Author Topic: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!  (Read 31100 times)

Offline Clementine

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!
« on: December 12, 2012, 12:05:28 PM »
Chickpea Potato Curry: http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chickpea_potato_curry/

(Use olive oil to make it vegan. You can probably reduce to 1 TBSP if you want to go lower fat.)

Quick and easy chickpea curry with Yukon Gold potatoes, stewed tomatoes, cumin, ginger, coriander and garbanzo beans.

Prep time: 10 minutes
    Cook time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
    Two 15-ounce cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained and rinsed
    One 14 1/2-ounce can fire-roasted or stewed tomatoes with chiles (See Muir Glen. If you can't find canned tomatoes with chiles you can add half a 4-ounce can of diced green anaheim chiles to a 14.5 ounce can of tomatoes.)
    6 baby (new) Yukon Gold potatoes (about 12 ounces), quartered
    1 medium onion, diced (about 2 cups)
    2 Tbsp unsalted butter (or ghee if you have it, or you can sub olive oil)
    2 teaspoons minced ginger
    1-2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground cumin
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)

Method

1 In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-high heat and sauté the onions and ginger until the onion begins to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add the salt, cumin, coriander and cayenne, stir to combine and cook for another minute or two.

2 Add the remaining ingredients, stir to mix and simmer vigorously for about 35 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add more salt to taste.

Serve the curry in bowls over rice. Great accompanied with plain yogurt.

Yield: Serves 4-6.

Offline Clementine

Re: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
Lentil Artichoke Stew: http://support.cancerproject.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=3121.0\

I cook the lentils for about 5-10 minutes before adding the tomatoes and lemon juice. I find that otherwise it takes them forever to soften up. I usually serve it over whole wheat couscous.

Makes 6 servings

1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 onion, chopped
2 large garlic cloves, pressed or minced
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 cup dry (uncooked) red lentils (3 cups cooked)
1 bay leaf
2 cups water
juice of 1 lemon
2 24-ounce cans chopped tomatoes (preferably fire-roasted), undrained, or 6 cups freshly chopped tomatoes plus 1 cup tomato juice
1 1/2 cups quartered artichoke hearts (1 9-ounce frozen package or 1 15-ounce can)
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon black pepper, or to taste

Heat broth in a large saucepan. Add onion and sauté on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Add dried lentils, bay leaf, and water to pan and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add lemon juice, tomatoes and their liquid, artichokes, and crushed red pepper (if using). Simmer for about 20 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Add salt and black pepper, or to taste.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 12:10:55 PM »
Black Bean, Pasta, and Artichoke Heart Medley: http://www.sharp.com/nutrition/bean-pasta-artichoke-medley.cfm

You could also serve this over brown rice, couscous, or any other grain if you don't want to do pasta.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 cup sliced green onions
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1/2 teaspoon basil
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/8 teaspoon black pepper
    1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    1 garlic clove, minced
    2 14 1/2-ounce cans no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
    1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
    4 cups hot cooked pasta (any shape)
    1 14-ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered

Directions
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and sauté 5 minutes. Add oregano, basil, salt, peppers, garlic and tomatoes; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Add beans; cover and simmer an additional 5 minutes. Combine bean mixture, hot cooked pasta and artichoke hearts in a large bowl. Toss well. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:15:13 PM »
Potato leek soup. Use veggie broth and no milk or cream.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:16:50 PM »
Moroccan Chickpea and Vegetable Stew: http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=223163

Sub vegetable broth (or water) for chicken broth to make it vegan. I usually use a bit more of each of the veggies and bump up the spices, but it comes out fine if you just follow the recipe. I generally serve over whole wheat couscous as the recipe says, but have also had good luck serving it in or next to roasted acorn squash.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
    2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed zucchini
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1 tablespoon bottled minced garlic
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    2 tablespoons raisins
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
    1 1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
    3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    2 (15 1/2-ounce) cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
    1 (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added stewed tomatoes, undrained
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 cup uncooked couscous

Preparation

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add zucchini, onion, carrot, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Stir in broth and the next 9 ingredients (broth through tomatoes); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.

While the chickpea mixture simmers, prepare couscous. Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.

