Author Topic: Washing Produce ahead of time  (Read 4796 times)

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
Washing Produce ahead of time
« on: September 23, 2013, 04:19:39 PM »
Awhile back I used to wash all of my parsley, cilantro, and romaine lettuce right when i'd get home from the store. I lay it on paper towels to dry for a bit then put in ziplocks lined with paper towels. Saves me tons of time while cooking and I waste less. I got out of the habit of doing that, but I've started again. One, because I'm wasting more here. And two, because almost everything has bugs in it here!! But, I can't remember if I used to seal the ziplock all the way or leave a little bit open. Is air good or bad?
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
Re: Washing Produce ahead of time
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »
I would close it with air in it... keep the moisture but still have air.

I have no idea if that works better than squeezing the air out or leaving it open.  When I buy cilantro, I keep it in a jar of water on the counter or in the fridge... like cut flowers.

Offline mango

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:10:07 AM »
as usual, you raise some intriguing questions, moroccanlady.

to which I would say: do an experiment with your veggies!

1. one bag closed with air in it
2. another bag closed with the air squeezed out
3. a third bag with an opening to let a breath of fresh air in and out (although this makes one wonder just how fresh the air inside the fridge could be)
4. instead of using ziplock bags, put your veggies in a jar of water on the counter or in the fridge -- like cut flowers

and see what works best, and report back!

Offline floridagal

• The Runners
Re: Re: Washing Produce ahead of time
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 09:32:09 AM »
as usual, you raise some intriguing questions, moroccanlady.

to which I would say: do an experiment with your veggies!

1. one bag closed with air in it
2. another bag closed with the air squeezed out
3. a third bag with an opening to let a breath of fresh air in and out (although this makes one wonder just how fresh the air inside the fridge could be)
4. instead of using ziplock bags, put your veggies in a jar of water on the counter or in the fridge -- like cut flowers

and see what works best, and report back!
that would make a great kids science  project!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If I've learned nothing else, it's that people are crazy.
--RioG

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
I know that those special veggie keeper ziplocs have perforations in them so maybe a bit of air is a good thing? 
Threads like this remind me why I have free time  :D  I wash and dry my produce once every never  :-[
Because PANTS

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 06:29:54 PM »
I know that those special veggie keeper ziplocs have perforations in them so maybe a bit of air is a good thing? 
Threads like this remind me why I have free time  :D  I wash and dry my produce once every never  :-[

:hah: I was thinking...hmm I've never washed my cilantro!
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 01:20:26 AM »
Well, I washed herbs back home because sometimes there would be sand or dirt in them. But here, there are bugs in everything. It's like they pull it out of the ground and put it on the store shelves!
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 08:31:53 AM »
Well, I washed herbs back home because sometimes there would be sand or dirt in them. But here, there are bugs in everything. It's like they pull it out of the ground and put it on the store shelves!

I belonged to a CSA this year.  Some weeks the produce would come and it was very clean (I would still rinse it off) and other weeks I swear they didn't even try to shake the dirt off of the food.  One week the lettuce was so covered in dirt I had to wash and rinse it 4 times and I swear there was still dirt on it when I finally used it for a salad. If I had to deal with that all the time< i would probably never eat fresh produce.

+-SUPPORT US