Author Topic: The Running Bubble Has Burst  (Read 10907 times)

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
Re: The Running Bubble Has Burst
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2017, 09:06:54 PM »
Interesting article.  I blame Active (for everything in general that goes wrong). 

I've noticed the price jump too.  It seems like they're emphasizing moreso the overall experience than the actual running part, especially when you look at the expansion of gimmicks like color runs.  I feel like average times have dropped precipitously too.  In the late 90s, it wasn't unusual for me to drop a 20 minute 5k and be in the bottom half of the field.  Only the last few stragglers would be over 30 minutes.  Now I can do 30 minutes and be in the top half.  I mean if you have so many people who are willing to drop big bucks, not train, stop for selfies every mile and enjoy the hell out of it as long as the post race party is good, that's where you're going to invest. 

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2017, 09:16:51 PM »
Castille destroyed the masters field at the Tulsa 15 last month. He's super lean and slight and doesn't look older than an elite 35 year old runner. I give him the benefit of the doubt, and figure he'd probably been a 28 flat or so 10K runner at his peak. So what he's doing at 45 isn't too far off. But yeah, I gave Eddy the benefit of the doubt (maybe some more doubt) before he got busted.

Nice talking to you Wilson, and you are racing well.

No Fred, he's kicking ass, actualizing his potential.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:36:19 AM by Fred »

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 07:39:41 AM »
If the normal elites can dope and not get caught by testing, why give the 3.1 @ 4:33 get a pass? How often does he get tested by USADA?

https://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:41:34 AM by Fred »

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 09:46:31 AM »
Nice talking to you Wilson, and you are racing well.

No Fred, he's kicking ass, actualizing his potential.

Thanks, have had a good year and been able to put all the pieces together--consistency, nutrition, training system, and lifestyle (live high train low--and not 6 months of snow and ice on the ground). New AG next year and looking forward to that!

If the normal elites can dope and not get caught by testing, why give the 3.1 @ 4:33 get a pass? How often does he get tested by USADA?

https://www.usada.org/testing/results/athlete-test-history/

Looks like 2014 for T&F. I'd like to see more testing at the masters level at major races and championships.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 11:06:31 AM »
Thanks, have had a good year and been able to put all the pieces together--consistency, nutrition, training system, and lifestyle (live high train low--and not 6 months of snow and ice on the ground). New AG next year and looking forward to that!

Looks like 2014 for T&F. I'd like to see more testing at the masters level at major races and championships.

Yep, you turn 60, I turn 70 same month.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »
I feel like average times have dropped precipitously too.  In the late 90s, it wasn't unusual for me to drop a 20 minute 5k and be in the bottom half of the field.  Only the last few stragglers would be over 30 minutes.  Now I can do 30 minutes and be in the top half.  I mean if you have so many people who are willing to drop big bucks, not train, stop for selfies every mile and enjoy the hell out of it as long as the post race party is good, that's where you're going to invest. 

absolutely:  I was in my prime in the late eighties, but comparatively became better and better in races. I actually placed worse in 1989 than I do now, even though my times are increasing.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2017, 05:01:28 PM »
I can't run fast. There's no appeal to me at all in racing, but sometimes I'll do a 5k with my friends if it's got a good race party. The party is the only part that makes it worth doing for me -- it's not exactly enjoyable being passed by everyone, but if we can all hang out afterward at least it's a social event.

I'm basically the middle aged jogger lady you all mock at races. At least I don't do those ones where they throw paint and stuff at you.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2017, 09:25:54 PM »
I can't run fast. There's no appeal to me at all in racing, but sometimes I'll do a 5k with my friends if it's got a good race party. The party is the only part that makes it worth doing for me -- it's not exactly enjoyable being passed by everyone, but if we can all hang out afterward at least it's a social event.

I'm basically the middle aged jogger lady you all mock at races. At least I don't do those ones where they throw paint and stuff at you.