Serve the stew over couscous.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
Skillet Gnocchi with White Beans: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html

I like this better with baby spinach than with chard. Also, I find it takes longer to brown the gnocchi than this recipe says. You can top with just a bit of parmesan -- i.e. leave out the mozzarella --  to reduce your cheese consumption or use nutritional yeast topping to make it vegan.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
    1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi, (see Tip)
    1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1/2 cup water
    6 cups chopped chard leaves, (about 1 small bunch) or spinach
    1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings
    1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
    1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

Preparation

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Tips & Notes

Tip: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
i rarely ever use fake stuff, unless DH requests it.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline MiniDriver

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 12:27:16 PM »
Thank you!  I've just started looking over the nutritionmd.org site, and it's terrific.  I'm also reading the Engine #2 Diet.  Rip Esselstyne is totally hot, btw.

One of my challenges is that I'm only cooking for me (and sometimes my husband), so I need things that are easily portioned and frozen.  I'm happy to eat the same thing over and over for a few meals, so I usually prepare a few six-serving meals on Friday or Saturday and portion and freeze until I'm ready to eat.  Beans freeze very well, potatoes not so much. 

This one sounds appealing:

Mexican Skillet Pie

Makes about 12 servings

This stovetop entrée requires a very large skillet (14" or larger). If you don't have a skillet this large, you can assemble it in a 9"×13" baking dish and bake it at 350°F for 30 minutes.

1 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained
1 1/2 cups water-packed roasted red peppers (about 6 peppers), divided
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed butter)
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 cup water
1 onion, chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
12 corn tortillas
1 15-ounce can corn, drained
3 green onions, chopped
2 15-ounce can vegetarian chili beans

Combine garbanzo beans, 1/2 cup roasted peppers, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, and cumin in a food processor or blender and process until completely smooth, 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.

Heat water in a 14" or larger skillet. Add onion and garlic and cook over high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomatoes, then arrange tortillas on top (there will be several layers).

Spread chili beans evenly over tortillas and top with remaining 1 cup roasted peppers, corn, and an even layer of the garbanzo mixture.

Cover skillet and cook over medium heat until hot and steamy, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions and serve.

Sort of a yummy lasagna-like substance.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

She's an awful, awful human being.

I tend to trust Mini on these issues
Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
see Forks Over Knives, they were part of that documentary.

are you on pinterest? go here: http://pinterest.com/merigayle/main-course-recipes-i-have-made/

These are all ones i have made (atleast the ones i remembered to put there, and i usually comment about how they were)

I find a lot of recipes on Fat free vegan's blog, amazing stuff on there.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 12:31:25 PM »
Spicy greens with bulgur from http://thym-thym.blogspot.ca/2009/02/kitchen-la-cuisine.html

- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp cumin, freshly ground
- 1 tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
-1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp fine bulgur
- 1 spinach bunch
- 1 arugula bunch
- 1 tbsp cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt, Black Pepper

Wash the spinach and arugula. Drain off the excess water and put them in the basket section of a steamer. Cover and steam over simmering water until the greens just start to wilt, but still have their vibrant green color, about 5 - 7 minutes. When cold to handle, squeeze the water out of the greens and chop roughly. Set aside.

In a pan, heat the olive oil. Add the onions and cook on a medium heat until translucent but not brown, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, pound the garlic with turmeric, cumin, and pepper flakes to a paste using a mortar and pestle. Add the garlic paste to the onions and stir to incorporate. Add The tomato paste and the stock and bring to a boil. Add the bulgur and stir again. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook covered until the bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes, depending on the variety of your bulgur.
Uncover the pan and add the steamed greens and the herbs to the sauce. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes and then remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Because PANTS

Offline Clementine

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 12:36:59 PM »
One of my challenges is that I'm only cooking for me (and sometimes my husband), so I need things that are easily portioned and frozen.  I'm happy to eat the same thing over and over for a few meals, so I usually prepare a few six-serving meals on Friday or Saturday and portion and freeze until I'm ready to eat.  Beans freeze very well, potatoes not so much. 

Yes. I'm usually just cooking for myself and eat the leftovers for a few days. I've always found that vegan recipes are safe in the fridge for a week or so and reheat really well. (Whereas, I'm not a big fan of re-heated meat.)

Offline Clementine

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 12:39:19 PM »
I posted a couple of tofu recipes here: http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=70397.msg1540462#msg1540462

Try them even you think you don't like tofu. Coating the tofu cubes with cornstarch/cornmeal and pan frying makes them a great "intro" tofu. (Maybe more oil than you want though?)

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 12:42:16 PM »
see Forks Over Knives, they were part of that documentary.

are you on pinterest? go here: http://pinterest.com/merigayle/main-course-recipes-i-have-made/

These are all ones i have made (atleast the ones i remembered to put there, and i usually comment about how they were)

I find a lot of recipes on Fat free vegan's blog, amazing stuff on there.

I loved Forks over Knives, that's what inspired me.  Along with the hotness of Rip.

