Author Topic: Can someone explain to me...  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Can someone explain to me...
« on: February 14, 2013, 01:18:43 AM »
How bacon is Paleo?

I just saw someone post their "super paleo" meal on Facebook and the main ingredient was bacon. How can a meat chock full of preservatives be paleo?

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Can someone explain to me...
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 04:41:11 AM »
Curing could be paleo.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 06:44:41 AM »
Technically, they say only certain kinds are paleo - uncured, nitrite-free, etc. I know most paleo people will only eat Applegate farms bacon or similar brands. I think Trader Joe's also has some that is ok per paleo folks.

Plus, since pretty much all they can really have for breakfast is eggs, they've just got to have something to go with them!  :P
This space for rent.

Online all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:55:25 AM »
What cgraz said, some is paleo and some isn't.  And it also depends on how strictly you adhere to the really detailed point versus just focusing on meat, veggies, and fruit.

But I have made my own bacon numerous times and it would definitely qualify as paleo!
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »
my brother eats hard-boiled eggs and steamed veggies for breakfast. 

i think it's like any other diet - people don't know what the hell they're doing.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:40:09 AM »
i think it's like any other diet - people don't know what the hell they're doing.

:D

they sure like to talk about it still, a whole lot of them.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 04:22:53 PM »
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 04:45:33 PM »
The one I don't understand is how things like almond milks and coconut milks qualify. Both would seem to employ methods of processing that weren't available to paleo man.

It would seem like any form of domesticated meat should be excluded as the makeup of game is very different than domesticated meat animals. Even if they are grass fed- they are still going to be fatter, etc. than you would see in the wild. For example, does "bacon" even exist on a wild boar? I have no idea, but would guess it is no where near the same level of fattiness.

I also question things like salt. Was paleo man using salt to cure/season meats? My guess would be no. So if not, then salt cured things probably would seem like a no- regardless of preservatives. But, whatdoIknow? I don't eat paleo.  :D
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:49:24 PM by Run Amok »

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

:hah:

The funny thing (another funny thing) is that I came home from the store last night with a bunch of stuff marked gluten free. I didn't mean to. I don't know if it's a subconscious thing or what.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 06:45:31 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline OldBaldHippie

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Onward through the fog...
Can someone explain to me...
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
I have a quick weight loss diet that involves bacon, fried eggs and grapefruit juice...where does that fit in?
searching for that lost shaker of salt...

Offline Courtney

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 05:00:55 PM »

True story. 

+-SUPPORT US