Author Topic: Best baguette ever  (Read 6187 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Best baguette ever
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:32:49 PM »
I've been wanting to make a baguette for the longest but never start the day before.  (All of the recipes I've seen require this.)
Earlier today I stumbled upon this recipe and decided to give it a try:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Four-Hour-Baguette?0ummifslfZdRwbJ0.32

best.baguette.ever

It uses the ice cube technique I once learned from a Pierre Franey book.  Crispy crust, chewy inside, really perfect.  We ate one whole loaf with broccoli soup (we buy the Imagine Broccoli Soup) for dinner.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Online Tim

• The Runners
Re: Best baguette ever
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
Yum.

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
As a baguette & bagel baker, it saddens me to have (almost) given up (not completely) gluten.
I haven't eaten either for months.
:(

Eta: the recipe looks fab! I will try it, and then stare at others while they enjoy the goodness.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 08:47:08 PM by wherestheportojohn »
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 07:07:00 AM »
As a baguette & bagel baker, it saddens me to have (almost) given up (not completely) gluten.
I haven't eaten either for months.
:(

Eta: the recipe looks fab! I will try it, and then stare at others while they enjoy the goodness.
i have a couple gluten free bread recipes waiting to be tried, including a crusty bread one.
http://turvs.net/gluten-free-vegan-crusty-bread/
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
I love baguette, but sometimes it's better not to know how good something is that requires 4 hours to prepare.  I trust your judgement, but will remain faithful to the store-bought ones here.

BTW: many baguettes in France are not as good as the ones I buy at my local gourmet store, here.

Offline monster2

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 12:51:13 PM »
I want to make bread so damn bad but something horrible happens every time.... :fiery:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 02:45:35 PM »
I want to make bread so damn bad but something horrible happens every time.... :fiery:

yes, here too.  I eat it
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline wherestheportojohn

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »
Uh oh, Dev.
Did the baguettes have an issue this latest time 'round? :(
On, Wisconsin

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
Porty I made a delicious gluten free bread this week. http://munchinmochi.blogspot.com/2011/07/vegan-gluten-free-and-healthy-bread-for.html?m=1
I made it as is exactly except i used xantham gum since i had no guar gum. My coworker made it with variations and said it was inedible. Mine was so good i will probably make more tomorow. I may just use the dough setting on the bread machine and put it in a loaf pan in the oven.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 03:46:16 PM »
yes, here too.  I eat it

That's not horrible, that's delightful.

Speaking of baking bread products, I think we have decided to just do our own Thanksgiving dinner at home, instead of going to one of my relatives houses.  This means that I'm going to have to make rolls, because good rolls are a non-negotiable part of Thanksgiving.  I'm nervous, mostly because my oven is possessed, and also because my mother is a fantastic baker and her bread and rolls have turned me into a total bread snob.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 07:07:28 PM »
I was being silly, porty.  :)  No worries.  Actually, I added a touch more flower the second time so the dough wasn't quite as wet and the bread turned out prettier.  But I liked the consistency better the last time.  Still experimenting.

Ice cream, if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook it takes very little effort.  You do have to wait for it to rise a few times, but the years and mixer do 95% of the work.

Meri, I'll pass that recipe to a GF friend.

And Nadra, do you like challah?  My challah recipes makes EXCELLENT rolls.  I'm going to use it to make rolls as well, then use the rolls as our chanukiah since Chanukah and Thanksgiving intersect this year (totally rare occurrence).

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
I was being silly, porty.  :)  No worries.  Actually, I added a touch more flower the second time so the dough wasn't quite as wet and the bread turned out prettier.  But I liked the consistency better the last time.  Still experimenting.

Ice cream, if you have a stand mixer with a dough hook it takes very little effort.  You do have to wait for it to rise a few times, but the years and mixer do 95% of the work.

Meri, I'll pass that recipe to a GF friend.

And Nadra, do you like challah?  My challah recipes makes EXCELLENT rolls.  I'm going to use it to make rolls as well, then use the rolls as our chanukiah since Chanukah and Thanksgiving intersect this year (totally rare occurrence).

:bouquet:

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 10:02:08 PM »
Diablita, I have my mom's kickass roll recipe.  I'm just worried about screwing it up and giving myself the Thanksgiving Sads. 

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:37:56 PM »
Ok folks quit bragging on roll recipes and start sharing! >:( ;)
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2013, 06:23:50 AM »

+-SUPPORT US