at home with some light weights. I don't have time to get to the gym between work and running. I found a few things online, but I wanted to see if anyone could suggest a favorite routine, website, app, etc...

Thanks! CH Newbie. 

Welcome!

When you say "workout for runners" what exactly do you mean? Something to complement your running or something to improve your running? If it's the latter, my view is that any training other than running is fairly pointless - you naturally have enough core and upper body strength that it will never be a limiting constraint on your performance.

Offline re_run

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
Welcome!

When you say "workout for runners" what exactly do you mean? Something to complement your running or something to improve your running? If it's the latter, my view is that any training other than running is fairly pointless - you naturally have enough core and upper body strength that it will never be a limiting constraint on your performance.

Something to complement my running. Somtimes on runs i feel like i could be phsycially stonger in certain areas. 

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2016, 06:33:33 PM »
Probably the best exercise you could do would be the "bench press".  You also might want to do some exercises for your back muscles.  Also, you want all of your lifting to be aerobic.

Powertec  makes a leverage weight bench that would allow you to bench press without needing a spotter.  They're pretty expensive new, but it is not to difficult to find them in mint condition for $400-$500, often with a few hundred pounds of weights.  They take up a lot of room, but if you have the space and budget, they are well worth it.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/p-67-workbench-levergymtrade-system-wb-ls.aspx

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:01:37 AM »
10 minutes core (planks, crunches, leg lifts etc.)

dips (using a chair), pull ups, push ups, rows, pull downs, reverse curls (triceps), bicep curls, bench with dumbbells or free weights. You needn't do all of these but a mix of 3 sets of 5 or 6 of the above will be a good workout and something you can do in about 30 or 35 minutes including the core work.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 02:25:38 PM »
what do you want to get out of the weight training?  bigger muscle? more power? more endurance?  get your arms and shoulders to look as athletic as your legs?

I guess what I'm asking, is what do you mean by being physically stronger?

Offline re_run

• Just Getting Started
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:47:22 AM »
what do you want to get out of the weight training?  bigger muscle? more power? more endurance?  get your arms and shoulders to look as athletic as your legs?

I guess what I'm asking, is what do you mean by being physically stronger?

I would like to be in better physical running shape. I don’t aspire to get bigger muscles or be ripped. I’m looking for a work out to compliment my running workouts. if better times come from it great.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »
I would like to be in better physical running shape. I don’t aspire to get bigger muscles or be ripped. I’m looking for a work out to compliment my running workouts. if better times come from it great.

there's plenty of good advice up thread... I would echo suggestions to start with the basics (planks, crunches, reverse crunches, push ups, tricep dips, squats, lunges) and add hill repeats in your running routine if you don't already

modified to add: I forgot deadlifts... a bit difficult with dumbells rather than a bar - partly because the weight should typically be fairly heavy - BUT single-leg deadlifts can be pretty effective with lighter weight

if you want to leave the difficult work of having someone else make decisions for you on what to do for how long and in what order, the internet is full of workout videos... with the caveat that I'm a middle-aged woman and probably exactly the target market for it, I am a big fan of Anna Renderer...  this is a 10-minute strength routine for runners: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Strength-Training-Runners-10-Minute-Workout-40385894... if you are looking for a cardio/strength/flexibility workout, this half-hour one is pretty challenging http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/30-Minute-Pilates-Cardio-Workout-35068924
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 11:26:47 AM by caribougrrl »

+-SUPPORT US