Forum > The Fruit Stand (Photography)

Pressure!

(1/5) > >>

Yogi:
My cousins asked me to take some photos of their eleven-month old for their Christmas photo.

I do not do portraits. I know nothing about shooting children and families. Zero. I told them this.

So... I've been reviewing some books about portraits and we're going to do it this weekend. I wanted to do it two weeks ago so they would have enough time to find a professional. But we're shooting Saturday.  Hopefully they can still find a pro if they don't like any of my shots.

I know my limits! Landscapes, wildlife, sports, monuments/statuary... that's where I put my effort and where I'm improving. Not people!!

Ack. Oh well.

cgraz:
You can do it! Just take a zillion. They probably want something a bit better than a snapshot they could take, and they trust you. Have fun with it, and just keep shooting. And ask LL and ellen for tips!

Yogi:

--- Quote from: cgraz on November 14, 2012, 07:31:15 AM ---You can do it! Just take a zillion. They probably want something a bit better than a snapshot they could take, and they trust you. Have fun with it, and just keep shooting. And ask LL and ellen for tips!

--- End quote ---

I am definitely going to take a zillion :)

Am trying to remind myself of the basics - don't shoot down at kids, stay at eye level. Focus is on the face. Zoom in tight, get eye contact for some but I want to try to get some of her focusing on something/someone else. Nothing too matchy-matchy or studio-portraity.

I'm just nervous.

omega lambda:
Not sure what you've read and such, but I'll throw this out there; use a very long lens.  The longer the better, and then use an aperture of 5.6 to 8.  The very long length is flattering (for some reason the compression of space is very flattering for portraits - not sure why, it is just so! ;) ), it will also allow you to be a little further back which can make your subjects more comfortable and most of all will render a very pleasing and oof background.  For portraits, this is really important.

Good luck and have fun!

Yogi:

--- Quote from: omega lambda on November 14, 2012, 11:41:34 AM ---Not sure what you've read and such, but I'll throw this out there; use a very long lens.  The longer the better, and then use an aperture of 5.6 to 8.  The very long length is flattering (for some reason the compression of space is very flattering for portraits - not sure why, it is just so! ;) ), it will also allow you to be a little further back which can make your subjects more comfortable and most of all will render a very pleasing and oof background.  For portraits, this is really important.

Good luck and have fun!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!! I have up to 200mm that opens wide so I should be able to get in really close without being on top of them, like you said. I've been looking at some professional shots online and trying to take note of what makes them "work."

Also, I told them that while I'm flattered and will obviously do my best that I won't be offended (and in fact would hope) if they decide to find a pro portrait photographer if they don't like any of my frames.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version