Author Topic: Cajun recipe thread  (Read 2510 times)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
Cajun recipe thread
« on: February 04, 2013, 05:06:54 PM »
With Mardi Gras coming up and all...although some of us tried some things for Super Bowl.

I made this yesterday, except that I also added diced tomatoes.  And added some red pepper flakes in addition to the cayenne. 

1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup celery, finely sliced
1 bunch green onion, chopped, divided
4 tablespoons butter, cubed
1 1/4 teaspoons seafood seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1 lb uncooked shrimp, peeled, deveined and cleaned
5 1/3 cups water
1 1/3 cups quick-cooking grits
8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup whipping cream or 1/4 cup half-and-half cream

Directions:
1 - Coat 4 1/2 qt crock pot with nonstick cooking spray. Add bell peppers, celery, all but 1/2 cup of green onions, butter, seafood seasoning, and red pepper. Cover and cook on LOW 4 hrs or on High 2 hours.
2 - Turn crock pot to HIGH. Add shrimp. Cover. cook 15 minutes longer. Meanwhile, bring water to boil in medium saucepan. Add grits and cook according to package.
3 - Stir in cheese, cream and remaining 1/2 cup green onions. Cook 5 minutes longer or until cheese has melted. Serve over grits.

It was tasty.  And even better today.  However, if I'm going to bring a dish like this for a work potluck, I can't have something that has multiple cooking steps.  It has to all go in the crockpot at the beginning, or at least not have some separate step on the stove.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline all-smiles

• The Runners
Re: Cajun recipe thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 05:16:57 PM »
Hmm I've never made shrimp n grits in the crock pot! Mmm now I'm craving grillades n grits :-[
Sufficient unto the day is one baby. As long as you are in your right mind don't you ever pray for twins. Twins amount to a permanent riot; and there ain't any real difference between triplets and a insurrection.
- Mark Twain

+-SUPPORT US