Author Topic: Forbes fires a shot at the Vaporfly  (Read 4991 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
Re: Forbes fires a shot at the Vaporfly
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 02:55:02 PM »
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 09:02:18 PM »
I won't even click. Because of course they would.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 08:01:50 AM »
I won't even click. Because of course they would.

It's a weekly thing over there, and Kara is at the center of a lot of incel angst and hate. Any time she's in the news they go crazy. I read maybe half the posts on the first page.

Anyway, just skimmed the Forbes article as well, but mixed on this. Not a fan of the Vaporfly technology and its impact on running. However, with the 4% itself, IAAF did review the shoe in 2016 and 2017 and said it's okay. So you have to go with that. And as far as the technology being available to all at time of OTs in 2016, even though this was a bigger technological step than normal, it is part of the game.

I'm hoping they put a limit on the shoes and maybe retroactively ban the Next%s, and not release the AlphaFly for competition and general use by the masses. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 10:53:07 AM »
Here's the latest from the Guardian, implies that everything but the Alphafly will be on the table for now:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/28/controversial-nike-vaporflys-escape-ban

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 11:01:24 AM »
Here's the latest from the Guardian, implies that everything but the Alphafly will be on the table for now:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jan/28/controversial-nike-vaporflys-escape-ban

That's what I've been hearing, and that they'll probably limit stack height. I think all that would be fair enough.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 11:23:23 AM »
yes, agreed. And I hope competitors start coming out with their own versions (within the constraints) that bring prices down. That would make me a lot happier.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 11:24:32 AM »
Not that I would buy the Nikes on principle (they lost my $$ for so many reasons at this point) but also I don't have a narrow forefoot so the Vaporfly's likely wouldn't work for me anyway. I already have problems associated to super high arches and the typical woman's foot shape, I don't need more.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 12:02:05 PM »
I have some of the same misgivings about the Nike shoes, including fit, and I'm holding out for other brands. I hear the Saucony and New Balance versions are good.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 02:52:26 PM »
Here's a bit on Brooks' Hyperion Elite:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-brooks-hyperion-elite-could-beat-nike-vaporflys/amp?fbclid=IwAR3JXkBkl-h0pfrbefl4S-GWUk3VRh_fnS8j-mZIUKXD5t47zxsnQijni0M

Obviously it includes some marketing fluff.  And the shoe is still pricey.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2020, 10:34:42 AM »
Just saw that yesterday and was going to post it. Not sure if the prices on these shoes will ever go down unless you wait until closeouts are available.

Today is supposedly World Athletics decision day on this whole line of plated/super-foamed shoes.

Here's a bit on Brooks' Hyperion Elite:

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-brooks-hyperion-elite-could-beat-nike-vaporflys/amp?fbclid=IwAR3JXkBkl-h0pfrbefl4S-GWUk3VRh_fnS8j-mZIUKXD5t47zxsnQijni0M

Obviously it includes some marketing fluff.  And the shoe is still pricey.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2020, 10:42:39 AM »
It's out. 40 mm stack height limit and shoes must now be available to anyone for at least 4 months. So no 2-4 leap as with the Vaporfly.

https://www.worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/modified-rules-shoes

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2020, 03:54:47 PM »
Mad scramble now for everyone to get their shoe on the street...except Nike of course.  Word on the street is that Saucony will have to scramble the most.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
Mad scramble now for everyone to get their shoe on the street...except Nike of course.  Word on the street is that Saucony will have to scramble the most.

I heard Adidas was furthest behind but they revealed a prototype the other week and it was said to be way ugly. Cheptegai (would lap Jim Wamsley twice on the track, sorry N'BD) set a world 10K road record a few weeks ago but those were on their standard lightweight flats.

I thought Saucony had something, but get mixed up on who is doing what. Is Molly Huddle running for Saucony? She's one who voiced some concerns late last year. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:01 PM »
Yes, Molly Huddle runs in Saucony.  I think the problem there is their "go to market" timing.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2020, 10:08:50 AM »
The release of the Brooks Hyperion with new foam and a carbon plate has met with mixed reviews. One of my online friends is repping the shoes for Brooks so maybe I'll get some inside scoop over the next few weeks.

I'm confused about the release of the Nike Alphafly, because last week World Athletics said no but this week Nike said they are releasing the shoe on Feb 29 in time for the Olympic Trials and the Olympics. Are we talking about the same shoe that Kipchoge wore for his sub 2?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2020, 11:01:15 AM »
I had heard the same about the Brooks shoe.  It sounds like all of the cushion with less of the energy return?

I hadn't heard that about the Alphafly.  Off to google.  If they *have* made a change to conform to the rules (stack height reduction) then they knew about the rules before they were published.  Highly possible.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2020, 11:03:10 AM »
Yup, looks like that's what they did.  One plate and 39.5 mm in thickness:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-shoe/nike-launches-new-legal-alphafly-shoe-to-outrun-tech-doping-furore-idUSKBN2001OZ

Essentially the ruling was written to legitimize their shoe.  They didn't make a change in 2 days.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2020, 11:09:28 AM »
Yup, looks like that's what they did.  One plate and 39.5 mm in thickness:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-athletics-shoe/nike-launches-new-legal-alphafly-shoe-to-outrun-tech-doping-furore-idUSKBN2001OZ

Essentially the ruling was written to legitimize their shoe.  They didn't make a change in 2 days.

I heard a bit of rumbling last week just after the rules came out but thought they were referring to last year's Next%.
No surprise. World Athletics and it's head Lord Coe have been sponsored by Nike for a long time. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners

+-SUPPORT US