Author Topic: WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes  (Read 24294 times)

Online redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes
« on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
For those of you who entered the chili thread, you know that I did abysmal in our chili cookoff.  Well, we are having a cookie cook off in mid-May. I want to win. I never win any cooking stuff at work and tend to come in last or close to last. So I need your best cookie recipes. I am going to start testing between now and mid-May.  The only two ingredients I won't use are mint and peanut butter (though if PB is a small part of the recipe I will use it.)  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:47:18 PM by redkitty »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
Re: Need your cookie recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
these are amazing I always make tons extra for our cookie exchange so people don't complain

http://food52.com/recipes/19209-divine-gluten-free-chocolate-cookies-no-seriously
Because PANTS

Offline CheryG

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
If you want to rethink that peanut butter thing, I have a recipe for fluffernutter cookies. ;)

(they're kind of like a little debbie's oatmeal cream pie, only peanutbutter)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:12:06 PM by CheryG »

Online redkitty

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
If you want to rethink that peanut butter thing, I have a recipe for fluffernutter cookies. ;)

(they're kind of like a little debbie's oatmeal cream pie, only peanutbutter)

Bring them on. I won't eat them (thus the no PB thing bcz I do not like PB cookies) but I think people at work would love something like this.  I will not give on the mint thing, though. 

and the rest of those recipes look GOOD.  I am going to get fat over the next few weeks. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
Mancatcher Cookies*

1 c butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp each: baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c instant oatmeal
2 c chocolate chips

Cream together the butter and sugars.  Mix in eggs and vanilla, then add baking soda, powder, salt, and spices.  Add oatmeal, flour, and chocolate chips.  These ingredients will need to be mixed in by hand, or with a dough hook if you're using a stand mixer.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake 9-11 minutes at 375.

*This recipe is so named because my sister's college roommates told her that she should make these cookies for a guy she wanted to date, to reel him in.  She calls them that because she thinks it's funny, not because she thinks the way to a man's heart is actually through his stomach.  They are really good, though. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
variation on the classic peanut butter cookie, with no peanut butter:

1 c. roasted almond butter*
1/2 c. sugar (I use raw sugar, any sugar should do fine)
1 egg, beaten
a bar of really good dark chocolate, optional

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream together almond butter and sugar.   Stir egg in to mix.  Roll into 24 balls and put them on a cookie sheet; flatten with the decorative bottom of a crystal scotch glass (or with a fork if you don't have a fancy glass).  Put the cookies in the oven and immediately turn down to 325F.  Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden brown.  Don't overcook.  Let cool completely.  Melt chocolate, brush a thin layer onto the bottom of each cookie, let cool completely before storing.

*it will work with any nut butter, really... also tahini, perhaps other seed butters too.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
1 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 c a/p flour
dark chocolate chunks
dried cherries

oven at 350°.

sift dry ingredients together.
in another bowl, cream butter with sugars.  add eggs and extracts.  stir in the flour mix.  add the chocolate and cherries. 

drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  bake for approx. 15 minutes.

Online redkitty

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
We discussed some of the rules for this (myself and another co-worker are running it) and some the rules we have decided on. I am not happy about some of them and may push back

1.  you can have more tahn one entry.  I am ok with this one...more cookies the better.
2. the cookie does not have to be homemade, but it has to be at least modified (so you could bring an oreo dipped in chocolate.) I do NOT like this rule. 
3.  Spouses can do the cooking. I am not cool with this at all.  this is supposed to be an office morale boost so I think office people should have to make the cookies. If someone so chooses to have their spouse bake the cookies and they then lie about it...fine, I won't know the difference; but at least pretend enough to lie. Of all the rules, this one I might push back on the most. though I am so not cool with #2, either. 
4.  We will have multiple winning categories...to be chosen on the day off based on the # of entries and type of cookies..example..Best Overall, Best Presentation, Most Unique, etc. 
5. must make at least 2 dozen so most people can try them.  (we have around 30 people in the office and it is unlikely everyone will be here that day or participate).   

Anyone have other rule suggestions or other cookie recipes.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream together almond butter and sugar.   Stir egg in to mix.  Roll into 24 balls and put them on a cookie sheet; flatten with the decorative bottom of a crystal scotch glass (or with a fork if you don't have a fancy glass).  Put the cookies in the oven and immediately turn down to 325F.  Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden brown.  Don't overcook.  Let cool completely.  Melt chocolate, brush a thin layer onto the bottom of each cookie, let cool completely before storing.