I'm not at all active on pinterest, but I'll check out your page.

Clementine, I love tofu.  I like making scrambled tofu with onions, peppers, tomatoes and sometimes papaya with sazon goya and hot sauce for kick.    Thanks again for your research.
#minidriverisagenius

Shut up mini. Just because google changed it, doesn't mean in elementary school, we got it wrong.

Mini is so smart!

Offline Clementine

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:42:39 PM »
Boyfriend-Approved Spicy Black Bean Burgers: http://www.eatliverun.com/boyfriend-approved-spicy-black-bean-burgers/

I think merigayle originally posted this recipe, but it's good. I often skip the bun, top with avocado slices, and eat with a fork.

Ingredients:

2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
1 T ground flax + 3 T water
1 jalapeno
2 cloves garlic
2 T tomato sauce
1/2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp cumin
1 1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup corn (fresh or frozen and defrosted)
avocado for topping
olive oil (or canola oil)  for frying burgers

Directions:

Seed and roughly chop jalapeno. Add it and the garlic cloves to a food processor (or high speed blender) and mince finely. (Alternatively, you could chop them yourselves very finely but it's just easier at this point to throw them in a food processor.)

Add one can of beans to the jalapeno/garlic mixture and pulse to combine. Add cumin and salt and pulse until mixture resembles chunky black bean dip.

In a small bowl, mix together the ground flax and water. Let sit for five minutes.

Transfer the mixture in the food processor to a large bowl and stir in the bread crumbs, tomato sauce, flax and corn. Stir well until everything is combined. Add remaining black beans.

Heat a little olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat. Form black bean mixture into patties and fry for about 4 minutes per side, until golden and crusty brown.

Serve burgers with avocado slices, sriracha and ketchup.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:12:23 PM »
Great ideas!  I think I'll make the Mexican Skillet Pie and Lentil and Mushroom Shepherd's Pie (from Meri's Pinterest) this weekend and see how DH likes them.  There will be plenty of leftovers for me to eat throughout next week (unless DH loves them and then I'm screwed).

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 01:20:18 PM »
Check out Fat Free Vegan's page, almost everything from there has been a mega success. The tofu stuffed shells on pinterest are really good too, probably going to make them for my party this weekend :)

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 01:23:19 PM »
Black Bean, Pasta, and Artichoke Heart Medley: http://www.sharp.com/nutrition/bean-pasta-artichoke-medley.cfm

This sounds good.  I may even have all the ingredients in my pantry.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 01:29:00 PM »
three bean chili (this makes, like, 80 gallons)

3 cans black beans, rinsed, drained
2 cans red kidney beans, rinsed, drained
2 cans pinto beans, rinsed drained
2 cans diced tomatoes
a blob of tomato paste
veggie stock (about 1 cup)
1 vidalia onion, diced
2 sweet potatoes, peeled, cubed
2 chipotle peppers w/adobo, chopped (minimum)
1 T cumin
2 t oregano
2 bay leaves

dump all into a stock pot.  stew over medium heat until it starts to bubble, then reduce heat and simmer until the sweet potatoes are cooked.  serve with cornbread or rice.  don't swallow the bay leaves.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »
Witchy, that's very similar to a recipe I make every three weeks at least, but I add rice directly to the mix and more stock so it's more of a chilli soup.    I use the diced tomatoes with chilis, to make it even spicier.

I think I'll buy some broccoli slaw so I can make this in a pinch:

Broccoli Slaw Stirfry with Tofu

This is a “dry” stir-fry that doesn’t have much sauce, so it’s best served over seasoned rice or pasta. If you have all your ingredients and cookware prepared, you can have it on the table in about 20 minutes.
Ingredients
Tofu

14 ounces extra-frim tofu, cut into small cubes
    2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup rice wine (may substitute pale dry sherry, vermouth, white wine or dry cider; for non-alcoholic substitute, try 3 tablespoons apple juice and 1 tablespoon vinegar)
    2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari

Stir-Fry

1 medium onion
    1/2 red bell pepper
    2 cloves garlic
    1 teaspoon minced ginger root
    1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
    1 12-ounce package broccoli slaw
    2 tablespoons water
    1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
    additional 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari, or to taste

