Author Topic: WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes  (Read 23992 times)

Online redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes
« on: March 30, 2014, 01:03:51 PM »
For those of you who entered the chili thread, you know that I did abysmal in our chili cookoff.  Well, we are having a cookie cook off in mid-May. I want to win. I never win any cooking stuff at work and tend to come in last or close to last. So I need your best cookie recipes. I am going to start testing between now and mid-May.  The only two ingredients I won't use are mint and peanut butter (though if PB is a small part of the recipe I will use it.)  Thanks.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 01:47:18 PM by redkitty »

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
Re: Need your cookie recipes
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:28:56 PM »
these are amazing I always make tons extra for our cookie exchange so people don't complain

http://food52.com/recipes/19209-divine-gluten-free-chocolate-cookies-no-seriously
Because PANTS

Offline CheryG

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 06:08:20 PM »
If you want to rethink that peanut butter thing, I have a recipe for fluffernutter cookies. ;)

(they're kind of like a little debbie's oatmeal cream pie, only peanutbutter)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:12:06 PM by CheryG »

Online redkitty

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:30:12 PM »
If you want to rethink that peanut butter thing, I have a recipe for fluffernutter cookies. ;)

(they're kind of like a little debbie's oatmeal cream pie, only peanutbutter)

Bring them on. I won't eat them (thus the no PB thing bcz I do not like PB cookies) but I think people at work would love something like this.  I will not give on the mint thing, though. 

and the rest of those recipes look GOOD.  I am going to get fat over the next few weeks. 

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 11:13:36 PM »
Mancatcher Cookies*

1 c butter or margarine, softened to room temperature
3/4 c sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
2 c flour
1 tsp each: baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/2 c instant oatmeal
2 c chocolate chips

Cream together the butter and sugars.  Mix in eggs and vanilla, then add baking soda, powder, salt, and spices.  Add oatmeal, flour, and chocolate chips.  These ingredients will need to be mixed in by hand, or with a dough hook if you're using a stand mixer.  Drop by tablespoonfuls onto parchment lined cookie sheet.  Bake 9-11 minutes at 375.

*This recipe is so named because my sister's college roommates told her that she should make these cookies for a guy she wanted to date, to reel him in.  She calls them that because she thinks it's funny, not because she thinks the way to a man's heart is actually through his stomach.  They are really good, though. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 10:30:49 AM »
variation on the classic peanut butter cookie, with no peanut butter:

1 c. roasted almond butter*
1/2 c. sugar (I use raw sugar, any sugar should do fine)
1 egg, beaten
a bar of really good dark chocolate, optional

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream together almond butter and sugar.   Stir egg in to mix.  Roll into 24 balls and put them on a cookie sheet; flatten with the decorative bottom of a crystal scotch glass (or with a fork if you don't have a fancy glass).  Put the cookies in the oven and immediately turn down to 325F.  Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden brown.  Don't overcook.  Let cool completely.  Melt chocolate, brush a thin layer onto the bottom of each cookie, let cool completely before storing.

*it will work with any nut butter, really... also tahini, perhaps other seed butters too.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:54:06 PM »
1 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 c a/p flour
dark chocolate chunks
dried cherries

oven at 350°.

sift dry ingredients together.
in another bowl, cream butter with sugars.  add eggs and extracts.  stir in the flour mix.  add the chocolate and cherries. 

drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  bake for approx. 15 minutes.

Online redkitty

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 03:11:04 PM »
We discussed some of the rules for this (myself and another co-worker are running it) and some the rules we have decided on. I am not happy about some of them and may push back

1.  you can have more tahn one entry.  I am ok with this one...more cookies the better.
2. the cookie does not have to be homemade, but it has to be at least modified (so you could bring an oreo dipped in chocolate.) I do NOT like this rule. 
3.  Spouses can do the cooking. I am not cool with this at all.  this is supposed to be an office morale boost so I think office people should have to make the cookies. If someone so chooses to have their spouse bake the cookies and they then lie about it...fine, I won't know the difference; but at least pretend enough to lie. Of all the rules, this one I might push back on the most. though I am so not cool with #2, either. 
4.  We will have multiple winning categories...to be chosen on the day off based on the # of entries and type of cookies..example..Best Overall, Best Presentation, Most Unique, etc. 
5. must make at least 2 dozen so most people can try them.  (we have around 30 people in the office and it is unlikely everyone will be here that day or participate).   

