Author Topic: What foods do you avoid like the plague?  (Read 54546 times)

siamesedream

Re: What foods do you avoid like the plague?
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 03:40:52 PM »
Ranch Dressing (people sneak it in stuff and it makes me vomit)
Shellfish (not picky...just don't want to die)
Soy (again not picky...I am intolerant)

I'm with you on the ranch dressing!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 03:51:38 PM »
I puked up pierogies in high school and probably went 10 years without eating them.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 04:07:17 PM »
Only in the America people can be picky about food.

Put some Northern and Western Europeans in the US and you will find complaints...  :)
Too sweet
Too large
Artificial...

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 04:43:09 PM »
avocado, full-fat dairy, red meat, French fries, hot dog, donuts, mayo, croissants, potato chips, pizza, beer, soda, coffee, anything with high-sodium content.

if I wrote out a list of favorite food items, almost all of those items are on it.

siamesedream

« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 04:52:59 PM »
avocado, full-fat dairy, red meat, French fries, hot dog, donuts, mayo, croissants, potato chips, pizza, beer, soda, coffee, anything with high-sodium content.

I love coffee, red meat, potato chips, pizza.

I like soda but have really tried to drink more water. Coke zero is good but it gives me hellish insomnia.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: August 07, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »
i need more sodium in my diet and just have a hard time eating salty foods to satisfy my sodium  needs.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2014, 07:31:01 PM »
Seriously Srsly? I think you fell off your soapbox and banged your head.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Maybe. But I'm the one who have no issues with food.

if I wrote out a list of favorite food items, almost all of those items are on it.

They are my favorite food items too. Maybe were are the weird ones in this forum.

Put some Northern and Western Europeans in the US and you will find complaints...  :)
Too sweet
Too large
Artificial...

True. I should say the western culture whose standard of living is pretty high that can be picky with food. My problem with some people's post here are the normal food items. Not the serving size, or how Americans make their food. I mean, rice is a very common food item, eaten by a large majority of the world population. If you can't eat rice, you can't be in Survivor. Just saying.

Worse than meal worms.  At least with the worms you get that little squirt when they pop.  Rice is so boring. 

:D

It is not just Americans that are picky eaters I know this for sure.  I do think sometimes being spoiled for choice makes people appear pickier.  If you are hungry and there is only one thing to eat you are gonna eat it.   :D

Exactly my thoughts. I know a kid who won't eat anything but pancakes in every meal. How does that even happen? Picky eating in the country I grew up in leaves one hungry and will have to wait for the next meal to have a chance to eat again. We didn't snack until we started school, and we ate the snacks only at school. Snacks were a rare treat for us kids while growing up. So none of them interfered with our appetite at meal times.

It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2014, 11:26:36 PM »
Fruit loops because of the barfing thing.  I'll eat just about anything else. I'm not crazy about chocolate chips in ice cream, or macaroni and cheese. And I avoid French fries for health reasons, but not like the plague ( I don't order them but I eat a few from other people's orders.   :-[ )

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2014, 11:46:08 PM »
Man, I WISH I avoided foods like the plague.  Even the foods that were formerly on my do-not-eat list are back on because I decided to give them another try and found that I liked them (capers, persimmons, roasted chestnuts.)

I love liver :(  I'm a liver lover.

There are things I eat that don't like me but I wouldn't say I avoid them like the plague.  I try to not eat garlic a lot, which SUCKS, but it gives me the WORST GAS IN THE WORLD.  It's not worth the discomfort and potential for embarrassment.

If there is anything I actively avoid, it's fast food. 

Sugar, wheat, and dairy fuck with me a bit but I get pleasure out of eating them, so I try to just keep it in moderation.  I am probably mostly "paleo" with some treats.

Ooh, wait, I thought of something.  Shellfish like shrimp, lobster, and crab.  I used to LOVE them until a friend from Maine referred to lobsters as "cockroaches of the ocean" so now I can't look at them without thinking of insects, which grosses me out.  HOWEVER... if it is out of the shell and chopped up, as in a seafood salad or ceviche, I will eat it, but my days of picking meat out of claws and such are over.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:49:20 PM by Dagstag v 2.0 »

siamesedream

« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2014, 01:05:06 AM »
Man, I WISH I avoided foods like the plague.  Even the foods that were formerly on my do-not-eat list are back on because I decided to give them another try and found that I liked them (capers, persimmons, roasted chestnuts.)

