Author Topic: Thanksgiving Questions  (Read 8076 times)

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
Thanksgiving Questions
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:59:50 PM »
Ok, so it looks like we will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner for us and my MIL and her companion - so 4 people total. I have hosted holidays before but never really done the whole Thanksgiving thing. So I have questions, like info that I need in order to figure out what time to even tell them to come...

1. How large a turkey do I need? Four adults, plus a reasonable amount of leftovers would be nice. Nothing too huge.
2. How long would it take to cook said turkey? I have a turkey trot 5K at 8 am, not far from home. I am assuming I would put the turkey in the oven when I get home from the race at some point. I guess I could have it mostly prepped before that, so I can just pop it in?
3. How much stuff can I make ahead of time? Maybe mashed sweet potatoes...assemble a green bean casserole to bake...stuffing...definitely pie the day before.

I know I can pull this off, but just to be able to tell my MIL some details so it looks like I have some clue as to the plan for the day, I need some help!
This space for rent.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
Re: Thanksgiving Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 09:37:54 PM »
I would get a 10ish pound turkey and unstuffed it will take 3-4 hours.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:51 PM »
When I make the turkey, I always buy a turkey from a local farm that raises its turkeys humanely but doesn't hav organic certification.  Though I ask for a 10 - 12 pound bird, they never have anything smaller than 12 pounds...often closer to 14.  I use Alton Brown's brined turkey mthod and it cooks so quickly (b/c of the high heat initially) that it generally takes 3 hours to cook.  So with something similar you'd have plenty of time.

I think casseroles improve if the flavors meld together overnight but I don't care for sweet potatoes or mashed potatoes the next day.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
What all is on your menu?  Lots of stuff can be prepped in advance and then baked while the turkey is resting.  I would probably prep the stuffing and the green bean casserole in advance and cook them either while the turkey is cooking or else after it comes out of the oven and is resting.  I'd make the mashed potatoes at the last minute.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2012, 06:26:15 AM »
Thanks guys. That all sounds great and gives me a target for the size of the turkey and the time frame I'll need.  :)

Haven't fleshed out the whole menu yet, but it will likely include stuffing (not cooked inside the bird) from an old recipe that I got out of Shape magazine a zillion years ago, that involves reducing chicken stock to concentrate the flavor. I could make that ahead. The veggie contenders are green beans (maybe a non-soup casserole that I can make ahead) and Brussels sprouts (probably just roasted). Maybe if I feel ambitious, I will revisit this yummy cauliflower gratin that I have made once before. That could be assembled ahead.

We would probably have sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, so it sounds like I should not try to make those ahead...need to think about what to do with them, whether mashed or just roasted. I do like something mashed to put my gravy* on.

I will ask my MIL to bring cranberry because I don't eat it and wouldn't know what to buy or how to make it. She usually brings wine, too, and maybe I can ask her to bring the things to nibble on before the meal is ready - yummy salami something or other, cheese, etc.

I'll make pie - apple pie with pecan crumb topping, which I made last year and was instantly elevated to my all-time favorite pie. So that I can definitely do the day before.

*GRAVY. Holy crap, I have never made gravy. Well, I tried once and didn't think it was very good. Is there a trick to it?
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2012, 06:50:21 AM »

*GRAVY. Holy crap, I have never made gravy. Well, I tried once and didn't think it was very good. Is there a trick to it?

the big trick is to make a lot of it!

when you buy turkey it often has the neck in it, and a wax paper packet with giblets... I use the neck and giblets + a bay leaf, a couple of peppercorns, a couple of crushed juniper berries (very much optional), a stick of celery broken into about 3 peices, same for a carrot and an onion, skin-on, cut in half, to make a broth... you can totally do this the day before... strain all the solids out of the broth, then have it simmering by the time the turkey is out of the oven.  When you take the turkey out of the oven to rest for 20-30 min before carving, transfer it to your carving board, pour the pan juices into a pyrex container or a fat separator if you have one... deglaze the turkey pan with broth or some wine, pour the liquid from that into your broth, turn the heat up on the broth to bring to a steady light boil, pour the fat off the pan juices, add the rest of the juice to the broth... and now comes the tricky part: you can make a roux with the turkey fat (equal volume fat and flour), use a ladle to add liquid from your broth to the roux until you have the right consistency, or until you have a thick paste then you can pour it into the broth... because I'm part french canadian, I usually have toasted flour available (regular-ass all purpose flour that I've toasted in a dry cast iron pan either on the stovetop or in the oven)... I use browned flour which has a similar flavour to a roux, but without the fat... I whisk browned flour, a ladle-full of broth, and sometimes a tsp of marmite together, then slowly pour into the boiling broth, whisking constantly to reduce/avoid lumps...  you can mix cornstarch or arrowroot with broth or water and do the same thing (whisk like mad as it dribbles in)...  let it boil slowly until it's thickened, stirring constantly

it sounds more difficult than it actually is

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 07:07:04 AM »
Yeah, that does sound difficult! But I get the basic idea...flavorful broth, deglazing the goodies, adding fat & thickening agent, and letting the slow simmer do its magic...
This space for rent.

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:10:47 AM »
Yeah, that does sound difficult! But I get the basic idea...flavorful broth, deglazing the goodies, adding fat & thickening agent, and letting the slow simmer do its magic...