Instructions

Combine the tofu, sliced garlic, rice wine, and 2 tablespoons soy sauce in a gallon-sized ziplock bag. Seal bag and turn gently to coat the tofu with the marinade. (You can also do this in a large bowl, carefully stirring the tofu to coat.) Set aside as you chop the vegetables and heat the skillet.
    Begin heating a large, non-stick skillet or wok over medium-high heat (make sure you have a lid for this pan nearby). While the pan is heating, remove the root and stem ends from the onion, cut it in half top to bottom, and cut each half into thin vertical slices. Slice the bell pepper thinly, and mince the garlic and ginger.
    When the pan is hot, drain the tofu, keeping the marinade in a large bowl. Place the tofu in the skillet and cook, turning every minute or so, until it’s beginning to brown on most sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer the tofu to the large bowl with the marinade, stir gently, and cover with a plate.
    Add the onion to the hot pan and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the bell pepper, garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Add the broccoli slaw and two tablespoons of water and cover quickly. Steam for 2-3 minutes or until slaw is slightly tender but still crisp. Add the tofu and marinade to the skillet along with the sesame oil and additional soy sauce, and stir well. Heat for just a minute or two and serve immediately.

Preparation time: 5 minute(s) | Cooking time: 15 minute(s)

Number of servings (yield): 3
Nutrition Facts

Nutrition (per serving, using a total of 3 tablespoons regular soy sauce): 212 calories, 61 calories from fat, 7.8g total fat, 0mg cholesterol, 643.6mg sodium, 301.9mg potassium, 26.9g carbohydrates, 5.8g fiber, 3.6g sugar, 17.9g protein, 6.7 points.

I might beef it up with some peanuts and dried cranberries.
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline Clementine

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 02:35:38 PM »
This sounds good.  I may even have all the ingredients in my pantry.

That is exactly what I love about that recipe. Pick up some green onions and you're good to go. Or sub a regular onion and it's entirely from the pantry.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/86313/recipebaked-tofu-bites?lnkid=ARPinIt

Made this tonight and it is all gone! All three of us devoured it!

Offline MiniDriver

Re: Re: Vegan Recipes for Mini -- No fake stuff!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »
http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/86313/recipebaked-tofu-bites?lnkid=ARPinIt

Made this tonight and it is all gone! All three of us devoured it!

What did you serve it with?  Seems it would go well with salad.
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:06:38 AM »
we had steamed broccoli and broccolini and kale chips, DH did put his in a salad!

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 06:24:05 PM »
The Mexican Skillet Pie was a hit.  Both of us enjoyed it, though next time we'll substitute black beans and chilis for the canned chili beans, which we found too sweet.

Made Broccoli Slaw Stir Fry for lunch.  A new favorite!  Delicious and super-easy to slap together, my favorite combination.
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 06:57:50 PM »
glad you had some good meals :)

Check out the tofu stuffed shells (i think it was a pbs recipe) in my pinterest. I think I am going to make it for my party tomorrow. But if you make it, cut back the salt, A LOT.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2012, 07:37:08 PM »
Made the lentil and mushroom shepherd's pie, it was a hit!  Substituted sweet potatoes for regular mashed potatoes, and added a lot more spinach.  Very tasty, and I have plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week.

DH was surprised he could be so satisfied with meatless meals.  I was happy he ate them with such gusto.  Vegan success! 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
That is one of my favorite holiday meals.

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2012, 07:18:25 AM »
Made the lentil and mushroom shepherd's pie, it was a hit!  Substituted sweet potatoes for regular mashed potatoes, and added a lot more spinach.  Very tasty, and I have plenty of leftovers for the rest of the week.

DH was surprised he could be so satisfied with meatless meals.  I was happy he ate them with such gusto.  Vegan success! 

Why the new picture?

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2012, 08:49:14 AM »
Why the new picture?

I was having fun with a photo-distortion site that turned a photo of me into an anime drawing. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »
Following on the weekend's success, next weekend's recipes will be the Skillet Gnocchi with White Beans: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/skillet_gnocchi_with_chard_white_beans.html referenced above, and Polenta Lasagna with Porabellas and Kale

Polenta Lasagna with Portabellas and Kale

If you use packaged polenta, slice it into 18 thin slices. If you make your own polenta, spread the cooked polenta out on a baking sheet and use a spoon or your moistened hands to spread it no thicker than 1/4 inch. When it has solidified, either cut it in half and use each half as one layer or cut it into an even number of pieces that you can fit together to fit your baking dish.
Ingredients

1 18-ounce package prepared polenta or 1 recipe of Quick Microwave Polenta
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 large portabella mushroom, cut into 1/4-inch pieces (about 2 cups, chopped)
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1/2 bunch kale (about 8 ounces after trimming), center rib removed and chopped into bite-sized pieces (may substitute spinach or other greens)
1 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste
Cheese sauce (below)
1 1/4 cups marinara sauce (homemade or in a jar)
1/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, chopped
vegan soy parmesan

