Author Topic: Finally joined the quinoa bandwagon last night.  (Read 13122 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: Finally joined the quinoa bandwagon last night.
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 09:24:55 AM »
I find quinoa underwhelming as well.

Offline blue sleep

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 11:34:05 PM »
Another food support group! 

Hi, my name is Blue Sleep, and I just don't "get" quinoa. 

(My last confession regarded my dislike of beets.  The CH told me not to be ashamed.)
Baa, baa Blue Sleep

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 01:25:05 PM »
Why quinoa?

You are here: Home / Paleo Diet Foods / Is Quinoa Paleo? A Deep Dive
Is Quinoa Paleo? A Deep Dive
December 8, 2012 By Joel Runyon 23 Comments

Quinoa Quinoa is a popular food item these days and many people seem to be convinced that it falls into the category of paleo-friendly foods. We decided to take an in-depth look at this food to determine whether or not it fits into the paleo diet plan.

What Is Quinoa?

Quinoa (pronounced “keenwah”) is a seed that is harvested from a species of a plant called goosefoot. It is officially a seed and part of a group of pseudocereals, making it neither a cereal nor a grain, and more closely related to spinach and beets than to cereals or grains.

It is because of this unusual categorization that many people are confused as to what quinoa actually is and how it affects the health of people who eat it regularly. A person could read ten different articles about quinoa and get nearly as many different theories about it and where it belongs in a healthy diet.

So, Is Quinoa Paleo?

Well, yes and no. This is a vague answer but that’s because the position of quinoa in a paleo diet depends on the individual whose diet it is. Let’s explore this a bit.

How Does Quinoa Fit in The Paleo Diet?

Quinoa is technically not a grain, which makes many people jump to the immediate conclusion that it is paleo. It is a seed and many other seeds are allowed, so why not quinoa?

This is a good point and, for those looking for a grain alternative that has much less potential for damage than regular grains, quinoa is often a good choice. With that being said, quinoa actually does contain some of the same potentially harmful properties as grains.

How Doesn’t Quinoa Fit in The Paleo Diet?

Wheat products are avoided on the paleo diet because they need to be heavily processed to be consumed. This goes against the very basis of the paleo way of thinking and eating.

Beyond that, they are avoided because they contain gluten, saponins, and lectins, among other anti-nutrients, which have been shown to be harmful to the lining of a person’s digestive system as well as their immune system. Many people don’t process quinoa effectively and, because of that, they should avoid it.

If you’re a fan of Portlandia, this clip highlights this in a humorous way:

Even if you don’t have issues processing quinoa, quinoa still contains quite a few carbs. If your goal is to become a fat burner rather than a carb-burner, you’ll want to avoid quinoa as it’s a 53 on the Glycemic Index – quite high for a food that you don’t have to be eating.

The Verdict on Quinoa

So, quinoa, while it is technically gluten-free and better for you than most grains, is definitely NOT paleo. You’ll want to avoid quinoa for a few reasons – namely because of the digestive issues it can cause and because of its high carbohydrate content. If you’re transitioning to paleo for the weight loss benefits, you’ll definitely want to avoid quinoa. Essentially, quinoa is okay in principle but it’s not as okay in practice. If you follow a paleo diet plan, know that quinoa is not paleo (under the strictest requirements). While it’s not the worst thing in the world, many people simply can’t handle the negative impact of quinoa on their digestive system.

Please note: If you feel rebellious and do choose to eat quinoa, it is generally a good idea to wash it thoroughly, as its outer coating is responsible for some of its wheat-like properties.

Also, if you really feel the need the include quinoa in your diet, the best question to ask yourself is “why?” While quinoa might be best used as a stop-gap while you’re transitioning from a standard American diet to a full paleo lifestyle, once you’ve made the transition, there’s really no reason to incorporate it into your regular diet as there’s a bunch of much better food options available – both proteins (eggs, meats, etc) and carbohydrates (safe starches, sweet potatoes, bananas, etc).

It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 01:54:27 PM »
good thing I am not paleo.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 02:10:32 PM »
they contain gluten, saponins, and lectins, among other anti-nutrients, which have been shown to be harmful to the lining of a person’s digestive system as well as their immune system. Many people don’t process quinoa effectively and, because of that, they should avoid it.
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 04:45:45 PM »
they contain gluten, saponins, and lectins, among other anti-nutrients, which have been shown to be harmful to the lining of a person’s digestive system as well as their immune system. Many people don’t process quinoa effectively and, because of that, they should avoid it.
I have never heard this anywhere else. The quinoa i buy says gluten free on the package. My celiac SIL eats quinoa no problem.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 06:22:02 PM by merigayle »
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Newt

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 06:52:42 AM »
Today was back to couscous. Salad with smoked chicken, spring onions, dried apricots, olive oil and pepper.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2014, 08:26:29 AM »
Newt, you might want to look for Peruvian recipes to lend a little interest to quinoa since it is native to the Andes.  And Peruvian cuisine is to die for.

Offline Newt

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2014, 03:21:32 AM »
OK...new attempt.

Last night I made "quinoa cakes". Quinoa with mashed cauliflower, egg and flour...made into a patty and then fried.

Better than the salads, but still not quite there.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2014, 06:39:35 AM »
Make one of the recipes I posted!

Offline Newt

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2014, 07:25:04 AM »
Make one of the recipes I posted!

That will be the next attempt!

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2014, 07:43:22 AM »
I kind of admire your dedication to giving quinoa a chance!

I don't love it, but I have had good luck with making breakfast quinoa (with apples & cinnamon), having it in salads (Starbucks actually has one I like with chicken, black beans, and a smoky tomato dressing), and regular pilaf-type recipes. I can't be overly bothered to try anything more elaborate than that. So going beyond that to see if you like it is kind of cool.
This space for rent.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2014, 07:24:25 PM »
They make a salad at work that involves quinoa, red grapes sliced in half, a touch of finely diced red onion, some cilantro, and a vinaigrette of some sort.  It's good. 

Offline picote

• Exists as only Hawking radiation
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2014, 11:45:11 PM »
My favorite is a quinoa recipe in Susanne Goin's cookbook Sunday suppers at lucques. It takes a bit of time, but is great. Will see if I can find the recipe.

Eta, here is the recipe. I'd forgotten it was actually for rice, but it's great with quinoa

http://www.tastebook.com/recipes/3122223-Green-Rice
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 09:37:22 AM by picote »

+-SUPPORT US