Anyone have other rule suggestions or other cookie recipes.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2014, 03:17:25 PM »

1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 350F.  Cream together almond butter and sugar.   Stir egg in to mix.  Roll into 24 balls and put them on a cookie sheet; flatten with the decorative bottom of a crystal scotch glass (or with a fork if you don't have a fancy glass).  Put the cookies in the oven and immediately turn down to 325F.  Bake for about 18 minutes, until golden brown.  Don't overcook.  Let cool completely.  Melt chocolate, brush a thin layer onto the bottom of each cookie, let cool completely before storing.

*it will work with any nut butter, really... also tahini, perhaps other seed butters too.

i make a cashew butter and maple cookie that is absolutely fantastic.  i'll grab the recipe when i get home.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 03:21:19 PM »
We discussed some of the rules for this (myself and another co-worker are running it) and some the rules we have decided on. I am not happy about some of them and may push back

1.  you can have more tahn one entry.  I am ok with this one...more cookies the better.
2. the cookie does not have to be homemade, but it has to be at least modified (so you could bring an oreo dipped in chocolate.) I do NOT like this rule.
3.  Spouses can do the cooking. I am not cool with this at all.  this is supposed to be an office morale boost so I think office people should have to make the cookies. If someone so chooses to have their spouse bake the cookies and they then lie about it...fine, I won't know the difference; but at least pretend enough to lie. Of all the rules, this one I might push back on the most. though I am so not cool with #2, either.
4.  We will have multiple winning categories...to be chosen on the day off based on the # of entries and type of cookies..example..Best Overall, Best Presentation, Most Unique, etc. 
5. must make at least 2 dozen so most people can try them.  (we have around 30 people in the office and it is unlikely everyone will be here that day or participate).   

Anyone have other rule suggestions or other cookie recipes.

Those two rules are BONKERS.

If they allow #2 then one separate award category should be for non-homemade but modified cookies, and they should not be eligible to be the overall winner because that is LAME.

Ditto, #3 should only win in some kind of "guest baker" category, and not be eligible for overall winner.

But all the other rules seem to add up to lots of cookies to eat, so hells yeah.
This space for rent.

Online redkitty

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 03:41:14 PM »
Those two rules are BONKERS.

If they allow #2 then one separate award category should be for non-homemade but modified cookies, and they should not be eligible to be the overall winner because that is LAME.

Ditto, #3 should only win in some kind of "guest baker" category, and not be eligible for overall winner.

But all the other rules seem to add up to lots of cookies to eat, so hells yeah.

You know, those are good alternatives if we keep those stupid rules in.  I tend to be pretty pushy about things, so I may get my way about dropping both of those rules. 

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 03:43:36 PM »
You know, those are good alternatives if we keep those stupid rules in.  I tend to be pretty pushy about things, so I may get my way about dropping both of those rules. 

If it allows more people to participate, sure that is great for boosting morale to encourage everyone to get in on the fun - but yeah, imagine the sour grapes if someone made chocolate dipped Oreos or those pretzel things with melted Rolos on them, and won...or if someone's spouse won. It would be the opposite of generating goodwill and perking people up.
This space for rent.

Offline CheryG

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:47:23 PM »
Fluffernutter Cream Pies

Cream together:
1/2C Butter
1/2C Peanut butter
1/2C sugar
1/2C brown sugar
1 egg
1t vanilla

Add, then mix:

3/4C flour
1/2t b. soda
1/4t b. Powder
1/4t salt
1C quick oats

Here's the tough part.  This is a soft, flimsyish cookie, very much like an oatmeal cream pie.  The consistency of the batter at this point is very important.  It should not be like cookie batter, it should have a texture that's firm but squishy- think a bit firmer than toothpaste.  It will ball and hold shape, but still squishy.  If the batter seems too dry, add a bit of water to make it squishy like.