“Cheese” sauce:
1/2 cup extra-firm silken tofu
1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
1/2 cup vegetable broth
2 tbsp. cashew butter or tahini
1 tsp. onion powder
1 1/2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/8 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. corn starch
Instructions

Preheat oven to 375° F. Spray the bottom and sides of a 8×8-inch baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
    Place the cheese sauce ingredients into a blender or food processor and puree until completely smooth. Set aside.
    Sauté the onions and portabellas in a non-stick skillet until the mushrooms begin to exude their juices. Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute.
    Add the kale, basil, and 1/4 cup water. Sauté until the kale is wilted and tender and the water has evaporated. Add the cheese sauce and cook, stirring, until thickened. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Remove from the heat.
    Cut the polenta into 1/4-inch thick slices. Line the bottom of the baking dish with half of the slices, overlapping slightly if possible. Spread 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce over the polenta, and then spread the kale mixture over the sauce. Sprinkle the chopped olives over the kale and top with the remaining polenta. Spread the remaining marinara sauce over the top and sprinkle with soy parmesan.
    Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes before serving.
    Makes 6 servings—if you can resist eating the whole pan yourself!

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »
is that the fat free vegan polenta lasagna? i make my own polenta and use spinach. one of our favorite meals. no olives either here.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
is that the fat free vegan polenta lasagna? i make my own polenta and use spinach. one of our favorite meals. no olives either here.

Yes, I'm editing out the olives as well.  I love 'em, but DH will pick them out.  I'll probably use kale since we both enjoy it, and we just had spinach in the shepherd's pie.  I'll make my own polenta, because it's so easy.
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
Yeah home made polenta is easy and cheap!

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »
DH hated the Polenta lasagna, so that's a fail.  But the gnocci went down very well, so the weekend wasn't a total disaster mealwise. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2012, 10:15:55 AM »
did you like the polenta lasagna? the first time i made it (lets be honest, the inside is not that attractive) he turned his nose up, but on the third night of leftovers, he devoured his and more, and it has been a staple since. I have this great black bean sweet potato quinoa chili in my pinterest that is one of our faves, with avocado on top!

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2013, 01:10:55 PM »

I finally tried this.  Success!  Well, sort of.  My green onions went slimy before I got around to making it.  So I cut up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 3/4 cup of regular ol' yellow onion.  Also, slicing canned tomatoes?  Messy, even just to cut in half.  I may try diced tomatoes next time.  Fortunately the jar of artichoke hearts I had, they were already cut up.  I think a little more cayenne than the recipe calls for would be good also.  But it was good, and the person I ate with really liked it.  (He liked it more than I did).  He also thought it would be good with goat cheese on top, but maybe he just likes goat cheese. 
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

Offline Clementine

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2013, 01:38:13 PM »
I finally tried this.  Success!  Well, sort of.  My green onions went slimy before I got around to making it.  So I cut up somewhere in the neighborhood of 1/2 to 3/4 cup of regular ol' yellow onion.  Also, slicing canned tomatoes?  Messy, even just to cut in half.  I may try diced tomatoes next time.  Fortunately the jar of artichoke hearts I had, they were already cut up.  I think a little more cayenne than the recipe calls for would be good also.  But it was good, and the person I ate with really liked it.  (He liked it more than I did).  He also thought it would be good with goat cheese on top, but maybe he just likes goat cheese.

Oh yeah... should have noted that I always just use diced tomatoes. Glad you liked it!

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2013, 09:21:20 AM »
I've had mixed success so far.  I think I've become overly dependent on tofu and home-made veggie burgers. 

This week I'm having black bean burgers with mushrooms and kale for dinner and pad thai for lunch. 

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2013, 10:05:22 AM »
Mini - a thread from a while ago with some good stuff in it: http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=37506.msg756849#msg756849

the chick pea romesco was fantastic!

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12:14 AM »
I have never made a bad recipe from BBC Good Food (but I do read the reviews before deciding whether to try things), and they have lots of vegan recipes:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search.do?filterItem=course12&keywords=vegan

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2013, 11:55:36 AM »
I've been eating a TON of roasted veggies lately. Lots of flavor and very satisfying. I typically serve them over farro (I cook a big batch at the beginning of the week). Not sure how we're defining "fake stuff" but I also like them with field roast sausage or their quarter loaf (varios flavors). I don't really consider field roast "fake stuff" (it's just seitan with seasonings etc) but ymmv. Lots of flavor and might at some satisfaction to your meals- definitely not a "meaty" flavored product. You do have to be careful about portion sizes though.