*it will work with any nut butter, really... also tahini, perhaps other seed butters too.

i make a cashew butter and maple cookie that is absolutely fantastic.  i'll grab the recipe when i get home.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
We discussed some of the rules for this (myself and another co-worker are running it) and some the rules we have decided on. I am not happy about some of them and may push back

1.  you can have more tahn one entry.  I am ok with this one...more cookies the better.
2. the cookie does not have to be homemade, but it has to be at least modified (so you could bring an oreo dipped in chocolate.) I do NOT like this rule.
3.  Spouses can do the cooking. I am not cool with this at all.  this is supposed to be an office morale boost so I think office people should have to make the cookies. If someone so chooses to have their spouse bake the cookies and they then lie about it...fine, I won't know the difference; but at least pretend enough to lie. Of all the rules, this one I might push back on the most. though I am so not cool with #2, either.
4.  We will have multiple winning categories...to be chosen on the day off based on the # of entries and type of cookies..example..Best Overall, Best Presentation, Most Unique, etc. 
5. must make at least 2 dozen so most people can try them.  (we have around 30 people in the office and it is unlikely everyone will be here that day or participate).   

Anyone have other rule suggestions or other cookie recipes.

Those two rules are BONKERS.

If they allow #2 then one separate award category should be for non-homemade but modified cookies, and they should not be eligible to be the overall winner because that is LAME.

Ditto, #3 should only win in some kind of "guest baker" category, and not be eligible for overall winner.

But all the other rules seem to add up to lots of cookies to eat, so hells yeah.
This space for rent.

Online redkitty

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Those two rules are BONKERS.

If they allow #2 then one separate award category should be for non-homemade but modified cookies, and they should not be eligible to be the overall winner because that is LAME.

Ditto, #3 should only win in some kind of "guest baker" category, and not be eligible for overall winner.

But all the other rules seem to add up to lots of cookies to eat, so hells yeah.

You know, those are good alternatives if we keep those stupid rules in.  I tend to be pretty pushy about things, so I may get my way about dropping both of those rules. 

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »
You know, those are good alternatives if we keep those stupid rules in.  I tend to be pretty pushy about things, so I may get my way about dropping both of those rules. 

If it allows more people to participate, sure that is great for boosting morale to encourage everyone to get in on the fun - but yeah, imagine the sour grapes if someone made chocolate dipped Oreos or those pretzel things with melted Rolos on them, and won...or if someone's spouse won. It would be the opposite of generating goodwill and perking people up.
This space for rent.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Fluffernutter Cream Pies

Cream together:
1/2C Butter
1/2C Peanut butter
1/2C sugar
1/2C brown sugar
1 egg
1t vanilla

Add, then mix:

3/4C flour
1/2t b. soda
1/4t b. Powder
1/4t salt
1C quick oats

Here's the tough part.  This is a soft, flimsyish cookie, very much like an oatmeal cream pie.  The consistency of the batter at this point is very important.  It should not be like cookie batter, it should have a texture that's firm but squishy- think a bit firmer than toothpaste.  It will ball and hold shape, but still squishy.  If the batter seems too dry, add a bit of water to make it squishy like.

Make them however big you want.  Scoop 'em out and squish them down a bit but not a lot, they will spread.

I used a convection oven and baked at 325, so a conventional oven temp would be about 375.  8-10 minutes.  Once again, they will look like a little debbies, err on the side of a little underdone to keep that softness. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/LD-Oatmeal-Creme-Pies.jpg

Filling:

1 1/2C marshmallow fluff
3/4 C confectionary sugar
1/3C shortening  (sorry!  Lol!)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:49:06 PM by CheryG »

Online redkitty

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
These all look awesome. i think i will try two at a time...make Dh take them to work to taste test them.  as of now I do not think i can make any of these cookies without a trip the store first...so probably won't make any until Saturday night or Sunday. 

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
I think I'd want a rule that says you must be willing to share the recipe for any cookie you contribute. Because it's annoying to taste a great cookie then be told that it's a "secret family recipe" or some such nonsense.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

1 egg, beaten

I make these with sunbutter.  Gluten and nut free  :)
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
I make these with sunbutter.  Gluten and nut free  :)
:heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
These chocolate whoopie pies with salted caramel filling are quite yummy! :)

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/3291/mini-chocolate-whoopie-pies-with-salted-caramel-filling
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
We had a pie contest for pi day and it was awesome.  I tried like 20 pies. We also did categories.

I like to make swedish spice cookies
http://baking.food.com/recipe/1995-1st-place-swedish-spice-cookies-170336

+-SUPPORT US