Author Topic: are there any runners here?  (Read 14040 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: are there any runners here?
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2017, 06:25:23 PM »
I've been doing lots of strength training and flexibility was never an issue. Too much stretching of the bum hamstring really aggravates it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nadra's babydaddy

• The Runners
  • Official CH Trainwreck Historian
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2017, 06:27:46 PM »
debatable.  It's been awhile since I had any consistency, but I'm hoping this latest move will help, now that I'm closer to local clubs and awesome trails.  Now that I'm working at the high school level again, I might start inviting myself to practice too  :runner:

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2017, 06:34:41 PM »
I only run during crossfit wods now.  With the fall coming I may hit the trails again.  We'll see.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2017, 06:36:15 PM »
I've been doing lots of strength training and flexibility was never an issue. Too much stretching of the bum hamstring really aggravates it.

Are you sure it's not a spinal thing?

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2017, 06:37:54 PM »
Are you sure it's not a spinal thing?

Why would my spine make my hamstring hurt? I was in yoga class doing this pose when I felt a snap in the hamstring of my support leg.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
Why would my spine make my hamstring hurt? I was in yoga class doing this pose when I felt a snap in the hamstring of my support leg.

I have issues with my hamstring, and I think it's related to a slipped disk, but that's self-diagnosed. And no snap, so probably a different issue.

Offline JBM

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2017, 07:04:12 PM »
I am running 3-4 days a week. I try to ale one of those a trail run if I can. I gave up road marathons for trail marathons. Way more fun.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

I'm talking replacing running with heavy strength training like I did.

Then playing your abs like xylophones

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Offline El Chupacabra

• Incredibly Obsessive Poster
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 07:17:57 PM »
I just got back from doing a trail run. I'm fortunate to have the ocean and a good park with miles of trails. I ride my bike along the ocean to the trail, run the trail and then ride back. Every other day right now. About 4 miles running, 7 miles biking Mon, Wed, Fri and 8 miles and 7 miles biking on Saturday. I have a vibrating plate that I stand on, rotate my hips and do knee bends and pushups on for about 10 minutes ever day right after I get out of bed and then maybe a day a week I'll do some weight lifting. That's abou it right now.

Offline Beer Gut

• Help me, I'm melting....
  • Reduce; Re-use; Recycle
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2017, 07:24:00 PM »

I figured this would be in Running by now.
I could be completely wrong about this.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39:16 PM »
I took my first extended break from running in 30 years, due to a broken ankle (summer) and back injury (spring).  The longest I have ever taken off in those 30 years was 6 weeks, for a broken big toe.  I was running 40-45 miles per week before that and walking an additional 10-15 per week.

Offline pfunksbn

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
I've been an on and off r*nner, although now it's more like middle aged recreational jogging. I tend to suffer frequent stupid injuries that interfere with running regularly. I'm just getting back in the saddle after several weeks of rest.

Lil' Pfunksbn is doing x-country this fall. First time runner 4 life!  :heartbeat:

Puppet-free since 09/21/05.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2017, 08:13:46 PM »
I have issues with my hamstring, and I think it's related to a slipped disk, but that's self-diagnosed. And no snap, so probably a different issue.

Lots of interconnecting muscles and tissues in the lower back, hips and hamstrings so once one thing is injured, everything else seems to go to hell too.

Offline Mom of Scooby

• The Runners
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2017, 08:35:08 PM »
Hoping too if I ever rehab from surgery.. although the dr said it won't be able to be like before...oh well.. time to try other things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2017, 11:37:45 PM »
I'm around 30 miles per week with 10 of those on Sundays.  Just LSD, no speed work.  I haven't fully recovered since the news about dad bods being sexy made the rounds.

Offline Noley

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2017, 01:36:13 AM »
I wish I could run like I used to.   :(

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2017, 05:51:53 AM »
Mfy-- are you in bogota? The altitude killed me.

My body doesn't seem.built for running so I mostly crossfit. I run 10 miles on a big week .

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2017, 06:34:13 AM »
Hoping too if I ever rehab from surgery.. although the dr said it won't be able to be like before...oh well.. time to try other things

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Being slower than you used to can still give the same satisfaction. Also, shorter distance can still be quite pleasurable.  I doubt that I will get back to the mileage and speed I had before my ankle injury.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2017, 06:40:02 AM »
I've never been a runner, I suck at it. I proudly jog 3-4 times a week and bring up the rear at a few 5ks a year.

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2017, 07:19:48 AM »
I figured this would be in Running by now.

You just had to say it, didn't you?!?!   ;) :sidesplit:

I'm forcing myself to take a rest day today.  I've run a minimum of 3 miles a day (with the longest being just 7 mi) for the past consecutive 12 days.  Its not a lot compared to some people but I'll admit I'm feeling it.   I've always had issues with taking rest days.  I guess I think that if I take one day off, it will instantly turn into several days off.  Then weeks off, etc.   Inertia and all that. 

But I'm a little achy so I'm resting today I guess.
chqm8= 'checkmate'

+-SUPPORT US