Author Topic: Headlight or running lamp recommendation  (Read 26999 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Headlight or running lamp recommendation
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 12:11:25 PM »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »
I ended up carrying a big maglite flashlight instead.

Yeah, I went with the flashlight solution too.  The one I referenced upthread is small enough to clip to your waistband.  It's only 5.5 inches long and weighs just 157 g with batteries.  Three different lighting levels with the highest one being a blinding 550 lumens.  Works for me :)

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 01:33:55 PM »
Yeah, I went with the flashlight solution too.  The one I referenced upthread is small enough to clip to your waistband.  It's only 5.5 inches long and weighs just 157 g with batteries.  Three different lighting levels with the highest one being a blinding 550 lumens.  Works for me :)

"tactical flashlight". Love it.
The big mag I ran with was about as heavy as a Louisville Slugger.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
I love my Petzl "Zipka" with the retractable "headband."

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2014, 02:55:08 PM »
I love my Petzl "Zipka" with the retractable "headband."

Does that one hurt?

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2014, 07:45:02 PM »
I've been waiting for you! :D

Offline Hobie1

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »
I have an old Petzl Tikka but I don't wear it much.  I find that when it is really cold in the morning all I see is fog in the light so it defeats the purpose.

I've noticed that many people wear knucklelights or carry small flashlights.   For some reason the new trend is to get as much candlepower as possible so you can blind the poor SOB coming towards you on the path.  The other morning I came upon a pod of female runners, all of whom had 5 million candlepower headlights or flashlights that they flashed in my face as they yelled good morning and good job.  I couldn't see shit for about two blocks.
“It’s easier to fool people than convince them they have been fooled.”

-Mark Twain

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »
For some reason the new trend is to get as much candlepower as possible so you can blind the poor SOB coming towards you on the path. 

I run my flashlight on the lowest or second lowest power setting with a red filter so nobody's night vision is going to be impaired.  But I kind of like having 550 lumens just a click or two away.  If/when things go bump in the night, it's nice to be able to light up the immediate environment like a surgical amphitheater. 

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »
I had heard about knuckle lights as well.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2014, 10:44:01 PM »
Maybe it's kind of like a Doppler thing? A driver sees a white light and he expects it to be coming toward him, no matter which side of the road it's on; he sees a red light and expects that it's moving away. A red light on the front, coming towards him, might make for some confusion and could cause an accident.

Or maybe it's a non-Doppler thing.  When I see a reddish light I think, hey, that's something I need to pay attention to.  If I don't, it might result in an accident (if it's a traffic light) or a citation (if it's a cop).  White light is no big deal.  :shrug:

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2014, 12:03:54 AM »
I borrowed my friend's knuckle lights during my last Ragnar and really liked them.  I was running on uneven ground on the shoulder of the road and it was much easier to see my footing with them, and I was less annoyed by holding them than I was by the headlamp I was also wearing.  I'm not sure I'll pony up the cash for my own pair since I don't run outside at night unless I'm running a relay race, but if I knew I'd use them on a regular basis I would.

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2014, 12:25:21 AM »
I borrowed my friend's knuckle lights during my last Ragnar and really liked them.  I was running on uneven ground on the shoulder of the road and it was much easier to see my footing with them, and I was less annoyed by holding them than I was by the headlamp I was also wearing.  I'm not sure I'll pony up the cash for my own pair since I don't run outside at night unless I'm running a relay race, but if I knew I'd use them on a regular basis I would.

Running through Las Vegas would definitely be the optimal time to have some of those!

Offline ihop

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »
I can't remember the brand of my headlamp but know that it is a "junior" size.  The adult ones were too large.  And I, too, have to wear it with a hat.

I also bought one that clips to the hat or visor bill.  It was very light weight but it only lasted a few weeks before I couldn't get it to turn on.   :(
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2014, 10:20:15 AM »
I'm leaning towards the knuckle lights now, which is too bad, because they don't sell those at LL Bean, where I wouldn't have to put out any cash.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2014, 01:52:05 PM »
There are lights that clip on to the bill of a hat - in fact I think LLBean has them, but I am pretty sure for some reason Home Depot has them as well. I have a friend who uses the knuckle lights and is now nicknamed ' Knuckles' as a result. I know another lady who is tiny and somehow manages to shimmy into the strap and wears the light around her chest, under her non-boobs. I am not sure if she is so thin just expanding the straps does it, or if extends it somehow. So, lots of options, you just need to decide what will work for you.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2014, 04:20:23 PM »

Do they fit over gloves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Black Diamond Cosmo - $29.95 at REI
The Black Diamond Spot headlamp is widely respected, and at $39.95 from LL Bean is a price/performance winner that Ellen should jump on.  Check the reviews.  Maybe it will end up hurting her head, but at that price I wouldn't hesitate to give it a go.  If it hurts, send it back and get some of those goofy knuckle lights (or a flashlight). 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2014, 12:23:03 AM »
Do they fit over gloves?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It was June when I used them, but I assume that if they fit on man hands they would fit on my small gloved hands.

Offline i am party

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2014, 12:00:12 PM »
Does that one hurt?

No.  Can't even feel it.  It's heavenly.

Offline Honey Badger

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 09:36:14 PM »
$5.00 off Knuckle Lights on their website knuckle lights.com with coupon code: KLRFM5
I think I'm going to try them.  It's pretty dark here and lots of critters and wildlife out in the early hours.
They come in pink; ellen's favorite color.  :heartbeat:
I think wearing a headlamp would bug the hell out of me.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:38:47 PM by Honey Badger »

+-SUPPORT US