I've been thinking, even better, since there are only four of you, you could get away with a much simpler option:  pour off the juice, deglaze with a crap load of red wine, add the juice back in and reduce it a wee bit... serve jus instead of gravy

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 07:15:35 AM »
I've been thinking, even better, since there are only four of you, you could get away with a much simpler option:  pour off the juice, deglaze with a crap load of red wine, add the juice back in and reduce it a wee bit... serve jus instead of gravy

That might go over well with the other 3 members of the family - they have been eating mostly gluten-free and/or paleo (although they are flexible with special meals, it's not an allergy or anything), so something without the flour thickening it would make them happy. (Although I might have to slip a little to the side to make my own proper thick gooey gravy just for me.)

ETA...this recipe sounds like it could be good, along those lines...and easy without the seemingly mysterious and temperamental step of the whole thickening thing anyhow!

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/recipes/2007/11/14/turkey-jus-sherry/
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 07:19:44 AM by cgraz »
This space for rent.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 10:53:02 AM »
For a veggie, you could always do steamed green beans and use the frozen microwave bags.  It's not fancy but #1 it won't require oven or stovetop space which can be at a premium during thanksgiving meal prep, and #2 it won't be heavy. Sometimes after all the gravy, potatoes, rolls, and pie, I just want some nice "clean" veggies with no extra oil, butter, starch, or what have you. 

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
Just be sure to not use the liver in your giblet broth!

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 12:34:16 PM »
Even if you want to cook everything day of, you can still do a lot of the prep ahead of time. The sweet potatoes can roast while the turkey is roasing though- easy peasy. But, if you're making stuffing, pre-cut all your veggies (can all go in a single bin together), cube your bread stale is fine, reduce your stock the day before, etc. If you're making the gratin, pregrate the cheese, separate the cauliflower into florets, etc. Having everything ready to start cooking, cuts down on the time a lot.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 12:39:48 PM »
That's exactly what I will do RA, thanks. I will be stuck at home on Tuesday (sewer repair), so that will be the house prep day - get recipes organized, get out any special dishes or pans, clean the house, and make sure I have any last-minute items or ingredients. Maybe even make the pie crust. Then Wednesday I'll bake the pie and do all the other mise en place.
This space for rent.

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2012, 09:34:14 PM »
A make ahead sweet potato favorite ...

Bake sweet potatoes until almost done but still slightly firm still.  Cool, peel, slice into rounds (about a cm thick). 

Melt about equal parts butter, brown sugar, and orange juice from concentrate (add sprinkle of salt too) (if you are interested in making but this is too general I'll get the specifics from my mom).

Layer sweet potato rounds in lightly buttered casserole.  Brush liberally with glaze.  Cover with foil and refrigerate until turkey day.  Then uncover and bake in 400 ish degree oven until potatoes are warm and topping is brown and bubbly.  You can do two layers of sweet potatoes but only the top will have the perfect crispy touch.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2012, 06:47:12 AM »
That does sound good teetime, and the kind of recipe where you don't have to be too specific. I will definitely try it at some point, because we eat a lot of sweet potatoes all the time here.

I think I'm going the savory route with the sweet potatoes this time around - I found a recipe on Martha Stewart that allows for partial make-ahead - this Sweet Potato and Sage Butter Casserole.

And in the same feature on make-ahead Thanksgiving dishes, I also found this Cauliflower Gratin recipe that can be partially assembled ahead of time, too.
This space for rent.

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2012, 08:04:21 AM »
Ok, so it looks like we will be hosting Thanksgiving dinner for us and my MIL and her companion - .

What exactly is a companion? Is it partner, so or just a friend? Are they being paid? Wil they be offered a leg?

:d
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

Offline cgraz

• The Runners
  • Invisible since 2001.
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 08:41:17 AM »
What exactly is a companion? Is it partner, so or just a friend? Are they being paid? Wil they be offered a leg?

:d

It's hard to explain, which is why I used that word!  :D 

I think a long time ago when they first met, they were dating (well before my time in this family) but for many years (at least 15+, I think) they have basically been platonic roommates. He lives in her house. They are in their 70's/80's, so I'm not too sure how else to refer to him. He does the cooking and gardening, and has his own room, but they have no legal or romantic relationship. They travel together, do activities like square dancing, etc.

So no payment, unless you count free room and board! And he can have a turkey leg if he wants.  :D
This space for rent.

Offline Alf Tupper

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2012, 09:25:42 AM »
It's hard to explain, which is why I used that word!  :D 

I think a long time ago when they first met, they were dating (well before my time in this family) but for many years (at least 15+, I think) they have basically been platonic roommates. He lives in her house. They are in their 70's/80's, so I'm not too sure how else to refer to him. He does the cooking and gardening, and has his own room, but they have no legal or romantic relationship. They travel together, do activities like square dancing, etc.

So no payment, unless you count free room and board! And he can have a turkey leg if he wants.  :D

That sounds like the relationship my grandmother had - in her 90s. It's lovely if they're happy with it.

:)
If you lose one sense, your other senses are enhanced.

That's why people with no sense of humour have an increased sense of self-importance.

+-SUPPORT US