Road racing is pretty inclusive and has been even in the early days (Bay to Breakers, Bolder Boulder etc.), where you can have national class to world class runners line up with 10 min/mile joggers and walkers of all ages going half that fast. The issues are expensive entry fees ($50 for a 5K?), sometimes excessive bling (which is why race fees have gone up), and some races (mostly half and full marathons) selling out in hours or day, sometimes 6 months or more in advance. I have a couple other pet peeves but some things are sacred cows (urp Boston Marathon), but it's generally not the breadth and diversity of participants.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2017, 08:24:07 AM »
Road racing is pretty inclusive and has been even in the early days (Bay to Breakers, Bolder Boulder etc.), where you can have national class to world class runners line up with 10 min/mile joggers and walkers of all ages going half that fast. The issues are expensive entry fees ($50 for a 5K?), sometimes excessive bling (which is why race fees have gone up), and some races (mostly half and full marathons) selling out in hours or day, sometimes 6 months or more in advance. I have a couple other pet peeves but some things are sacred cows (urp Boston Marathon), but it's generally not the breadth and diversity of participants.

absolutely. I used to race frequently, when prices were reasonable.  Now, forget it.  But I also think that new runners ( 5 years or fewer) are more likely to race a lot.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2017, 09:02:22 AM »
I don't really want any of the stuff they give out at races, including the shirts. Just donate the money instead of buying everyone goodie bags.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2017, 09:09:45 AM »
Yes, I agree. Did USATF State XC yesterday and the entry was only $10, no shirts and stuff; the excess proceeds went to pay a stipend to the young volunteer asst. at the host high school.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2017, 09:23:49 AM »
totally agree.  Though I generally prefer to decide where my charitable $$ go so: cheap entry fee > avg entry fee @ today's rates w/ the option to forego shirt > expensive race and shirt I'll inevitably toss

One of the local running stores runs a $5 race series (on a weeknight) in the summertime.  I haven't participated (b/c the location isn't convenient to get to after work) but I love the idea.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline SnarlyMarly

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2017, 03:49:18 PM »
I get “that’s a lot of money to torture yourself”.   I am not sure if I can disagree with that comment.

You know it’s bad when you start buying insurance for your races.   And now there is installment plans😜

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2017, 04:03:31 PM »
MEC does the no frills series around here.  they're awesome.  if you sign up for them all it's something like $10 a race. 

and really nice to see you Fred.  We went on a holiday to Pelee Island last summer and I thought of you!   DH even bought me a birding book.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2017, 05:03:17 PM »
Exactly, I don't like/want the shirts (I'm picky about my workout gear and don't really care to advertise where I've run) or the metals. If it's more than a 10k, I'm heading straight for a nap anyway-- not into the after party. If anything, I like to just show up for the cause or sometime it's fun to run a race I know a lot of people running. It's a good benchmark if I'm running a lot.

Of course, I ran about 6 halfs in 2013 and have not run one since march of 2015. So, there you go. :PI keep saying I'm going to do another but right now I do the occasional 3-5 miles and call it good.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2017, 01:53:28 PM »
You won the race overall beating any and all males?

Not this race, but I’ve done that more than once, so don’t sound so shocked.  ;).  I lost to one male.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2017, 08:13:17 PM »
I ran in a race in which the winner, Joe LeMay had placed second in the 10,000 at the Olympic trials (he didn't have the A standard, however).  A few years later I ran in the same race and the first person across the finish line was a high school girl.  The depth at the front has pretty much disappeared.

Offline Fred

• Turgid
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2017, 08:45:08 PM »
Not this race, but I’ve done that more than once, so don’t sound so shocked.  ;).  I lost to one male.

I'm not shocked. Congrats to you.

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2017, 08:46:46 PM »
I'm not shocked. Congrats to you.

It was a small race with three distances. I actually thought more people would do the 10-miler. I wish we’d have had that weather for today’s race.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2017, 07:38:19 PM »
... And yet, somehow, The Evil Rock & Roll Backwards Hosewater Slave Labor Marathon Empire continues to cash in

http://www.runrocknroll.com/virtual-run/

$30 per [includes a RnR medal], plus a bonus snow globe if you register for all three at once for $99.99

:skep:  :nono:

+-SUPPORT US