Author Topic: Good vegetable recipes  (Read 60011 times)

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Re: Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2017, 02:25:45 PM »

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2017, 02:26:39 PM »
Beano works, guys! The only side effect is that it's a little pricey.

So does a probiotic, but I generally forget to take one.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2017, 02:28:45 PM »
Having tested that theory, no, it doesn't get better.  :nono: I like beans quite a bit, but I do have to limit my intake because of the bloated gassy stuff that results.

Same here.  I think there is a lot of individual body chemistry involved.  I don't digest legumes very well.  Never have, I just sucked it up for most of my life.  But now I generally avoid foods that my system obviously doesn't process very well.  Even peanut butter gives me heartburn anymore (which is a tragedy of epic proportions :()

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2017, 02:31:07 PM »
A lot of cultures outside of the US/North America eat a lot of fermented foods and macrobiotics (roots in Japan and China), when i was doing it is very big into fermented foods. I totally believe it!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
  • Californiaing Arizona since 2018
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
So does a probiotic, but I generally forget to take one.

I have taken a daily probiotic for years. It has been a lifesaver but cannot combat beans (unfortunately lentils are 10,000X worse than beans).

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
Oh! Roasted cabbage is really good too! I like to slice it into a big round, spray with a little oil, salt it and a little smoked paprika and roast it. YUM!

I love cabbage. The husband despises it.  :( My gut thinks its ok in moderation.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2017, 03:00:12 PM »
Oh and someone asked what my normal diet is.

Our regular dinner foods include:
Tomato and roasted red pepper soup and grilled cheese (I need to give up the tomato soup though)
Tacos...I cut up a ton of onion and bell pepper and cook it with the meat and then my husband has tacos with it and I make a taco salad for myself
Boneless skinless chicken breasts or pork chops with brown rice and a veggie (generally steamed broccoli, green beans sautéed with onion, or roasted zucchini)
Potato leek soup
Salad (green with chicken or Cesar)
Omelets with veggie filling
Pasta with lots of sautéed veggies in the sauce (Not often because I don't like it much)
Garden burgers

See why I am bored?

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2017, 05:17:17 PM »
MM did any of the recipes that got posted appeal to you at all? Maybe a subscription to a food magazine or browsing recipe websites would help? I sometimes find inspiration there.

Offline Magic Microbe

• The Runners
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2017, 06:06:06 PM »
MM did any of the recipes that got posted appeal to you at all? Maybe a subscription to a food magazine or browsing recipe websites would help? I sometimes find inspiration there.

There were only 1 or 2 things posted that my hubby is even close to willing to eat and one was roasted broccoli that we already eat. I looked at most of the links and found very little that was something I am able to eat, he will eat, is different than we already make and actually sounds good. I feel like there is just not much creativity in the vegetable side dish space out there aside from just going ethnic (thai or indian). I used to be fine on my own but I still wasn't super creative but refusing to eat 70% of the veggies out there (hubby) makes it a lot harder and I am not making us 2 separate meals (plus he needs the healthy eating more than I do). Maybe I just need to peruse books. I wish there were still book stores around.

Plus I fucking hate not being able to eat everything anymore. Life was so much easier before I was trying to eat around my own allergies, sensitivities, and fucking GERD that wont go away.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2017, 06:16:08 PM »
Lots of creative veggie side dishes out there but between what HE likes and YOU like, and your flavor preferences, and what you can and cannot eat, seems that it is very limiting.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
Good vegetable recipes
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2017, 06:45:52 PM »
Make what you want and like MM, if he won't eat it, too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 08:57:28 PM by Chasing Amy »

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2017, 07:05:31 PM »
Make you want and like MM, if he won't eat it, too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
absolutely! And cauliflower is probably the most versatile of all the vegetables.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Do you guys eat salads? always a good way to get a ton of veggies! Spinach, baby kale, spring mix, carrots, cukes, roasted red peppers, tomatoes, etc. I like to put sunflower seeds on mine. And my favorite AVOCADOS!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2017, 08:38:21 PM »
This is one of DD's favorites on top of spaghetti squash http://ohsheglows.com/2011/01/31/15-minute-creamy-avocado-pasta/

Do you like winter squashes? I cannot get enough of them! I Have lots of butternut squash recipes.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2017, 08:46:00 PM »
Make you want and like MM, if he won't eat it, too bad.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #75 on: January 10, 2017, 08:58:38 PM »
Something like this can be a great way to use cabbage. You can try it with romaine first and then if you like the flavors try subbing some/all of the lettuce for savvoy cabbage (which is more tender than green cabbage). I would sub coconut aminos for the fish sauce.

http://theurbanposer.com/vietnamese-chicken-salad/

She has a lot of other good veggie recipes. Nomato sauce: http://theurbanposer.com/tomato-less-marinara/

If you don't try and convince yourself this is rice I think it's good. Even BF (who hates cauliflower) will eat it: http://theurbanposer.com/vietnamese-cauli-fried-rice-wnuoc-cha/

Offline redkitty

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #76 on: January 10, 2017, 09:53:14 PM »
MM---This is going to sound WAY out there, but look up symptoms for pinworms and see if you have ANY of the symptoms listed. We just treated pinworms in this house (twice now) and I swear it made a lot of my GI issues go away. In theory, GI issues are not actually a side effect of having pinworms...but my chronic diarrhea went away after the first dose and then started to come back, so took a 2nd dose last night (they recommend dosing once and then again 2-3 weeks later.) So far the diarrhea is gone. My DH thought his itchy bum was hemorrhoids, nope...pinworms.

Have you looked up diet for IBS? I have found that kind of following those it can help with other symptoms like really bad gas. For instance, I cannot eat romaine lettuce. I can eat maybe a small side salad...maybe. Other lettuces don't cause issues. For me, beans don't cause any problems, so I am lucky there. Lots of fruit cause issues (I think it is the fructose, but surprisingly Pepsi doesn't cause problems...though I don't drink it often.) Fruit also causes my GERD to act up...sugar in general does.

If you like barley, the barely association (for real, though association might not be the right word) has a website with some good recipes. A lot of the recipes involve lots of veggies. I would think you could substitute rice, bulgar if you don't want barley.

Meri---can you post some of your bean recipes? I want to eat more beans...but I would like to avoid indian, I don't like indian. I also hate black beans, but can eat just about any other (at least of the ones I have eaten.)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #77 on: January 10, 2017, 11:26:06 PM »
I was also wondering about whether you picked up a parasite in 2010 and it just never was treated properly?

Offline merigayle

• The Runners

+-SUPPORT US