Author Topic: family portrait questions  (Read 7658 times)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
family portrait questions
« on: October 09, 2012, 11:56:50 AM »
I have a family of nine, spanning in age from one to 60+, and they have hired me to take their photos at their home and/or at the beach and/or some other location of our choosing.  We're going back and forth on questions and dates and they've asked me my advice on color and clothing.

What are some good things to consider for this?  They will probably change into different outfits once so we have two sets of photos with different clothes.

TIA.

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
Re: family portrait questions
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 01:07:49 PM »
I am not a big fan of matchy clothing, but if they are suggest a color scheme, like tan/khaki pants and blue shirts, or everyone in blue jeans/blue pants and white shirts, etc.  I usually tell my clients that it isn't necessary to match, but it is necessary to not clash and to avoid the following:

1.  Colors should be similar and not opposites; i.e. if everyone is wearing something dark, then one person shouldn't wear white, or red, or some wild print.  They eye will naturally gravitate to that person and the rest of the photo will be ignored.

2.  No wild prints, stripes or lettering.  I tell my clients that the focus should be their faces, not their clothing.  The only exception is if the lettered clothing is meaningful to them in some way - like a football jersey or something like that.  But I also tell them to limit the number of photos taken with that clothing.  Also stress the no stripes as they can (most often do) create a moire effect and it is annoying as hell.  It can be corrected in photoshop, but it is a pita.

3.  In a large group, with a color scheme, some prints are fine, but they should be subtle so as not to attract the eye.  I tell them to opt for texture instead, if they can. 

So in general, I think like colored clothing (dark pants, or light pants but not a mix) works really well with a color scheme for the shirts (blues and greens, blacks and grays, browns and tans, etc.)

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
Thanks so much!  this is very helpful.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
This is helpful for me, too.  We're taking family pictures at the Arboretum tomorrow.   :d
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 08:04:34 PM »
This is helpful for me, too.  We're taking family pictures at the Arboretum tomorrow.   :d

I can't wait to see all of you in khakis and blue shirts.  :fingers:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 08:21:47 PM »
 :loveu:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 09:36:04 PM »
Gah!  I hope you don't think I like the khaki pants and blue shirts, I was just using it as an example of how keep everyone in a scheme.   :-[

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 10:07:20 PM »
Gah!  I hope you don't think I like the khaki pants and blue shirts, I was just using it as an example of how keep everyone in a scheme.   :-[

It'll be just like a 90s gap commercial!

:D

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 08:35:02 PM »

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 08:56:35 AM »
All righty now...where are our pictures, diablita?

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 01:52:21 PM »
demanding! :D

Photo shoot was actually yesterday, not Wed.  I mis-typed.  Laurie just msg'd me that she's going to put a few pics up on FB shortly, so I'll share a few.

The photo shoot was HILARIOUS b/c we went to the Arboretum, gorgeous spot to get flowers, grounds and early fall colors in and very popular place.  Yesterday evening EVERY photographer in town was there, so we all rotated through the favorite picture places.  "nope, that spot is busy; let's see if next fave spot is free and we'll come back to that one later"

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 03:09:26 PM »
a few pics up on my FB now.  I'll come back later and add them in here

Offline omega lambda

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 04:40:52 PM »
demanding! :D

Photo shoot was actually yesterday, not Wed.  I mis-typed.  Laurie just msg'd me that she's going to put a few pics up on FB shortly, so I'll share a few.

The photo shoot was HILARIOUS b/c we went to the Arboretum, gorgeous spot to get flowers, grounds and early fall colors in and very popular place.  Yesterday evening EVERY photographer in town was there, so we all rotated through the favorite picture places.  "nope, that spot is busy; let's see if next fave spot is free and we'll come back to that one later"

Ha!  That happens down at the beach a lot.  There are only a few beaches that are really pretty and rocky coastline in SoCal, and fewer still that don't require paid permits.  They tend to get a little crowded.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 05:02:32 PM »
Here are a few:

Offline Eco Ellen

• Administrator
  • Spaminator
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
:) Awesome.

Tomorrow afternoon I am doing a corporate head shot session.  I don't think we'll be doing anything fun - just make them look like they know what they're doing.  :)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »

Offline makeda

• Passed on to another Brane
  • piggery jokery
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
Love 'em!
"I'm judgy like a Sunday morning..." - tazawa

"Michelle Obama and her buttocks are waging war on the freedoms of our children" - Red Tornado

"Plenty of christ to go around here." - nneJ

+-SUPPORT US