Make them however big you want.  Scoop 'em out and squish them down a bit but not a lot, they will spread.

I used a convection oven and baked at 325, so a conventional oven temp would be about 375.  8-10 minutes.  Once again, they will look like a little debbies, err on the side of a little underdone to keep that softness. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/LD-Oatmeal-Creme-Pies.jpg

Filling:

1 1/2C marshmallow fluff
3/4 C confectionary sugar
1/3C shortening  (sorry!  Lol!)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 03:49:06 PM by CheryG »

Online redkitty

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:23 PM »
These all look awesome. i think i will try two at a time...make Dh take them to work to taste test them.  as of now I do not think i can make any of these cookies without a trip the store first...so probably won't make any until Saturday night or Sunday. 

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 04:45:11 PM »
I think I'd want a rule that says you must be willing to share the recipe for any cookie you contribute. Because it's annoying to taste a great cookie then be told that it's a "secret family recipe" or some such nonsense.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »

1 egg, beaten

I make these with sunbutter.  Gluten and nut free  :)
Because PANTS

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 04:57:06 PM »
I make these with sunbutter.  Gluten and nut free  :)
:heartbeat:
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 10:00:20 PM »
These chocolate whoopie pies with salted caramel filling are quite yummy! :)

http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/3291/mini-chocolate-whoopie-pies-with-salted-caramel-filling
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 11:52:54 PM »
We had a pie contest for pi day and it was awesome.  I tried like 20 pies. We also did categories.

I like to make swedish spice cookies
http://baking.food.com/recipe/1995-1st-place-swedish-spice-cookies-170336

Online redkitty

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 03:17:57 PM »
I think I'd want a rule that says you must be willing to share the recipe for any cookie you contribute. Because it's annoying to taste a great cookie then be told that it's a "secret family recipe" or some such nonsense.

I don't think we will make this a rule, but for the most part people in this office aren't that protective of their recipes.  We had one lady who made crack brownies (thus named because they were like crack...you got your first taste and you always went back for more and they gave a sugar high and then a crash.)  For a while she would not share her recipe.  She has since given up on that and sent it around the office.  Of the people I have spoken wtih about this contest, no one has mentioned "family" recipes, but I think most are going to go online and find stuff. 

Online redkitty

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »
M.mmm. I love snickerdoodle cookies and those look amazing.  I will print these recipes out tomorrow and pick my first two and go buy ingredients. I realized this morning that I am almost completely out of sugar.  No idea how that happened (I rarely bake.) 

Online redkitty

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2014, 07:07:59 PM »
Ok, some questions for those who bake. I do not know the chemistry behind cooking.  So for the first recipe that Meri posted (please see link.)  Why would you use an egg and a yolk and not just two whole eggs?  Does this affect how long it takes cookies to bake bcz these cookies took almost 15 minutes, which surprised me.  I have not actually eaten any of them yet...the dough was quite tasty.  That being said, I think if these stay in the running, I will use fewer chips bcz there are ALOT of chips. I swear there were a few cookies that were almost all chips and little dough.  I also modified the recipe and used dried cranberries instead of the jam. I am lazy and didn't want to deal with the jam. 

Online redkitty

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2014, 07:28:02 PM »
I tried the cookies. They are ok. Not great. Not sucky.  But not impressive.  I think they are drier than I like. Too many chips. I did look up the chemistry of baking cookies so I can change the texture to be more pleasing if I go with these. My Dh apparently likes them bcz he just finished one cookie and went back and took two more.

