Forum > Running

Jim Walmsley breaks 50 mile world record!

<< < (2/2)

Coyote Mas Loco:
I think the ultra runners get a ton more sponsorship money than traditional track and field distance/mid-d runners. The cream of the crop, Olympic medalists or podium winners at World Major Marathons (e.g., Desiree Linden and Jordan Hasay) can make big bucks (mid-6 to 7 figures a year), but those trying to break through (say mid-high 2:20s for women's marathon) just get a stipend and some travel money, and sometimes still need a part time job. 

Coyote Mas Loco:
I think Walmsley's 1:04 half marathon translates to about a 2:13:30 marathon, and the 50 mile time was only a 2:28. He's got a ways to go, but has a genius at being the focal point of discussion--as in here we are. Talking about Jim Walmsley.

If he continues his current training (mixing in ultra training and racing with the marathon) he's maybe good for 2:14-2:17 at OTs and top 10 finish. If he's really serious about the 2:11:30 and making the team he'd have to drop the other events and get his half time down to about 1:03:00, 10K to 28:30. Otherwise I think that established stars like Jared Ward and Scott Fauble (2:09 PRs and top 10 finishes at NYC and Boston in the past half year), and up and comers like Brogan Austin (2:12 and improving) are going to eat his lunch in Atlanta, not to mention the Kenyan ex pats now training in Colorado Springs with the WCAP. 

nadra's babydaddy:
Great analysis.  I was wondering how the hell he qualified in the first place, but I forgot about the 1:04.  I could see him performing better comparatively on a tougher course if conditions are bad, but yeah, definitely not at the same level as some of the aforementioned guys who've been laser focused on the marathon for some time, with sub 2:10s at Boston to prove it.  I think a highly plausible scenario is that he shoots out with the leaders before imploding around 17 and gamely shuffling home somewhere in the 2:30s.

A genius at being the focal point of discussion is a great way to put it.  He's either a love him or hate him kinda guy.  At first it seemed annoying, but he's hard not to root for with his persistence and especially now with the 100 mile results to back it up.  Almost seems like the Prefontaine of ultrarunning. 

Coyote Mas Loco:
I hope he does well, it's always fun to have a level of intrigue from a non-traditionalist. But I'll stick with a top 10, and very very very long shot at a podium and ticket Tokyo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version