Author Topic: Are there ANY crockpot meals that don't end up a mushy mush?  (Read 7937 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Are there ANY crockpot meals that don't end up a mushy mush?
« on: October 23, 2014, 03:52:11 PM »
Everything I have made has been too soft or too mushy. I made a whole chicken years ago, but it was just too soft. I am trying to declutter my kitchen. I haven't used my crockpot in about a year I believe. I'm giving it one last to before I get rid of it forever. People are always looking for crockpots over here, even better if they are 110v. What are all of these people making in their crockpots??
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Are there ANY crockpot meals that don't end up a mushy mush?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 04:05:41 PM »
I rarely use my crockpot. LIke you, I don't find them that useful. That being said, I have found a few recipes that work really well in them. But I also have a 3.5 quart one. My 6 quart one is too big.  But I can make a good beef brisket and beef and noodles (though I cook the noodles on the stove.) Not that this helps you, but I also learned how to make ham in the crockpot not that long ago.  The brisket requires me to brown and stuff before I put it in the crock pot, but the other two don't.  Other than those things, I have not found it very useful.  I could also make all of those things in the oven, but it is nice to have the option for these meals during the work week when I don't have 1-3 hours after work to cook. 

I have made a few tasty chicken things in them as well, but they never look appetizing (without browning first chicken just looks gross.)

LilyLily

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 05:01:10 PM »
There's a tortilla soup that is awesome.  I'll see if I can find a link or something for you.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 05:17:25 PM »
The boyfriend mentioned pique criollo, so I'm looking at this.  http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/09/puerto-rican-pernil-slow-cooker-recipe.html  It looks like the seasonings form a crust on the pork.  (I know you don't eat pork, but maybe something similar on a beef roast?  And yeah, you probably can't eat the pique either unless you don't allow it to ferment those 2-3 days.

Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline redkitty

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:42:17 PM »
I forgot, I also make my pot roast in the crock pot.  If I try to make it in a roaster, it always comes out dry, but not in the crock pot.  Again, i am sure i could figure this out and do it in the oven. Again, it does give me the option to eat this during the week and not just the weekend. 

As far as soups and stews...again, all can be done on the stove top and none probably need to be on for more than an hour or two tops. But for safety reasons, crockpots are good for this (e.g. you can leave the house and do things.)  I don't really use the crockpot for these purposes, but I can see why you would. But again, unless you have a smaller crockpot you will end up with a ton of soup.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:57:36 PM »
nope
Because PANTS

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:39 AM »
If you use it correctly stuff doesn't come out mushy. You overcook it and it does.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 10:42:20 AM »
No, but there are lots of mushy foods that are good. Chile, soups, beans, shredded meat, dips.

The best thing about the crock pot is using it when you have company--typically a larger group-- and it's a serve-yourself kind of scenario. Chile in the crockpot, bowls and toppings next to it, everyone fixes their own bowls and finds a place to sit. If you left the chile on the stove, you'd either have to leave a fire on underneath it and keep a close eye on it, or turn it off and it'd get cold.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 01:37:38 PM »
No, but there are lots of mushy foods that are good. Chile, soups, beans, shredded meat, dips.

The best thing about the crock pot is using it when you have company--typically a larger group-- and it's a serve-yourself kind of scenario. Chile in the crockpot, bowls and toppings next to it, everyone fixes their own bowls and finds a place to sit. If you left the chile on the stove, you'd either have to leave a fire on underneath it and keep a close eye on it, or turn it off and it'd get cold.

If you have chile in a crockpot then you must have one huge crockpot. 😜😜😜

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
If you have chile in a crockpot then you must have one huge crockpot. 😜😜😜

??? Standard size. How much chile do you make at one time?!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 02:13:36 PM »
??? Standard size. How much chile do you make at one time?!

We make chili.  We do not cook the entire country of Chile.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2014, 02:31:21 PM »
We make chili.  We do not cook the entire country of Chile.

:D Oops. I've been studying Spanish, lo siento!

Hope this isn't the first sign of Alzheimers. I'm a certified Spelling Champion.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 03:35:28 PM »
My spelling went to shit after 3 years of high school Spanish, so good luck with that!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 09:01:08 PM »
I use it for pea soup, lentil soup, apple sauce, chicken cacchiatori, oatmeal, for baking potatoes, for root veggies. The root veggies are delicious in there.

It's not meant for a gourmet meal, but it is a practical appliance for $15 that has given us many, many good meals.  I am satisfied with it.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 09:50:10 PM »
I have a combination slow cooker / pressure cooker and that thing is the bomb. I cook as much stuff in this device as I do on the stove.  If it just did the slow cook thing, it wouldn't deserve a spot on the countertop.  But the pressure cook feature allows you to make things in a tiny fraction of the time that would be required by conventional methods.  Love it. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
I use my crockpot to make meat that I shred for tacos or BBQ sandwiches (chicken, beef, or pork), soups, beans, chicken stock, and applesauce.  If you're expecting the chicken to come out like a roasted chicken, it won't.  I think it's too soft to put in with pasta but it's good in salads, enchiladas/tacos/burritos, sandwiches, and stuff like that. 

My family also uses crock pots to reheat previously cooked things like mashed potatoes on Thanksgiving.  My family is huge though, normal people probably don't need to keep 20 lbs of mashed potatoes warm in addition to everything else.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2014, 09:15:12 AM »
I made some excellent short ribs in mine. I don't know about cooking chicken though, I feel like tougher meats turn out better than chicken in the crock pot.

It's also good for dips :D Have a party and make some dip! :d

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2014, 11:21:39 AM »
When I make chicken I put the pieces into the crock pot frozen. I have had good luck with this method.

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2014, 03:41:23 PM »
I made some excellent short ribs in mine. I don't know about cooking chicken though, I feel like tougher meats turn out better than chicken in the crock pot.

It's also good for dips :D Have a party and make some dip! :d

:D :D

If you use it correctly stuff doesn't come out mushy. You overcook it and it does.

I don't mean overcooked mush, I mean the food is too soft, but i'll try a recipe like nadra suggested, something that has to be shredded or diced. Still hot here in Saudi so DH won't eat soup or chili. I can have them year 'round no matter the weather. A long long time ago I made a really really good chili in the crockpot, and of course I lost the recipe :(

+-SUPPORT US