Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 24779 times)

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2020, 11:50:36 PM »
Kids are grown and gone so it’s just the two of us. Cooking has been a hobby for years, so very few changes for us so far.  Luckily our fancy grocery store is staying well stocked and very focused on sanitizing although we have switched from going there every day to more like once every week or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2020, 01:27:20 AM »
I’ve been craving nothing but bread and comfort food. All I want to make is meat and potatoes and bake. It’s been cold and raining non stop, so that doesn’t help.  DD and I baked banana nut muffins today (and used it as an excuse to do fractions). We need to get back into an exercise routine or we’ll all be 20lbs heavier before this is over!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2020, 08:28:14 AM »
This deciding on and cooking dinner every God damned night thing is annoying.

Tonight I'm making these tacos
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cauliflower-tacos-with-cashew-crema?_ga=2.111525060.1956398937.1584413293-amp-XWQqwA8OdzpiDOzhjCgD9Wu63R6f-7nGiEnPNawdRRdj3WZe-GEpz-GmU9RWDbMS
Yep. After a week and a half in a hotel with a 2 burner stove, I think I lost 3 lbs.  I'm just not willing to extend the energy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2020, 10:57:37 AM »
This deciding on and cooking dinner every God damned night thing is annoying.

Tonight I'm making these tacos
https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/cauliflower-tacos-with-cashew-crema?_ga=2.111525060.1956398937.1584413293-amp-XWQqwA8OdzpiDOzhjCgD9Wu63R6f-7nGiEnPNawdRRdj3WZe-GEpz-GmU9RWDbMS

I suggest the Newfoundland cooking thread for some inspiration. 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2020, 10:59:35 AM »
I suggest the Newfoundland cooking thread for some inspiration. 

:rotfl: thanks. I needed that laugh.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2020, 12:48:19 PM »
 :roll:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 12:49:00 PM »
OK I resubscribed to Purple Carrot.  At this point if DH finds their meals too complex he can eat canned soup those nights.  (delivery isn't until April 1st)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 12:51:29 PM »
We subscribed to Misfits Market for produce delivery. I hope it's not a bust! It will start up next week.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:53 PM »
Ooh I see ads for that all the time.  Let me know what you think.

They created an online farmer's market in our community since it's time for CSAs to get funds and roll out.  Those poor farmers.  So I subscribed to one of the biggest services in town (local, delivers) because they basically buy from the farmers and then distribute and I think they'll help even out distribution.  They also sell the yummy things you typically see at farmer's markets like freshly baked breads, preserves, etc.  This should work out well though they've admitted on email that they're a bit swamped right now so the first delivery may not go 100%

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020, 01:02:05 PM »
Also, this twitter thread might inspire:

Totwaffles are special in that they are among the elite order of foods which sound almost, but not quite, like a colloquial anatomical vulgarism. This alone may be nourishment in dark times. You are encouraged to lean into this fact as much as feels right for you.

Totwaffle

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 08:27:07 AM »
We subscribed to Misfits Market for produce delivery. I hope it's not a bust! It will start up next week.

I looked at it but was sceptical... like will we get onions and carrots and other cheap veggies?  I'm looking forward to the report. What size did you sign up for?

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 01:11:12 PM »
I looked at it but was sceptical... like will we get onions and carrots and other cheap veggies?  I'm looking forward to the report. What size did you sign up for?
I got the bigger of the two sizes, I figure if we wind up having too much we can either downsize or give some to the neighbors.

If it’s anything like my csa experience, it will be a mix of cheap and expensive produce. It’s all supposed to be organic so between that and the home delivery I expect to pay a little more, and I’m fine with that.

I feel like this format of supply chain reduces the exposure of the food to workers and shoppers, so that’s hopefully going to be a nice side benefit.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2020, 11:19:39 AM »
You know what they don’t tell you about sheltering in place indefinitely?

All the goddamn dirty dishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2020, 12:08:31 PM »
OMG i have been doing so many dishes.  :e)

Today made bf an omelette with spinach, mushrooms, onions and goat cheese. I had Irish oats and DD had fruit crepes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2020, 01:53:36 PM »
OMG i have been doing so many dishes.  :e)

Today made bf an omelette with spinach, mushrooms, onions and goat cheese. I had Irish oats and DD had fruit crepes.
All involving different mixing bowls and pots/pans.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2020, 07:22:17 AM »
So many dishes! And it’s just me and the cat. I do have a dishwasher but I still hand wash a bunch of stuff.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2020, 07:28:52 AM »
One thing about living in a place with super-limited restaurant options, is that we are accustomed to preparing our own meals pretty much every day.

Our local chinese-canadian restaurant has been really proactive and made a lot of changes to accommodate people in isolation. They now do delivery (used to be dine-in or take-out only), they have set up the ability to order and pay online, they have an option when you order online to identify no-contact delivery. The person coordinating orders is working from home so that the only restaurant staff are the cooks and delivery drivers. This might sound kind of ordinary, but for here, this is a big deal. So, to help support local business, an in particular to support the very tiny local chinese food industry during these times... we ordered non-contact take out on Saturday. Weirdly, this was my fortune:

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2020, 07:33:41 AM »
Yesterday we did lamb biryani in the crockpot (variation of this chicken biryani recipe: https://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-chicken-rice-biryani-228935). We will eat leftovers today for dinner, probably freeze the rest for lunches down the road.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2020, 08:44:28 AM »
yesterday i made 4qts of lentil soup and 3 of cassoulet (vegetarian, for DD). We are pretty set for a long time and a instacart aldi order coming tonight.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2020, 11:19:09 AM »
i made corn chowder and black pepper rolls last night
tons of chowder left over, that's in the fridge in tupperware

will make meatloaf today, served with rice and some green vegetable

tomorrow, i will probably make veggie lasagna

+-SUPPORT US