Author Topic: are there any runners here?  (Read 14037 times)

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
are there any runners here?
« on: August 25, 2017, 03:05:56 PM »
this is a small base, all we have been running here are 5ks. the colombians are stepping up the game and now sunday will be a 10k. probably on a 5k loop.

so should i go from running a 5k weekly long run to 10k? i've already run 6.2 miles so far this week.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline Ileneforward

• The Runners
Re: are there any runners here?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2017, 04:38:49 PM »
Shhhhhhh, keep your voice down!  I run every day..and I think stepping up to a 10k long run for you is awesome!   I am training for a marathon and am starting my monster month now..going from 40 miles a week to 55.
@artbydmcbride

Offline morefoolyou

• The Runners
  • now i'm trying to get back
    • redShirt Union
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017, 04:41:35 PM »
ssshhhhh, there's some rule about 10-20% increases per week.
this is kinda like a 100% increase.

enjoy the marathon. as the penguin said, it is the perfect distance for big truths.
The scientific consensus might, of course, be wrong. If the history of science teaches anything, it is humility. But our grandchildren will surely blame us if they find that we understood the reality of climate change and failed to do anything about it.

Offline Kumbaya

• The Runners
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 04:43:46 PM »
What is this you are speaking of?  Most of these people stopped running before Obama took office.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

• I really have a life. It's around here someplace....
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2017, 04:52:37 PM »
I am running about 66 miles this week. I'm really freaking old but still manage sub 1:20 half marathon and under 36 for the 10K this summer. I tend to suck at 5K and under and my marathon ability is no great shakes. I like long tempo runs driving our cat crazy, sort of miss having dogs around the house, and enjoy walks in the park--especially when we get to see bison, deer, or elk. But the coolest thing was seeing a bobcat last winter. That's my life and interests in a nutshell. 
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline glwestcott

• I Can't now, I'm Busy Posting
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 05:00:49 PM »
At 70, I'm still running 10 to 15 miles a week, but no races. Just do it because it keeps me able to be active and able to do what I want. Who knows how many more years I can keep it up but doing that and alternating with gym days for weight machines keeps me going for now.  I know there are many here running more than I am, but then competition isn't the point for me anymore.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 05:03:11 PM »
I injured my hamstring last year and running just hasn't been the same. I still get out there and slog for a few miles here and there with discomfort, but I don't know that I'll ever train and race again - I have mixed feelings about this.

Offline crazypants

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:11:41 PM »
I'm down to 2 days per week running at 7-9k per run but am lifting a lot more and that's taking up all my energy.

I did get a new SRM for deadlifts and have been doing more in double farmer carries which is so much fun

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 05:14:32 PM by crazypants »

Offline 70.3

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 05:25:01 PM »
Running? Ew. No.

Had to give it up last year because of arthritis in my footsies so now I just walk and enjoy being fat (frankly Im in lazy mode. There is no reason I cant ride my bike or swim..lazeeeeee.)
Life is not a dress rehearsal (Magic Hat #9 beer cap)

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 05:31:11 PM »
of course.
but rowing is priority right now.

Offline Coyote Mas Loco

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 05:36:29 PM »
I injured my hamstring last year and running just hasn't been the same. I still get out there and slog for a few miles here and there with discomfort, but I don't know that I'll ever train and race again - I have mixed feelings about this.

You're just a kid. Much to young to throw in the towel. Get rehab.
I'll stick to running, thank you.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
You're just a kid. Much to young to throw in the towel. Get rehab.

I did and no change. It starts to hurt when I exceed five miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ctjim

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2017, 05:56:32 PM »
Sure. 20mpw or so

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
I tore something in my knee last December; and haven't run since.  So right now, I support my knee and either row or ride on a stationary bike.  In September, I'm, going to make an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon for options.  Even if I have surgery, I won't run again.  I had knee surgery 45 years ago and would prefer now to  compete online with my rowing machine. 

Offline Xavier Dan Q

• mild mannered smartass
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2017, 06:08:28 PM »
I am 60 and I still run. About 18 miles a week but then again I walk approximately 15 miles on my work days.
I don't race as often, however and gave up marathons about 7 years ago.

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »
I stopped running a few weeks ago, and will pick it up again in September. It feels good to take a break once in a while.

Offline Richard21142

• The Runners
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 06:10:51 PM »

I tore my hamstring pretty badly doing sprints (I was a sprinter back then).  Fast forward 16 years and after running a marathon, I tore some of the scar tissue.  I went to an orthopedic surgeon and he was pretty impressed with the scar tissue (while looking at the x-rays).  His advice, which was pretty successful, was to do a lot of stretching to improve flexibility.  I also iced my hamstring and had my wife do a very deep massage to break up some of the scar tissue.  A few year later, I was again having a problem with my hamstring and it went away when I started using "The Stick".

I also did some hamstring curls with weights to improve overall strength.  I didn't use heavy weights but lighter weights with higher reps; light enough so I could lift daily.  A physical therapist measured the strength of my hamstrings through it's range of motion; both before I started lifting and after lifting for a month.  Even though the weight lifted wasn't that heavy, there was a significant increase in strength.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:47:15 PM by Richard21142 »

Offline chqm8

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
Almost 51 yrs old here.

I've been averaging between 20-30 miles a week so far this year.  To answer your question about increasing your mileage:  don't 'they' say that you shouldn't increase more than 10% a week?  Or something like that?  lol.  I'm no expert.  Clearly.

I dont 'race' but I will occassionally sign up for races just to get a new shirt or beer glass.  I've never been competitive.  I just want to burn calories and possibly live longer than I might if I were otherwise sedentary 24-7.   
chqm8= 'checkmate'

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 06:14:24 PM »
Good to know Richard.  i'm glad that treatment plan worked for you.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline crazypants

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2017, 06:17:38 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See you on the deadlifts matt and squat rack

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

+-SUPPORT US