Author Topic: "cheddar" soy "cheese"  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
"cheddar" soy "cheese"
« on: August 10, 2014, 06:52:14 PM »
I got a bunch of these slices at Trader Joe's.  I do not recommend the cheese. I bet it is highly processed. What was I thinking when I bought it?...

siamesedream

Re: "cheddar" soy "cheese"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:16:55 PM »
Sounds gross.

I don't eat anything with soy except for soy sauce.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »
Sounds nasty. Daiya is the only one I can tolerate though I prefer to just make my own cashew cheezes.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:56:17 AM »
Sounds nasty. Daiya is the only one I can tolerate though I prefer to just make my own cashew cheezes.

I actually think the idea of imitating non-vegetarian food is annoying, too. 

Offline srsly

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:34:30 AM »
I actually think the idea of imitating non-vegetarian food is annoying, too.

Yeah, I thought the idea of vegetarian diet was to rid the world of slaughter of animals. Why imitate that?
It ain't a party til mags shows up. -wonderwoman

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
Yeah, I thought the idea of vegetarian diet was to rid the world of slaughter of animals. Why imitate that?
I have no urge to eat "fake meat" but those who are not going plant based for ethical reasons, but health reasons, may find a transition easier with foods that are familiar to them.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 03:55:55 PM »
I have no urge to eat "fake meat" but those who are not going plant based for ethical reasons, but health reasons, may find a transition easier with foods that are familiar to them.

This tastes far from the real thing, and it looks close to the real thing, so it's sure to disappoint. And I studied it again: it has MILK PROTEIN in it.  I thought many people turned to soy because of lactose intolerance.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 06:01:06 PM »
almost all non dairy cheese have milk protein or casein in them. Daiya does not.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:02:07 PM »
This tastes far from the real thing, and it looks close to the real thing, so it's sure to disappoint. And I studied it again: it has MILK PROTEIN in it.  I thought many people turned to soy because of lactose intolerance.

Milk protein isn't going to contribute to lactose intolerance though. 

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 06:50:35 AM »
Milk protein isn't going to contribute to lactose intolerance though. 

That makes sense.  It's not lactose. Duh.  I turned to it because I wanted to eat cholesterol free.

+-SUPPORT US