This is one of my favorite vegan meals... really yummy. Takes some effort, but so tasty! http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/jamaican-veggie-patties-recipe.html  Spend some time on her site... she's got a lot of really good meals. I really liked her Otsu recipe and one for "big slurp" dumpling soup.

I find mujadarra deeply satisfying: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/lentils-brown-rice-and-caramelized-onions (I would leave out the cinnamon and I make it with unpearled barley or farro).

These are amazing! You can make the mixture ahead of time. You don't have to fry it as described, it's actually yummy enough to eat with a fork- if you were so inclined. http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/red-lentil-kofte-with-tomato-cucumber-salad

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2013, 12:05:18 PM »
Oh, one more of my favorites that can easily be adapted to vegan... linguine with broccoli rabbe and carmelized onions. If you can't find the broccoli rabbe you can use mustard greens and broccolini. Basically, I carmelize two onions (plan ahead, this takes forever). You really want them sweet and sticky for this dish. Then I sautee the broccoli rabbe with lots of olive oil and garlic. Make sure you boil the pasta in salted water. Then, toss all of the above. This is exellent with really good parm, but you can definitel skip the parm (you might want to add a little more salt). The bitter greens really play well with the sweet onions and pasta. If the lack of protein scares you toss in some canellini beans. You can use the canned ones although these beans are ridiculously good so I make a big pot of them and keep them on hand just for this kind of occasion: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Tuscan-Beans-104559

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2013, 12:24:37 PM »
I eat a LOT of beans, especially lentils. Would you want some bean recipes?

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2013, 02:02:31 PM »
I eat a LOT of beans, especially lentils. Would you want some bean recipes?

Sure!  I eat beans almost every day. 

Lotsa good new links here, thanks everybody!
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2013, 10:44:44 AM »
I was thinking about you when I made these last night: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html I don't really make them as written though. I don't add the egg to the nest... I pan fry them as a pattie and then top with tomato sauce. Yum! I toss an egg in the mix, because I'm not vegan- but you could skip it and I bet it'd be fine.

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2013, 10:56:42 AM »
Threads like this are so much fun. I love to see the recipes others recommend.

What is the difference between dal and mujadara?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Mujadarra is specifically a combination of carmelized onions, rice (except I don't use rice), and lentils. I add in some cumin too. I believe it's of middle eastern origin.

Dhal is more of a stew and wouldn't include the other ingredients, just the legumes. It also has a lot more spices in it and I think comes from india.

In both cases, because they are just general home style dishes, you're going to see a lot of variation in recipes, etc.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2013, 11:13:34 AM »
Mujadarra is specifically a combination of carmelized onions, rice (except I don't use rice), and lentils. I add in some cumin too. I believe it's of middle eastern origin.

definitely middle eastern... I don't use rice either, but I've also never seen it prepared with rice

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2013, 11:24:31 AM »
I was thinking about you when I made these last night: http://urbanposer.blogspot.com/2011/12/rosemary-spaghetti-squash-egg-nests.html I don't really make them as written though. I don't add the egg to the nest... I pan fry them as a pattie and then top with tomato sauce. Yum! I toss an egg in the mix, because I'm not vegan- but you could skip it and I bet it'd be fine.

MMM!  I also liked the idea of the spaghetti squash latkes. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2013, 11:25:41 AM »
MMM!  I also liked the idea of the spaghetti squash latkes. 

That's basically what they'd be... but rosemary flavored. Yum! I ate them with tomato sauce. DD had roasemary/lemon chicken, apple sauce, and a couple of these on the side and it got the thumbs up.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2013, 01:00:55 PM »
This recipe looks great! And a link to one she makes for spaghetti squash latkes.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #52 on: February 02, 2013, 11:14:24 PM »
So I'm going to a super bowl party tomorrow with a buncha vegans, so I found this blog post:

The Big Vegan Super Vowl Recipe Round Up

The cauliflower wings look amazing.

and she made them into a pizza with a cornmeal crust. Awesome!

but I don't think that will be potluck-practical, so I'm doing the spinach-artichoke dip

Offline Clementine

« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2013, 12:42:44 AM »
I just saw a recipe for buffalo hummus -- sounded delicious and more potluck-friendly. Looks like there are a bunch of recipes out there. The one I saw was similar to this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/buffalo-wing-hummus-recipe/index.html

Offline Cool Foot Luke

• The Runners
    • The Promise of Living
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2013, 12:25:10 PM »
The vegans didn't show.

The damn vegans didn't show.