Online redkitty

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2014, 07:15:04 PM »
Just tried the snickerdoodle recipe. OMG...SOOOO good. The dough was so much better than yesterday's.  Unless I find a much better one, this one is definitely one of the two I will make. I will make 3 if I find three easy recipes. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 07:25:37 PM »
I made vegan and GF snicker doodles for my cookie party, they were awesome.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2014, 10:24:07 PM »
Yum!  Glad they worked out well for you!

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
1 c butter
1/2 c brown sugar, packed
1 c granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 t vanilla extract
1 t almond extract
1 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt
3 c a/p flour
dark chocolate chunks
dried cherries

oven at 350°.

sift dry ingredients together.
in another bowl, cream butter with sugars.  add eggs and extracts.  stir in the flour mix.  add the chocolate and cherries. 

drop by tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets.  bake for approx. 15 minutes.

This sounds wonderful!  A Cherry Garcia cookie.  :heartbeat:

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2014, 06:35:13 PM »

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2014, 12:31:12 AM »
I'm actually not sure I've ever had a cookie that bested the Joy of Cooking's good old chocolate chip cookies. I do tend to make them a bit larger than the recipe calls for.

Online redkitty

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:26 AM »
I will check that out of the library or can i find that one recipe online?  I do not have that cookbook.

i am not going to lie. I have made 4 types of cookies over two weekends and I am already sick of baking cookies. This is why i do not bake, I do not enjoy it.  I made the man catcher cookies listed above.  they are pretty good and I do not normally like chocolate chips in oatmeal cookies and the cinnamon roll cookies (meri's 4th link.)  They were ok. I think they could be a bit better...partially due to cook's error and partially due to the recipe. I think i would prefer a chewier cookie and different frosting.  They really weren't hard to make once I figured out what i was doing.  I may try those again just bcz they look cool.  But I will buy Cinnabon frosting for them.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 09:21:07 AM »
I believe I will try these soon: Chocolate Forgotten Cookies  http://www.athoughtforfood.net/chocolate-forgotten-cookies/

Offline wherestheportojohn

« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 04:24:39 PM »
 :yikes: :e)
Why did I open this thread thread of deliciousness?
:panic:

On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 05:27:05 PM »
When getting a recipe off the internet, I also read ALL the comments before making the recipe. But like you, I always test a recipe before something like a cookie party, etc. I had not made those cookies, so i apologize if they were not the best, but they look awesome. I did not want to bore you with a gluten free vegan thing that would call for ingredients you would not have.

As far as The Joy Of Cooking, you should own a copy!

Online redkitty

« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2014, 09:23:29 PM »
Meri---the cookies weren't bad (the first ones), they just weren't great.  The cinnamon roll cookies were a very big hit. Not really my ball of wax, but there isa  reason that I am testing these recipes out with other people. I tend to like things that others don't and vice versa.  My Dh's co-workers are really getting into it. THey liked the man catcher cookies I made...went at the same time as the cinnamon ones...and they liked those, but think the novelty and presentation of the cinnamon ones will do better in a contest. THey are engineers so they really analyze things.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 06:33:14 AM »
Yeah they are different and I like different!

Online redkitty

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
I am reading this book right now and it has a recipe for blackberry cookies. I think i will try those. not because I will like blackberry cookies, but because my daughter might.  It is a mystery book,  btw (not a cook book.)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
blackberries are very full of seeds, but otherwise sound good. Like a thumbprint one? you could use blackberry jam. I know DD wants to make cookies today, probably just choc chip.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
I believe I will try these soon: Chocolate Forgotten Cookies  http://www.athoughtforfood.net/chocolate-forgotten-cookies/

my mother makes these; they were one of my favorites when i was teeny.

Online redkitty

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 03:51:56 PM »
blackberries are very full of seeds, but otherwise sound good. Like a thumbprint one? you could use blackberry jam. I know DD wants to make cookies today, probably just choc chip.

First, choco chip is a classic. cant' go wrong with those. Seriously. 

