Author Topic: Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here  (Read 18575 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Delicious Dinner Recipes Go Here
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
My DH is really, really, really stubborn about this kind of thing.  I'm humoring him for this one more thing...though the part didn't arrive yesterday and he goes out of town for the weekend tomorrow. :(

I hope he appreciates you! I'm reaaalllly missing my oven. But I'm totally tapped out right now. It's all I can do to get the tree/rat thing resolved. I'm home until Sunday and then 8 days in Chicago.

But, I really wish I had an oven right now.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2017, 08:03:59 PM »
Sorry RA.  Lately, not sure he appreciates me all that much tbh.  It's ok, he's just overworked and there's a lot going on.  But the part did come tonight (spark module) and that was the one we think.  Oven seems to be lighting reliably.  I'll plan to bake something over the weekend that could go in the toaster if needed (like veggies) and we'll see.   :fingers: :fingers:
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2017, 09:07:49 PM »
I had 2 cute little honeynut squashes waiting to be cooked so I took the plunge and turned on the oven.  It lit and ran for the 20+ minutes I needed to cook them.  And they were delicious.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2017, 09:11:45 PM »
Oooh! Yay! That sounds super yummy.

I'm looking forward to the time when cooking meals feels feasible again. It's 6:11 and I'm still working. Heading to the gym in 30 minutes and then dinner just for me. So will probably go to a neighborhood place on my way home from the gym for a bowl of soup. No! Wait! I have some curry lentil soup leftover from last week. Yeeessss.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2017, 09:27:31 PM »
win!!

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #45 on: October 13, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »
I get it. We have ordered parts and repaired our 5 year old fridge like 6 times. I keep hoping my stove will die because I hate it and want a new one.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2017, 03:52:18 PM »
I get it. We have ordered parts and repaired our 5 year old fridge like 6 times. I keep hoping my stove will die because I hate it and want a new one.

sounds like you love the fridge, though.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2017, 03:02:08 PM »
sounds like you love the fridge, though.

I can't see replacing an expensive fridge after so little time. We keep fixing it ourseves.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #48 on: November 11, 2017, 10:36:08 PM »
Southern Maryland stuffed ham.  The folklore is that this recipe originated with slaves who worked the local plantations.  Full disclosure, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm planning on serving it for the holidays. 

Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham

Offline harmony

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2017, 12:18:53 PM »
This was delicious:

http://pressureluckcooking.com/recipe/instant-pot-cranberry-balsamic-brussels-sprouts/ and would probably be a great Thanksgiving dish.  I made it with this:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/189966/balsamic-baked-tilapia/?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=tilapia&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Recipe  and just put the tilapia on top of the sprouts in big bowls.  Fabulous and ridiculously easy.  I did the fish in my cast iron skillet, so one pan in all for that.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2017, 10:37:05 PM »
Pear Hazelnut Gnocchi with Greens: http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/RecipeController?language=EN&recipeType=1&action=recipe&recipeID=7187

some notes:
I made about 1/2 c. of pear paste (pear butter) from 6 ripe pears and 2/3 can of hard pear cider, just cooked it down to a paste, mashing in the pan when the pears softened enough... time consuming but simple... but time consuming, so worth buying pear paste or pear butter if you can.

I'd never made gnocchi before so I carefully followed the Serious Eats instructions but using 2 lbs (fresh weight) of potato for one egg yolk: http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/03/how-to-make-light-tender-potato-gnocchi.html and was very pleased with the results.

Also, I've gone off pinot grigio lately but have been into dry rieslings, so I used riesling.

The dish was way fantastically delicious... but took all afternoon to make...
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:54:06 AM by caribougrrl »

Offline moroccangirl

• The Runners
  • Token Hijabi
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2018, 07:48:53 AM »
This was delicious.  I've been on an Instant Pot kick and DH loves Indian food....he found this recipe.

http://www.carveyourcraving.com/instant-pot-spinach-chana-masala-vegan-gluten-free/ 

I only had canned chickpeas, and couldn't find Chana masala anywhere.  Google told me gharam masala plus a little lemon juice is a good substitute....I forgot the lemon juice, but the gharam masala worked.

I doubled it, other than that the pot settings were the same despite the canned beans.  Served over brown basmati rice, it was really good.

I made this last night and I didn’t like it. DH liked it. I thought I would love it because I will eat chickpeas straight out of the jar. I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned sauce so maybe that was it.
"Leave your butthole hair alone, ladies" Fionn mac Cumhail 3/19/09

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
Here's the butter chicken recipe I used last night.  Both Instant Pot and stovetop procedures are provided, but when I make this again, I'll use the stovetop method.  This was amazingly good.

Doc B's butter chicken.

Here's the original article by Sam Sifton in the NYT: Indian Butter Chicken, by Way of Australia

#notallprogressives

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2018, 06:25:14 AM »
My Cioppino rocked.  Actually, it was Giada's, but oh well.  Anyway, quite easy.  I used cod, tuna and mussels.  I also used serrano pepper flakes (some heritage spice club I got for Christmas).  It makes a ton so we will be eating it for the next 2 days.   :)
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/cioppino-recipe-1916710
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2018, 09:30:57 AM »
Wow that sounds fabulous Jan!  I don't believe I've ever had cioppino

Offline Rejaneration

• The Arbiter of Cool
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 06:26:35 AM »
Wow that sounds fabulous Jan!  I don't believe I've ever had cioppino
Basically, it's the Italian version of Bouillabaisse (and a lot easier to spell).  If you do have it, a tempranillo is the perfect red for it.
When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. -Maya Angelou

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only one page."  St. Augustine

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2018, 08:21:20 PM »
https://diethood.com/pan-seared-salmon/

I used heavy cream opposed to evaporated milk and served with zucchini noodles. Holy shit good!

Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
yum!  Do you think it would work with coconut milk?

Offline cherietree

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
  • What we think, we become
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
yum!  Do you think it would work with coconut milk?

Yes, I do. I might try that next time!
Happiness never decreases by being shared.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
The tofu recipe in this article caught my eye on Instagram and cooking it in 30 minutes seemed like an interesting challenge. We've now made all three of the recipes and they're all really good. The tofu & salmon recipes are really stand outs even if labeling them 30 minute meals was overly ambitious.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/27/yotam-ottolenghi-30-minute-recipes-beans-leeks-eggs-fried-tofu-salmon-potato-bake

+-SUPPORT US