How could they?

Now I have leftovers. It's pretty good, but still...

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2013, 01:10:35 PM »
The vegans were all watching Downton Abby, Luke. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 09:40:50 PM »

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
Vegan Cabbage Rolls is on the menu for this weekend.

Ingredients
Sauce

1 medium onion, chopped
    pinch baking soda
    4 cloves garlic clove, minced
    28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes*
    16-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes*, pureed in blender
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon salt* (or to taste)
    generous grating black pepper
    1/4 cup raisins

Cabbage and Filling

1 large cabbage
    3 cups cooked lentils (from 1 1/4 cup dry)
    1 cup cooked grain (bulgur wheat, kasha, brown rice, quinoa, etc.)
    1 medium onion, minced
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1 teaspoon paprika (smoked or regular)
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon salt* (or to taste)
    1/4 teaspoon allspice

Instructions

Sauce: Heat a large non-stick pan and add the onions and a pinch of baking soda. Cook until the onion softens, about 3-5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Add all remaining sauce ingredients except the raisins, reduce heat to low, and cover. Cook for at least 30 minutes as you prepare the cabbage leaves and filling.
    Fill a large deep pan with enough water to cover a cabbage and bring it to a boil. Remove all torn or ragged outer leaves from the cabbage. Use a paring knife to cut at an angle around the core and remove as much of it as you can. Put the cabbage core-end up into the boiling water and cook until the leaves soften and begin to come free of the cabbage; you may use a fork or tongs to loosen leaves if they become stuck, but be careful not to tear them. Remove each leaf and repeat until you have 10-12 whole cabbage leaves. (I’ve also read that you can freeze the cabbage overnight and let it thaw the next day; the leaves will be softened the same as after boiling. I haven’t tried this, though.)
    Place the leaves and the remaining cabbage head in a strainer and rinse under cold water. Finely shred the cabbage remaining on the head and add it to the sauce along with the raisins. Keep the sauce covered and continue to cook on very low.
    In a medium bowl, mix the lentils and all remaining ingredients, adding salt and pepper to taste. Dry each cabbage leaf gently and trim the thick rib near the stem end of each leaf.
    Put a cabbage leaf on your work surface with the concave side up, like a cup, and the stem end toward you. Place about 1/3 cup of the lentil mixture near the stem end (a little more for large leaves, less for smaller ones) and mold it into an oblong shape. Fold the stem up over the filling and then fold each of the sides toward the middle. Roll the filling up the rest of the leaf. You should have a nice, tight package. Place it on a plate and repeat with remaining leaves. (If you have some filling left over, it makes a delicious salad.)
    Spread about half of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot. Place each cabbage roll, seam-side down, on top of the sauce in a single layer. (It’s okay if it’s a snug fit.) Spread the remaining sauce over the rolls. Cover and cook on your lowest heat setting until the cabbage is tender, about 45-60 minutes, being careful not to burn the bottom.
    To serve, place two cabbage rolls on a plate and cover with sauce.

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2013, 04:28:46 PM »
there are several phenomenal veggie salad recipes in this month's food and wine magazine (we made a couple for supper last night, and they were superb).  i will look for links...

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2013, 04:55:31 PM »
Mini- let me know how those turn out. I have had 99% success with her recipes.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2013, 09:39:35 AM »
Mini- let me know how those turn out. I have had 99% success with her recipes.

It was a fail for me.  The cabbage was tough, and didn't roll well.  There was way too much of everything - why are there always tons of leftovers of stuff that doesn't go over well?  The stuffing was bland and needed more oomph.  The sauce was good, but not a good sauce-to-roll ratio.  I ended up with about a quart of leftover filling, 5 cabbage rolls that didn't fit into my pan (10 barely fit into a lasagna pan) and no leftover sauce. 

I found I needed to bake at 350 for an hour and half for the rolls to be fully heated in the middle, the sauce to be bubbling, and the cabbage was still tough.

Not a repeater, though I'll be eating the leftovers for weeks in penance.
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2013, 09:50:12 AM »
I threw together a farro, beet, butternut squash and cucumber salad this weekend.

Cut the squash into small cubes and roasted with olive oil, salt and an Italian herb blend.  Boiled, peeled and chopped up the beets and tossed with the squash, cooked farro and cucumber. salt and pepper to taste.  My non-vegan addition: feta cheese.

Very tasty. :)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2013, 10:02:07 AM »
It was a fail for me. 

