Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222596 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #760 on: August 18, 2019, 12:47:05 PM »
Also,  if you search the food forum we've discussed cabbage a lot. Might give you some ideas. Here's one thread but there are several.

http://chrunners.net/forum/index.php?topic=121421.0;all

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #761 on: August 18, 2019, 12:48:10 PM »
Apparently I dig the cabbage talk!

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #762 on: August 18, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »
Oh, thank you!  Anything with cloves is awesome... I'll get to the food forum!  And stirfry with cabbage is a great idea.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #763 on: August 18, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
RioG that's so interesting.  I haven't made the cabbage recipe in a long time but I don't remember it being bland -- and it calls for so many spices that aren't bland.  I feel like I need to make it again soon to remember.  I do recall it needing to be paired with something else very flavorful.  I think I used vegan sausage maybe?
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #764 on: August 18, 2019, 03:50:11 PM »
I do not remember it being bland, either and I may have been the first to post it. It is the one with coconut, right?
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #765 on: August 18, 2019, 07:00:18 PM »
I made it & liked it. Although I don't remember it being a stand-alone kind of dish. But it's been a while since I made it.

I love roasted cabbage and this looks like a "next level" roasted cabbage recipe-- it'd be on my list if I had a bunch of cabbage on my hands https://www.everopensauce.com/roast-cabbage-with-tarragon-and-pecorino/

Offline diablita

• The Runners
« Reply #766 on: August 18, 2019, 07:23:51 PM »
wow that sounds fabulous
"Some things you just need to do for yourself, even if it means nicking your nads."  --nneJ

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #767 on: August 18, 2019, 08:02:59 PM »
Oh, I’d eat that!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #768 on: August 19, 2019, 07:36:08 AM »
The cabbage dish they posted about upthread.

I made it this morning.  Not the deliciousness I was hoping for!  It's pretty bland and I even put the hot pepper in.  Not sure what I was expecting but I'll have to find another recipe for the rest of my cabbage.  I followed the recipe exactly.

I feel like there must be some kind of thai recipe for cabbage.  Something spicy sweet.  Or peanutty.

indonesian gado-gado... spicy and peanutty

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #769 on: August 19, 2019, 07:52:57 AM »
Roasted cabbage sprinkled with salt, smoked paprika = awesome.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #770 on: August 19, 2019, 08:21:32 PM »
Roasted cabbage sprinkled with salt, smoked paprika = awesome.

This was such a disappointment when I made it. It's one of the few things I made that we ever threw out.

Cabbage is cabbage.  If you don't like it, it's going to be difficult to make something good out of it.  I don't even buy cabbage anymore.

Offline RioG

• The Runners
« Reply #771 on: August 19, 2019, 08:36:04 PM »
This was such a disappointment when I made it. It's one of the few things I made that we ever threw out.

Cabbage is cabbage.  If you don't like it, it's going to be difficult to make something good out of it.  I don't even buy cabbage anymore.
I love Cole slaw, I do like cabbage.  But one can only eat so much slaw!

Thanks Cgrl!

Offline caribougrrl

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #772 on: August 20, 2019, 07:49:31 AM »
I love Cole slaw, I do like cabbage.  But one can only eat so much slaw!

Thanks Cgrl!

also, in Newfoundland, chop suey uses cabbage instead of noodles (historic difficulties in getting noodles reliably, so the chinese restaurants just  shredded cabbage)... which gives us permission to use cabbage instead of noodles in any number of bastardized asian dishes... like pad thai, for example... also spicy and peanutty...

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #773 on: August 20, 2019, 08:13:08 AM »
also, in Newfoundland, chop suey uses cabbage instead of noodles (historic difficulties in getting noodles reliably, so the chinese restaurants just  shredded cabbage)... which gives us permission to use cabbage instead of noodles in any number of bastardized asian dishes... like pad thai, for example... also spicy and peanutty...
I've done the pad thai and its been tasty.

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #774 on: August 22, 2019, 05:10:04 PM »
My only regret is not having bought the 8 quart. I'm a Schmitt. I can't cook small.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #775 on: August 23, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »
My only regret is not having bought the 8 quart. I'm a Schmitt. I can't cook small.

I have the 8 qt.  It's scary-big, but I like it.

My most recent discovery: Instant Pot cheesecake.  Easy and results in a very creamy cheesecake since the IP kinda substitutes as a bain marie.  Due to size limitations, it's not a huge cheesecake (I use a 7" stainless steel push-pan) so the portion size (cut in eighths) are reasonable.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #776 on: August 23, 2019, 11:57:46 AM »
I have the 8 qt.  It's scary-big, but I like it.

My most recent discovery: Instant Pot cheesecake.  Easy and results in a very creamy cheesecake since the IP kinda substitutes as a bain marie.  Due to size limitations, it's not a huge cheesecake (I use a 7" stainless steel push-pan) so the portion size (cut in eighths) are reasonable.

I'm super curious about the cheesecake. I need to get a little pan to try it with.

Offline DocBuzzkill

• Help me, I'm melting....
« Reply #777 on: August 23, 2019, 08:28:47 PM »
I'm super curious about the cheesecake. I need to get a little pan to try it with.

Here's the pan I bought: ekovana stainless steel cheesecake pan.

This is the recipe I adapted (eliminated steps I found too fussy and used parchment paper buttered on both sides): Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #17

The texture of the little cheesecake is lovely - very smooth and creamy.  It's kind of a blank slate, too.  Lots you could do with it.  Serve with fresh fruit in season, slather with caramel sauce or dulce de leche.  Add lemon zest to the batter.  And so on.

#notallprogressives

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #778 on: August 23, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »
Thanks for the recs!

And now, I really want cheesecake...

Offline Suesquatch

• Administrator
« Reply #779 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:13 PM »
Here's the pan I bought: ekovana stainless steel cheesecake pan.

This is the recipe I adapted (eliminated steps I found too fussy and used parchment paper buttered on both sides): Instant Pot New York Cheesecake #17

The texture of the little cheesecake is lovely - very smooth and creamy.  It's kind of a blank slate, too.  Lots you could do with it.  Serve with fresh fruit in season, slather with caramel sauce or dulce de leche.  Add lemon zest to the batter.  And so on.

Is it as good as Junior's? It's short 1.5 pounds of cream cheese.

+-SUPPORT US