Author Topic: Homemade Condiments  (Read 8264 times)

Offline diablita

• The Runners
Homemade Condiments
« on: March 31, 2017, 02:23:47 PM »
I needed mayo for tuna so whipped up a batch.  I always make my own mayo now: so much tastier, healthier and it's uber easy.  I make this one:
http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

What condiments do you make at home?  I'd love to try my hand at hot sauce one of these days.
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
Re: Homemade Condiments
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:45:06 PM »
I've made mayo (regular and sriracha) and aioli, and I have done hot sauce a few times (I got a good recipe for that from GirlWonder years and years ago). I was going to make my own thousand island dressing for reubens the other day, but then I got lazy and just bought some. I make hummus, but that's not really a condiment, is it?

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
I love that mayo recipe, diablita. Found it after a couple of failures making mayo the traditional way. 

We make chimichurri fairly often. Yum.

I need to start making pesto.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 10:46:14 AM »
Oh, yeah, I make pesto in the summer when I have an abundance of basil. Yum!

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 03:51:42 PM »
This thread needs more recipe links  ;)

I LOVE pesto.  It's a trigger food for me.  I can't make or buy it b/c I only use a small amount in a recipe but then eat the rest with anything I can find dunked into it.  Including fingers.  And it's a billion calories and fat grams so eating a whole container negates the healthfulness.  I found this recipe not too long ago and I love it: it cures my pesto craving but I'm not tempted to eat it plain.  I generally only use a bit in the actual recipe so I use the leftovers on fish:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipe/257004/zucchini-noodles-with-avocado-pesto-shrimp/
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
I make my own wasabi mayo.  The mayo part is dead simple with a stick blender (see dev's recipe).  The wasabi part is even simpler.  https://www.thespicehouse.com/namida-pure-wasabi-powder 

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 05:46:58 PM »
Dev, that looks awesome thanks for sharing!

Offline teetime

• The Runners
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »
I make a lot of condiments/dips in the blender or food processor but they aren't usually an actual recipe or something that has a name. I call the smoked pepper and almond dip we make harrisa but it's probably nothing like harrisa (the almonds make it pretty rich but it's otherwise mostly peppers, sweet and spicy, from the smoker).

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
I make my own wasabi mayo.  The mayo part is dead simple with a stick blender (see dev's recipe).  The wasabi part is even simpler.  https://www.thespicehouse.com/namida-pure-wasabi-powder 

excellent!  I'm going to pick some up.  I assume this is like Penzey's; anything else on their site I really need to buy?

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 07:43:29 AM »
excellent!  I'm going to pick some up.  I assume this is like Penzey's; anything else on their site I really need to buy?

real wasabi is very expensive.  Looks like it may be the real thing, but I would think the substitute that is usually sold works well, too. 

siamesedream

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 01:42:10 PM »
I've been eating Lea and Perrins for a long time, but I just found out recently that anchovies is one of the ingredients.

Vomit symbol.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2017, 01:48:11 PM »
I've been eating Lea and Perrins for a long time, but I just found out recently that anchovies is one of the ingredients.

Vomit symbol.

If you like it and are not a veg, why worry about something you can't taste? Anchovies are used to bring a hint of umami/rich savory flavor to a lot of things. There are worcestershire sauces out there that do not have anchovies though and you probably won't be able to tell the difference from your old standby.

Offline rocketgirl

• The Runners
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
I don't make my own condiments unless you count mixing storebought pesto with storebought mayo.

I have needed dijon mustard before and have used yellow mustard with a bit of mayo and white wine and that was close enough.
Ellen stole my joy and I want it back!

siamesedream

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2017, 02:19:48 PM »
If you like it and are not a veg, why worry about something you can't taste? Anchovies are used to bring a hint of umami/rich savory flavor to a lot of things. There are worcestershire sauces out there that do not have anchovies though and you probably won't be able to tell the difference from your old standby.