Ugh. I'm so sorry you've had so many duds.  :( This is one of the reasons I generally avoid blogs. The food is often mediocre at best. If you're feeling your resolve waiver, I'd stick to published cook books and magazines for a while. Not that you won't run into the ocassional dud... but I seem to have better luck with tested recipes myself.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
It was a fail for me.  The cabbage was tough, and didn't roll well.  There was way too much of everything - why are there always tons of leftovers of stuff that doesn't go over well?  The stuffing was bland and needed more oomph.  The sauce was good, but not a good sauce-to-roll ratio.  I ended up with about a quart of leftover filling, 5 cabbage rolls that didn't fit into my pan (10 barely fit into a lasagna pan) and no leftover sauce. 

I found I needed to bake at 350 for an hour and half for the rolls to be fully heated in the middle, the sauce to be bubbling, and the cabbage was still tough.

:( i forget, was the cabbage blanched first? Most recipes I have seen blanch the cabbage leaves.

My very first recipe from her blog was an utter fail, but i eventually tried again and almost all of them were smashing successes. theppk.com which people hail her blog and her cookbooks, i have had really mixed success with her recipes.

I like blog recipes because i read through the comments (but nothing irks me more than non helpful comments like, oh it looks good, just effing tell me if you made it and how it was!) and look at alterations and substitutions people make. I find with a lot of recipes i have to adjust the seasoning and usually add A LOT more seasonings than the recipes called for.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
theppk.com which people hail her blog and her cookbooks, i have had really mixed success with her recipes.

I like blog recipes because i read through the comments (but nothing irks me more than non helpful comments like, oh it looks good, just effing tell me if you made it and how it was!) and look at alterations and substitutions people make. I find with a lot of recipes i have to adjust the seasoning and usually add A LOT more seasonings than the recipes called for.

I agree with both of these things. I am not a fan of the ppk. I have tried several of the recipes and they aren't for me. Also, if you're concerned about weight management- they definitely do not skimp on fat!

I also add way more seasoning than a recipe calls for.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:42 AM »
I agree with both of these things. I am not a fan of the ppk. I have tried several of the recipes and they aren't for me. Also, if you're concerned about weight management- they definitely do not skimp on fat!

I also add way more seasoning than a recipe calls for.
and i got her low fat cookbook and thought it was LAME-O!

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »

don't make cabbage rolls in rolls.  layer the cabbage and filling like a lasagna.  it cuts down on time and effort, and the results are more thoroughly cooked.

Offline Clementine

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »

I hate wasting food, but I always give myself permission to throw out leftovers that I really don't like. I feel like this policy allows me to experiment with new recipes without fretting about the consequences.

ETA: I usually try to eat at least one "leftover portion" of each new recipe because they do sometimes get better with time and/or reheating. If I still dislike it after that, I don't force myself to eat the rest.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:26:19 PM by Clementine »

Online Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »
I hate wasting food, but I always give myself permission to throw out leftovers that I really don't like. I feel like this policy allows me to experiment with new recipes without fretting about the consequences.

ETA: I usually try to eat at least one "leftover portion" of each new recipe because they do sometimes get better with time and/or reheating. If I still dislike it after that, I don't force myself to eat the rest.

I would agree on this, but I must say that it does not ahppen often.  If you like to eat all the ingredients separately, it's not likley that a recipe will turn out bad.

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2013, 01:40:38 PM »
I threw together a farro, beet, butternut squash and cucumber salad this weekend.

Cut the squash into small cubes and roasted with olive oil, salt and an Italian herb blend.  Boiled, peeled and chopped up the beets and tossed with the squash, cooked farro and cucumber. salt and pepper to taste.  My non-vegan addition: feta cheese.

Very tasty. :)

That sounds delicious!  I love beets.

#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2013, 05:54:15 PM »
I made happy hebivore hippie loaf for dinner, with spme alterations, super yummy! Mine fell apart but i omitted flour and forgot to mash beans :D i kept adding seasonings to taste before puting in oven

Offline MiniDriver

« Reply #72 on: March 11, 2013, 08:44:18 AM »
Made Creamy Cashew veggie pot pie yesterday, very tasty.  I think without the creamy cashew sauce it wouldn't be as tasty.  I used bisquick instead of making the biscuit dough, because I am notoriously bad at biscuits.

Also made Sunshine Muffins this weekend.  Use oj instead of egg  and left out the sugar and they were wonderful. 
#minidriverisagenius

Mini is so smart!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: March 11, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »
Pinning the muffins! You can also use flax meal instead of egg, 1 tbs mixed with 3 tbs warm water = 1 egg in baking.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #74 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:44 AM »
Bump because this is a great thread.

+-SUPPORT US