The recipe for the blackberries is actually to use them whole. I was surprised by that. Not as many seeds as raspberries. and K LOVES, LOVES blackberries. I think blueberries could be a good sub in the recipe. The dough itself is pretty basic.  That being said, i have made a few other cookies from this author and have never really liked them.  So maybe these will suck, too.  She does have a watermelon cookie that sounds intriguing, but can't remember which book that recipe comes from.  I think the only fruit K likes more than blueberries is watermelon...she would probably love those as well. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 03:57:22 PM »
Watermelon cookie? interesting. Make the cookies and get back to me :D i am having a hard time imagining it in my head, first because blackberries are so large, and secondly, so full of liquid. But I do love me some blackberries. They grow in our backyard in the summer! I did not know that until after living here 5 years!

Online redkitty

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45:47 AM »
I found the watermelon cookie recipe...it uses watermelon kool aid for the flavoring.  I think I will make these and the blackberry ones this weekend.  I need to re-read the BB recipe to see exactly waht I need to do and what I need.  I know it said I could use frozen BBs, which is what I plan (not exactly in season right now) and lemon zest.  I hope i remember the watermelon kool aid...

Online redkitty

« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2014, 02:28:03 PM »
Just made the black berry cookies.  I have not had any. my DH said they are good when you hit blackberry.  With the berry being so big, there is only 2 BB per cookie TOPS. Some only have one.  I think it would actually just be easier if you made the dough, put it on the cookie sheets and then pressed blackberries into the balls. 

Also made the watermelon cookies.  THey taste like kool-aid.  So not bad if you like kool-aid. But if you don't, you would not like these cookies.  You can use any flavor kool-aid so if watermelon isn't your thing, a different flavor would work.  They are a very pretty pink color, though. 

Online redkitty

« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 09:45:19 AM »
http://books.google.com/books?id=IYA6nkaLnXkC&lpg=PA14&ots=Gl1zQjYa5x&dq=all%20american%20cookie%20snickerdoodle%20recipe&pg=PA14#v=onepage&q=all%20american%20cookie%20snickerdoodle%20recipe&f=false

My favorite snickerdoodle recipe.  Hope this link works for you.
BUMP!!!

Seattlegirl...this link won't work anymore...could you please try to find the recipe for me again? I loved those cookies and I KNEW I should have copied the recipe down when I made it. I don't knot the cookbook or I would look myself.  Contest is next week, i want to make these (but also just want to have thsi recipe bcz these cookies rock.0

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 12:32:07 PM »
BUMP!!!

Seattlegirl...this link won't work anymore...could you please try to find the recipe for me again? I loved those cookies and I KNEW I should have copied the recipe down when I made it. I don't knot the cookbook or I would look myself.  Contest is next week, i want to make these (but also just want to have thsi recipe bcz these cookies rock.0

Oh shoot!  I have the cookbook and will type it out for you if I can't find it online.  One sec.

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 12:35:20 PM »
Found it elsewhere online, and doublechecked against my cookbook. (http://eat.at/swap/forum1/115501_I_like_these_Best_Ever_Snickerdoodles_from_The_All_American_Cookie_Book_by_Na)

Best Ever Snickerdoodles
From The All American Cookie Book by Nancy Baggett

“Snickerdoodles are one of my favorite sugar cookies, and this is my favorite snickerdoodle recipe. The cookies are large, lightly spiced, and have a pleasantly mild, homey flavor. What makes them truly remarkable, however, is their wonderful texture. Take a bite at the edge of a cookie, and it's mostly crispy. Move closer to the middle, and it's crispy-chewy. Finally, right in the center, it's nearly all chewy. And the best part is that these snickerdoodles don't dry out or lose their munchability during storage.”

2-2/3 cups all purpose white flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1-3/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 large eggs
2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar, combined with 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon, for topping

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. (375º was too hot for my oven – I lowered the temp to 350º.) Grease several baking sheets or coat with nonstick spray. (I used Silpats.)

In a large bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg, if using; set aside. In another large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat together the butter, sugar, and corn syrup until well blended and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until well blended and smooth. Beat in half of the flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Stir in the remaining flour mixture until evenly incorporated. Let the dough stand for 5 to 10 minutes, or until firmed up slightly. Put the cinnamon sugar in a shallow bowl.