IKR? It's not rational.

Unfortunately, I can't eat it now. I used to like it on burgers. I don't eat steak sauce on steak because I feel steak sauce hides, rather than enhances, the flavor of a good piece of red meat.

I could look for the non-anchovie type sauce.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2017, 04:31:27 PM »

Very similar to Penzy's.  In fact Spice House was founded by Bill Penzy's daughter.  I'm a fairly new customer and haven't used them much yet.  So far, I've tried Jamaican Jerk Seasoning, Aleppo Pepper, Milwaukee Ave Steak Seasoning, and Bavarian Seasoning.  All good. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2017, 09:17:57 PM »
Thanks.  Aleppo pepper sounds great.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 06:44:03 PM »
i make mayonnaise, pesto/pistou/chimichurri, salad dressing, nuoc cham, tuong dau phong, and mustard.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2017, 06:48:04 PM by witchypoo »

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 07:35:56 AM »
i make mayonnaise, pesto/pistou/chimichurri, salad dressing, nuoc cham, tuong dau phong, and mustard.
what's your nuoc cham recipe?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 11:47:16 AM »
I'm curious if you guys are just making these things as part of a recipe or like mayo for every day use? I will make mayo from scratch if it's part of a recipe and you can taste it. But I don't make it just to keep in the fridge for daily use.

I also usually make dressing as part of a salad recipe-- but I don't make big batches for storage. Same with things like pesto, hummus, dipping sauces, etc. I make all those things from scratch*.

Although some of this stuff is hardly scratch. I mean-- when I make peanut sauce it is 90% mixing other prepared ingredients and then I add fresh garlic, ginger, & lime. When I make hummus, I usually am making it from canned beans. 

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 10:54:31 PM »
Yes, the mayo is just to have now.  I often hit the 12:30 class at the box and will grab a quick lunch at home afterward before heading back to work.  Often I mix tuna w/ avocado (I try to have some on hand in the fridge which is where avocado magic happens) and a small amount of homemade mayo.  Or I'll make egg salad.  Or cole slaw mixing just a bit in with cabbage and lime juice.  Or it may be required in a recipe.  It's not a huge yield but it seems to get at least mostly used.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 11:06:28 PM »
Yeah, I make it if I know I will be making egg salad or chicken salad or tuna salad and only if I don't have a jar in the fridge. I got hooked on avocado oil mayo but sometimes I'm out of the jarred kind so I make it at home with avocado or some other neutral non-canola oil.

Chimichurri is when we smoke a tri-tip but we make a LOT and I wind up putting it on everything because it's so damn good.

Offline witchypoo

• The Runners
  • benign librarian overlord
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 02:40:30 PM »
what's your nuoc cham recipe?

all to taste :

minced garlic
minced thai chili
hot water
granulated sugar
lime juice
fish sauce

Offline Natasha

• The Runners
    • Pisces Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 06:27:24 PM »

Vomit symbol.

Hope you're not into caesar salads.

I love anchovies.  :heartbeat:

Offline JBM

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 09:41:11 AM »

I liked caesar salad until I learned what was in the dressing. I might be willing to eat the salad now these days, but definitely a no on the anchovies on the salad.

siamesedream

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2017, 01:35:53 PM »

I like French, tangy tomato, and balsamic dressing on a salad. I hate ranch and blue cheese. I do like blue cheese crumbled on a burger though.

Offline caribougrrl

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
I like French, tangy tomato, and balsamic dressing on a salad. I hate ranch and blue cheese. I do like blue cheese crumbled on a burger though.

I do not understand cheese on burgers, much less blue cheese on a burger.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 08:48:38 AM »

I do not understand this sentiment :d

siamesedream

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 04:01:45 PM »

It's really good, I'll eat a burger sans cheese, but cheese makes a burger sparkle.

And they have to be medium-rare, don't overcook 'em.

+-SUPPORT US