Author Topic: BAA 2020 Boston Marathon qualifying times are in!  (Read 3582 times)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
BAA 2020 Boston Marathon qualifying times are in!
« on: September 25, 2019, 02:34:04 PM »
Another ouch if you're on the bubble. It was slated to be 3:00/3:30 for open men and women (masters age graded somewhat, but generally relatively easier standards as you age). But with the adjustments (and allowing 31,000 in this year!) it's going to be under 2:58:21 and 3:28:21. Tough for those who stepped up from last year and still didn't make it.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
Re: BAA 2020 Boston Marathon qualifying times are in!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 03:14:18 PM »
If I were a woman I would've missed by 1 second  >:(   
(assuming I could magically go out there tomorrow and replicate my PR)

BANDITBANDITBANDIT!!!

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 11:20:36 AM »
When you're the oldest show in town, you get to make the rules. 

We wouldn't have all these time restrictions if they just went back to banning women!  >:(

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 04:10:49 PM »
BAA and Boston is Laz and Barkely X30 or how many make up their committee. So the selection process has become a big part of the organization and the race, and they do things the way they do because they are Boston and they can.

They need to zero in on a 2:50/3:20 or 3:15 time, age grade accordingly to the nearest minute of age grade times and cap it at 30,000 or 35,000. That'll hold things off for 5-10 years.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 04:32:30 PM by Coyote Mas Loco »

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
I'm hoping to BQ this year and my goal is to be > 5 min faster than the cut off
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 10:19:16 AM »
I'm hoping to BQ this year and my goal is to be > 5 min faster than the cut off

Good goal! Are you doing Indy as a qualifier? You did that half last year, right.

The continuously upped standards give me a reason to try something crazy.

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 11:13:52 AM »
STGEORGESTGEORGE!!! Point to point downhill, 2600ft net elevation loss, still a Boston Qualifier.   8)

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 11:22:05 AM »
There is a lot of talk of eliminating BQs from the downhill races like St. George and the Revel Series.

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 02:06:54 PM »
NONONO!!!

But it makes sense.  There’s a local smart runner guy who ran an analysis of Utah marathon courses plus a few other major ones.  I’ll look for it when I’m in front of my computer, but I think Chicago actually worked out to a faster course.  Could be the elevation or quad-frying factor.

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 02:52:58 PM »
Remember back in 1971 or so when anyone could just send an application into the BAA and run the race?   :old:  That was my 5th year of volunteering for the race.
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 03:46:23 PM »
NONONO!!!

But it makes sense.  There’s a local smart runner guy who ran an analysis of Utah marathon courses plus a few other major ones.  I’ll look for it when I’m in front of my computer, but I think Chicago actually worked out to a faster course.  Could be the elevation or quad-frying factor.

I've heard of a couple quasi quantitative evaluations and it seems to be kind of a wash. The majority of runners slow significantly at Boston compared to their qualifier.

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2019, 10:10:11 AM »
Found it! http://www.asksasha.com/predictor.php.

It accounts for other variables like weekly mileage, but it looks like a 3:30 at St. George is worth a 3:34 in a flat sea level marathon (they lump them all together) and a 3:38 at Boston. 

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2019, 01:19:26 AM »

I age up for 2021, so I guess I will try to qualify again this year... gulp
@artbydmcbride

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2019, 06:55:16 AM »
Good goal! Are you doing Indy as a qualifier? You did that half last year, right.

The continuously upped standards give me a reason to try something crazy.

Yes, hopefully weather, training and effort line up to qualify at Indy.  I registered for CIM (b/c I knew it was selling out) as a back-up but hope not to need it.

And I wouldn't run one of those net downhill races to try to BQ; agree that I don't feel good about it.  But also people underestimate how much a significant drop over a long time can tear up your legs.  It adds a variable to race day that I don't want in addition to an advantage that I wouldn't feel 100% good about.  The second leg in the Ville to Ville relay was 6 miles of significant down (dropping into SC) followed by some flat and then screaming up for the last couple of miles.  I had no legs left by the end.

That being said, my middle sister loves running the halfs out there so don't be surprised if I end up near you for a half in the next couple of years, Kevin.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 03:09:48 PM »
I age up next year too! 3:05 (which is actually faster than what the open standard was when i was a college stud with an outside chance, but it is what it is).....Should be a piece of cake  :smokin:

The standards are so outlandish that I'd try anything (within legal limits) to hit it if I were in the ballpark performance wise.  If a race is acceptable to the powers that be as a qualifying race and I get in that way, then I feel okay about it.   Even if I make it in that way by the skin of my teeth then I'm still faster than the vast majority of the field with all the 4-5hr folk who have charity dollars to blow. 

Or I could just put my name as "K.J. Labresh" on the application to make them think I'm a woman and I pick up an extra half hour!  :!:  #fullcircle

That being said, my middle sister loves running the halfs out there so don't be surprised if I end up near you for a half in the next couple of years, Kevin.

YESYESYES!!! There are plenty of "honest" ones you can find out here too.  Come to Moab in March and do Canyonlands! (or 'Candylands' as I prefer)   :runner:

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »
There was a race in RI where the qualifying times were 5 min. faster than Boston, and that was the only way you could get in. No charity runners or corporate race bibs, etc.  In Naragansett, I believe.  I ran it and really liked that race a lot. I wonder if it's still around.

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2019, 02:52:30 PM »
I still just don’t get the 30 minute difference between men and women 🤷‍♂️

Offline Arrojo

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2019, 08:50:14 PM »
There was a race in RI where the qualifying times were 5 min. faster than Boston, and that was the only way you could get in. No charity runners or corporate race bibs, etc.  In Naragansett, I believe.  I ran it and really liked that race a lot. I wonder if it's still around.

Was that Iap’s race?
I would get drunk on Bud Light with Dylan Mulvaney.

+-SUPPORT US