Author Topic: Quarantine food thread  (Read 24755 times)

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
Re: Quarantine food thread
« Reply #100 on: March 27, 2020, 01:22:58 AM »
I do relish in tuna salad as a substitute. We are huge pickle eaters. We probably have 3-4 different jars in the fridge right now, one of which is a jumbo Costo size. That doesn’t include multiple varieties of relish. Sweet pickle, dill pickle spears, dip chips for hamburgers, gherkins—just the ones I can think of off the top of my head!

On the other hand, I can’t fathom going through 16 oranges before they went bad! :)

Offline orzabellle

• Passed on to another Brane
  • I prefer a flan
Covid culinary adventures go here
« Reply #101 on: March 27, 2020, 07:43:17 AM »
What are you cooking/baking?

Besides bread (that Mark Bittman no-knead recipe that bakes in a Dutch oven), I’ve had time for home-made chicken stock that then became avgolemono. And slow-roasted cherry tomatoes. But I am anxious (truly) to go deep on this and do some really complicated, attention-absorbing stuff I haven’t already done before.
Your all just jelouse - Tammy from Ticonderoga

Offline RioG

• The Runners
Re: Covid culinary adventures go here
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2020, 07:54:28 AM »
Business as usual here, though dialing back on the grocery bill in a big way.  I have a freezer full of green peppers and tomatoes, I think I might make more salsa this weekend (usually made fresh, but making hay and all that).

This morning (I was up at 3) I watched a video on cold start yogurt in the Instant Pot and realized my IP has a yogurt button, so I'm trying that.  Will be easier than having to boil the milk if it works.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #103 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:04 AM »
I merged the two food threads. :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #104 on: March 27, 2020, 09:36:29 AM »
I have challah dough finishing its first rise (started it yesterday and let it sit in the fridge overnight)
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #105 on: March 27, 2020, 01:13:38 PM »
 Our big plan this weekend is homemade pizza.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2020, 02:02:29 PM »
tonight: hummus, roasted peppers, roasted cauliflower, warm pita, some of the dwindling wine supply

tomorrow: takeout chinese from the local place that changed all of their business processes in a matter of days in order to adapt to the public health orders  :heartbeat:

Sunday: https://www.nigella.com/recipes/chicken-in-a-pot-with-lemon-and-orzo... possibly the end of the dwindling wine... last day of isolation is Tuesday, so provided the liquor stores* remain open through Wednesday, that should be good timing...

our liquor stores are public retailers, not private... they moved quickly to adapt for social distancing... you have to pre-order by phone or online, they give you an appointment time... orders are sanitized as they are picked... one person per open register in store at a time, with staggered entry/exit... debit or credit TAP ONLY so no one has to touch machine, but also, by default, limits you to a max purchase of $100 and prevents against hoarding and supply bottlenecks... plexiglass installed to protect workers from public

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2020, 02:57:44 PM »

our liquor stores are public retailers, not private... they moved quickly to adapt for social distancing... you have to pre-order by phone or online, they give you an appointment time... orders are sanitized as they are picked... one person per open register in store at a time, with staggered entry/exit... debit or credit TAP ONLY so no one has to touch machine, but also, by default, limits you to a max purchase of $100 and prevents against hoarding and supply bottlenecks... plexiglass installed to protect workers from public

We shopped at the liquor store in Placentia when we stayed at the Best Kind B&B thanks to you.  :-*. I still have the bottle of vodka (unopened) that's said to be made with water from icebergs. No clue if it's decent.

"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #108 on: March 27, 2020, 03:28:48 PM »
We shopped at the liquor store in Placentia when we stayed at the Best Kind B&B thanks to you.  :-*. I still have the bottle of vodka (unopened) that's said to be made with water from icebergs. No clue if it's decent.

It's no Grey Goose, but it is actually very decent vodka. Good thing you did not buy their gin or rum though...

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2020, 06:58:22 PM »
I've used my instapot more during this SIP than I have the last two years.
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 07:44:26 PM »
Well the cold start yogurt was a bust.  Boo.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2020, 07:57:53 PM »
Well the cold start yogurt was a bust.  Boo.

Odd.  I don't make it any other way now.  Works (almost) every time. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 08:31:52 PM »
Baked sweet potato with wild rice and pinto beans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #113 on: March 28, 2020, 07:44:42 AM »
CA, that looks delicious.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #114 on: March 28, 2020, 09:23:19 AM »
OBH posted this interior cover shot from ZZ Topp's Tres Hombres lp on his FB page and I can't stop the jonesin'

Y'all need to suffer with me

I have the stuff to make several of these collective items so tonight we feast!!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #115 on: March 28, 2020, 10:13:18 AM »
Practicing up my apocalypse skills.  Found a pancake recipe that uses three eggs.  I'm always looking for ways to use up the eggs

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #116 on: March 28, 2020, 10:45:01 AM »
yum!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #117 on: March 28, 2020, 11:30:54 AM »
calzone for supper today

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #118 on: March 28, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »
Made waffles for breakfast. I usually avoid that task because it’s so time intensive, but now I have nothing BUT time, so...

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #119 on: March 28, 2020, 12:41:18 PM »
I always think of waffles as taking more time than they do and then the fam is alway so happy to have them.

I really really wish we had chickens right now.  I'm feeling like I won't be able to keep enough eggs in the house for Passover.

+-SUPPORT US