Author Topic: Wild weekend in athletics  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Wild weekend in athletics
« on: December 07, 2020, 01:17:25 PM »
The astounding road record of 58:01 for the half marathon (at 4:25 a mile), set just last year was shattered by four runners in Valencia, Spain yesterday. Led by Kibowott Kandie in 57:32, wearing Adidas supershoes, not Nike.
That just blows all comparative records out of the water (except Kipchoge's non-official sub 2 marathon from last year). https://www.valenciaciudaddelrunning.com/en/half/half-marathon/#results

Japanese start taking the 10K seriously, with new track records (27:18 M, 30:20 W).

There was a pretty good distance weekend in the US (California) over the weekend, and more than a dozen athletes made the very tough Olympic standards for 5000 and 10000 m. Women's 10K was particularly stacked and 6 or 7 ran under the Olympic standard of 31:25 (~5:02/mile).

Olympic marathon qualifier Ailphine Tiliamuk is 6 months pregnant, which will give her 6 months to prepare for the Games after having her baby.

I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
Re: Wild weekend in athletics
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 10:50:40 PM »
Go figure.  The world shuts down and leaves people with not much else to do but train their assess into the ground and now record books are being rewritten left and right!  Per McMillan, that half time translates into a 2:01.05 marathon, which is 30+ seconds faster than Eliud's race marathon PR.  At this rate he'll have time to recharge, go deep into another training cycle, and throw down with an Adidas-sponsored sub-2 challenge to see who can go "sub 2-ier" :runner:

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:46:49 AM »
More on the new shoes, and World Athletics tweaks the rules, prototypes now allowed in most races except Olympics and World Athletics series. Shoe wars are on!

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/dec/06/kibiwott-kandie-breaks-58-minutes-for-half-marathon-wearing-new-shoe-technology

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 10:00:26 AM »
How much for a pair of these shoes? Asking for a friend.
Hockey sucks

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 12:26:43 PM »
The Nike's go for $270, Saucony $200, and Adidas somewhere between $200-250. I'm not sure if the new Adidas are available on the market yet, but will be looking for them.

+-SUPPORT US