I love liver :(  I'm a liver lover.

There are things I eat that don't like me but I wouldn't say I avoid them like the plague.  I try to not eat garlic a lot, which SUCKS, but it gives me the WORST GAS IN THE WORLD.  It's not worth the discomfort and potential for embarrassment.

If there is anything I actively avoid, it's fast food. 

Sugar, wheat, and dairy fuck with me a bit but I get pleasure out of eating them, so I try to just keep it in moderation.  I am probably mostly "paleo" with some treats.

Ooh, wait, I thought of something.  Shellfish like shrimp, lobster, and crab.  I used to LOVE them until a friend from Maine referred to lobsters as "cockroaches of the ocean" so now I can't look at them without thinking of insects, which grosses me out.  HOWEVER... if it is out of the shell and chopped up, as in a seafood salad or ceviche, I will eat it, but my days of picking meat out of claws and such are over.

French fried lobster is very tasty, although some places might not be using actual lobster.

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2014, 07:04:33 AM »
I can't stand mussels....which makes no logical sense, since I LOVE oysters.

Other than that, I eat everything. I'm a true omnivore.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2014, 07:29:04 AM »
i need more sodium in my diet and just have a hard time eating salty foods to satisfy my sodium  needs.

I am the only one in my family who does not have high blood pressure. When I grew up, we ate low sodium/DASH diet at home. I just don't see the need to buy stuff with over 900 sodium content per serving.  And it tastes aweful.

How do you determine your individual sodium levels and needs?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
I am the only one in my family who does not have high blood pressure. When I grew up, we ate low sodium/DASH diet at home. I just don't see the need to buy stuff with over 900 sodium content per serving.  And it tastes aweful.

How do you determine your individual sodium levels and needs?
Well I do not eat processed foods so my sodium intake is not as high as the average American and I rarely eat out. I have extremely low blood pressure and have been to countless doctors and the best advice was to eat more sodium in my diet.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2014, 09:24:19 AM »
margarine, canola oil, corn syrup, white sauce
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:25:59 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:51 AM »
Well I do not eat processed foods so my sodium intake is not as high as the average American and I rarely eat out. I have extremely low blood pressure and have been to countless doctors and the best advice was to eat more sodium in my diet.

Same with me.  I try to salt everything  :D
Because PANTS

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »
margarine, canola oil, corn syrup, white sauce

Why canola oil? Asking because our babies' docs have us add this to their foods and they used to have us give them a dropper full straight! (Tried unsalted butter the other night but it didn't work for them -- though I may have added too much. Thinking we should switch to olive oil but not sure why.)

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:03 AM »
Maybe. But I'm the one who have no issues with food.

Right, I guess you save your issues for other things ;)

Take a break though, lady. I have been around here long enough to know you aren't exactly without frivolity when it comes to food. I don't think people going hungry in other countries would spend good money trying out fluffy sugar filled tiny cookies either. But you do. And that's cool. Cuz you can. And I can eat everything but rice and get along just fine :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 11:56:12 AM by teetime »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2014, 12:18:03 PM »
Why canola oil? Asking because our babies' docs have us add this to their foods and they used to have us give them a dropper full straight! (Tried unsalted butter the other night but it didn't work for them -- though I may have added too much. Thinking we should switch to olive oil but not sure why.)

I find canola tastes bitter and stale, no matter what brand. 

I just realized this is also my problem with quinoa, not only does it taste bitter, but also stale... even if it's not actually stale...
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 12:21:43 PM by caribougrrl »

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2014, 12:20:09 PM »
I also avoid corn oil.  To some extent I avoid canola and corn for political reasons, but I'm not consistent enough in my outrage to try an persuade anyone else...

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2014, 01:18:15 PM »
Right, I guess you save your issues for other things ;)

Take a break though, lady. I have been around here long enough to know you aren't exactly without frivolity when it comes to food. I don't think people going hungry in other countries would spend good money trying out fluffy sugar filled tiny cookies either. But you do. And that's cool. Cuz you can. And I can eat everything but rice and get along just fine :)

I think you are taking my comment way too srsly. I mean..yeah, I make money making cookies and that has to do with what? People going hungry? I'm in the US, in case you didn't know. I simply observed that poor people have no food issues. That's all.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

+-SUPPORT US