Roll portions of the dough into generous 1-1/2-inch balls with lightly greased hands (the dough will be soft). Roll each ball in the cinnamon-sugar. Place on the baking sheets, spacing about 2-3/4 inches apart. Using your hand, slightly pat down the tops of the balls.

Bake the cookies, one sheet at a time, in the upper third of the oven for 8 to 11 minutes, or until just light golden brown at the edges. Reverse the sheet from front to back halfway through baking to ensure even browning. Transfer the sheet to a wire rack and let stand until the cookies firm up slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Using a spatula, transfer the cookies to wire racks. Let stand until completely cooled. Let the baking sheets cool between batches to keep the cookies from spreading too much.

Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days or freeze for up to 2 months.

Online redkitty

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:39 PM »
Thank you!!!!

Offline badger

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:34 AM »
I've got to try that snicker doodle recipe. They are my absolute favorite and I'm always note lookout for the best recipe :)
After all, one rarely boils a penis before insertion. - nnej

I routinely smash mirrors while walking underneath ladders just to fuck with the cosmos. - ZiggyStardust

Online redkitty

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2014, 02:54:16 PM »
I made the man catcher cookies last night for teh contest (this Wednesday) and I am making the dough for the cinnamon "roll" ones (link in Meri's first post) and the snickerdoodle ones tonight. Probably my favorite snickerdoodle reicpe I have ever found. We shall see how they fair in the contest. 

people at work were teasing me about how I made up rules for the contest...then, as an aside, we got into an argument about what is considered "modified store bought" cookie.  I said after teh discussion "this is why i made up rules...for stupid shit like this." (It was all a light-hearted discussion.)  They did not like that I am allowing pre-made cookie dough to count as "home-made" and thought they should be considered modified store bought.  I really just did not want people to go out to Meijer. or Kroger the morning of and buy a carton of nasty day old bakery cookies and count that as part of the contest. The whole pt of this thing is to be fun...not just bring in whatever shit was on sale.  Put SOME effort into.  Modified cookies can't win Best Overall mainly bcz I think it would suck to lose to a modified cookie (not that these can't be a lot of effort, bcz they can.) 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2014, 03:08:12 PM »
I like your rules. I have posted this before but i lost a Halloween cooking contest by ONE vote to a store bought Halloween cake  :grr: seriously???!?!?!?!?!?!? I was furious. The person paid the store and that was it?

Online redkitty

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2014, 03:14:12 PM »
I like your rules. I have posted this before but i lost a Halloween cooking contest by ONE vote to a store bought Halloween cake  :grr: seriously???!?!?!?!?!?!? I was furious. The person paid the store and that was it?

Exactly.  although I did tell my one co-worker to make these "hamburger" cookies.  It is a vanilla wafer cookies (or sugar cookies if you want to make any of it) stuffed with a chocolate covered mint cookie and then dyed coconut flakes and sesame seeds. You assemble so it looks like a hamburger. So clearly modified, but also a lot of effort.  So you get credit for putting in a lot of effort, but I would still be pissed if I lost to that. 

and again, I also know the people I work with...most would go with the intent  behind the contest, but then you would get the few who phone it in  by buying packaged cookies and that would just sort of bring the mood down (it would, trust me.) The pt is to boost office morale, not be an a-hole. 

Online redkitty

Re: FIRST UPDATE CONTEST IS TODAY.Need your cookie recipes
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2014, 10:35:36 AM »
Contest is today.  We had 14 entries 3 of which were mine and one person also had 2.)  So has been a good turn out.  I am predicting I will not win first place with any of my awesome cookies, but won't come in last.  There is this chocolate covered cherry cookie that is just divine (and very rich) and two lemon cookies that are pretty darn awesome. I do not even LIKE lemon cookies and I am going to vote for one of them (you can vote for your top 3.)  voting is at 1. Will update with the results then.

