Forum > Running

Base Build Up: From Jogger to Runner

<< < (4/7) > >>

nadra's babydaddy:
Running for 4 hours a week along with the XT stuff will give you a solid fitness base regardless and there's certainly room for adaptation.  I probably wouldn't advocate running once a week for 4 hours though  :d

iwuzwilson:
Yes, a good goal for a fitness lifestyle is about 6 hours a week, including cross training.

Arrojo:
Thanks, Wilson.  This is good stuff.  My concern is that it may seem intimidating and complicated for a lot of new runners who want to improve but also want to just run for fun and enter races without the pressure of ensuring they are in perfect race condition for doing so.   

iwuzwilson:

--- Quote from: Arrojo on December 05, 2012, 09:26:38 AM ---Thanks, Wilson.  This is good stuff.  My concern is that it may seem intimidating and complicated for a lot of new runners who want to improve but also want to just run for fun and enter races without the pressure of ensuring they are in perfect race condition for doing so.   

--- End quote ---

Then put one foot in front of the other 3x a week for 20 minutes for a month or two. Add another 20 minutes so you are at 4X a week. Then start lengthing the duration of one of your runs incrementally until you reach 50-60 minutes. Add another day. Start increasing duration of running. It's pretty damn complicated I know, but I trust in people.

nadra's babydaddy:
You get out of it what you put into it.  I don't know if there is any other sport that this holds more true for.  If you're starting from scratch and going up to 20-30 minutes a few times a week, then naturally you'll have a big improvement curve at first.  You'll likely plateau a bit sooner than others who delve further into the training plans, but you'll at least be able to do the distance in respectable fashion.  From there you need to decide what the improvement is worth for you.  Lots of people are perfectly content with the few days a week plan and they're not exactly going to be world beaters, but thats fine and it works for them.  Running for an hour plus can seem daunting to many.  You could vomit and stuff. 

I don't think that's the sort of person Wilson had in mind when he was drawing this schedule up anyhow.  Intimidating I could see, but is it really that complicated to follow a daily schedule that's been laid out for you? 

When all else fails, just listen to Bowerman: "Take a primitive organism, say a freshman. Make it lift, or jump or run. Let it rest. What happens? A little miracle. It gets a little better. It gets a little stronger or faster or more enduring. That’s all training is. Stress. Recover. Improve. You’d think any damn fool could do it. But you don’t. You work too hard and rest too little and get hurt.”

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version