Online redkitty

Re: WINNER UPDATE.Need your cookie recipes
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2014, 01:52:02 PM »
None of my entries won.  The man catcher cookies got zero votes.  I was told verbally by people who did not know which ones I made that they liked the man catcher cookies but apparently not enough to vote for them.  The snickerdoodles came in 5th.  They were tied with 4 others. 

The top winners were a lemon Ricotta...by far got the highest number of votes, pistachio...also a ton of votes (both made by the same person) and then these chocolate cherry cookies came in 3rd. 

To be honest, every cookie I tried I really really liked.  I voted for the lemon ricotta...not my first pick (you voted for the top 3.)  There were some I did not try due to the fact that i knew I would nto like them (peanut butter, pistachio and ones with coconut.)

Overall, it was a successful contest and I ended up wtih some great recipes from this thread. 

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2014, 02:05:41 PM »
I think it's great you really got into it.  Obviously we all have step up our game to be better support for your next contest.  What's the next contest?

Online redkitty

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
I think it's great you really got into it.  Obviously we all have step up our game to be better support for your next contest.  What's the next contest?

Well, I don't think we will make it a contest, but we are going to have a Jello mold pot luck.  Bring in your best jello molds.  The rule: It has to be edible.  One of my co-workers said her aunt makes this one jello mold with ingredients that escape me at the moment (I know cheese is one of them), that just sounds awful. She said it is actually really good.  I even have a recipe for some jello mold in my American Heart Association cookbook.  I am sure we will get a lot of fruit jello molds in this one. 

Offline seattlegirl

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2014, 03:15:42 PM »
Aw, I wanted you to win!!   But sounds like a fun event with a good turnout.

Are there any leftovers for us?  :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2014, 04:58:42 PM »
sounds like fun!!!

Offline CheryG

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2014, 05:20:46 PM »
I would send you my jello brain mold, but I gave it away last year. :(

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/gelatin-brain-mold/

Online redkitty

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2014, 09:30:22 PM »
Aw, I wanted you to win!!   But sounds like a fun event with a good turnout.

Are there any leftovers for us?  :D

There are actually tons of leftovers. Eating a snickerdoodle right now.  Sure, I will send them?

CheryG...I actually have the brain and a heart mold.  I have founda  recipe for both that makes them edible.  I can also make the heart nad the brain bleed when you cut into it. 

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2014, 02:15:38 PM »
Things that I’ve learned about cookies: Chilling improves the flavor and makes the dough much easier to work with. Unchilled dough leaves a sticky mess all over my hands. Also, bake one batch at a time and use the center rack. Trying to shuffle around two racks in the oven means the door is open longer, and if the oven drops below temperature and starts pre-heating again, you’ll end up with burned bottoms.

And, HOLD THE PHONE! I found an amazing chocolate chip cookie recipe and gave it a whirl over the weekend. They turned out amazing – soft and delicious. The only unique things about it are the corn starch and cream cheese. These also seem to have a higher proportion of fats than other recipes.

Combine in small bowl and set aside:
·         1.5 c flour (I use King Arthur unbleached AP flour)
·         ½ t baking soda
·         ½ t baking powder
·         1 t cornstarch
·         ½ t sea salt

Combine in medium bowl:
·         ¾ stick of butter, at room temperature
·         2 T cream cheese, at room temperature
·         ½ c + 2 T packed brown sugar
·         ¼ c granulated sugar

Beat together until light and creamy. Then add:
·         ¾ t vanilla
·         1 large egg, at room temperature
Beat together well, then gradually add the flour mixture
Stir in:
·         1 c dark chocolate chips
·         Walnuts (optional)

Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours (can be overnight)

Preheat oven to 350, place rack in center of oven

Drop by 2 T balls onto greased cookie sheet.

Bake, one batch at a time, for 10 minutes or until light golden brown.

Online redkitty

« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2014, 10:01:22 PM »
Those look good. 

+-SUPPORT US