Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222619 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #540 on: February 26, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
I made applesauce today in a bowl inside the IP liner. It tasted great except the hint of chili powder :o maybe I need a sweet liner and savory liner? I have an extra ring that I never used and probably should have. I washed the pot thoroughly before use and purposefully used a bowl inside to prevent that :(
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2017, 06:23:59 PM »
what is an IP liner?

I have three rings, and I use them all.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #542 on: February 26, 2017, 06:40:43 PM »
The big metal thing you put the food in to cook.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #543 on: February 26, 2017, 07:07:38 PM »
The big metal thing you put the food in to cook.

I can't imagine that the stainless steel liner is the problem.  Most likely the silicon seal or all those nooks and crannies in the lid where the flavor from the last thing you cooked can hide out.  On the other hand, adding a little kick to apple sauce might not be such a bad thing. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #544 on: February 26, 2017, 08:16:38 PM »
I can't imagine that the stainless steel liner is the problem.  Most likely the silicon seal or all those nooks and crannies in the lid where the flavor from the last thing you cooked can hide out.  On the other hand, adding a little kick to apple sauce might not be such a bad thing.
In retrospect I should have swapped out the rings. I ran 2 cups of water in it for 2 minutes high pressure after washing it and before making the sauce. And no it is not the metal liner because my food was in a separate container, but yes, probably something in the lid, though the liner smells of refried beans.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #545 on: February 27, 2017, 07:46:02 AM »
I thought a liner was one of those that you can buy for the crockpot to avoid mess.  I don't see how metal can keep odor.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #546 on: February 27, 2017, 11:24:41 AM »
I do think it's possible the lid retains smells. I do try and store my IP "open" but I do not cook that many sweet things in  it. I was a little worried when I made applesauce and again when I made plain pasta the other day, but it came out ok. Two rings is probably a good idea. I do like to make applesauce in the IP because it is so quick!

I was impressed with the pasta I made the other day. Half a bag of spirals, enough water to just cover, 6 minutes, and IR. They came out not mushy and I think it was less than 10 minutes start to finish, and used way less water than boiling. I don't know if I'd use it to make a huge pot of spaghetti or something but M is really the only one who eats pasta in the house and she only likes spirals-- so I was able to make her a quick meal just for her while I was making dinner for everyone else, without it being a big production.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #547 on: February 27, 2017, 01:39:31 PM »
The metal liner smells to me, like savory spices. I have cleaned it tons. But the ring and lid were probably the issue.

Offline Coyzmum

• Borderline
« Reply #548 on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:13 PM »

I made this last night for dinner. 

http://www.number-2-pencil.com/2016/09/04/instant-pot-pressure-cooker-french-dip-sandwiches/

It turned out very good!  The roast was frozen so I defrosted and seared it like instructions suggest (I usually don't sear it before crock pot, just put in frozen) and followed the recipe and it turned out great.  Now I've got to get up the nerve to try something different like fish or rice or something that scares me a little bit.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #549 on: February 28, 2017, 07:46:01 AM »
The metal liner smells to me, like savory spices. I have cleaned it tons. But the ring and lid were probably the issue.

You can buy a second liner and use it for sweet things only.

Offline duckgeek

• The Runners
« Reply #550 on: February 28, 2017, 03:53:14 PM »
I made an impromptu beanless chili for a chili chomp party at a friends house this weekend using stuff we had in the fridge and pantry.  Onions, peppers, garlic, bacon, chicken breast, hamburger, homemade tomato sauce, lots of spices.  It turned out good and only took me around 30 minutes to cook. 

Offline Rochey

• Administrator
« Reply #551 on: March 01, 2017, 03:00:03 PM »
You can buy a second liner and use it for sweet things only.

I have a liner and glass lid that I use only for yogurt.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #552 on: March 02, 2017, 06:35:14 AM »
So I used the pot last night to cook up some potatoes for DD and the issue is definitely the ring. I scrubbed it with dishsoap and it seemed better. What sucks is that I have an extra ring and did not even think of swapping them out!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #553 on: March 02, 2017, 08:05:33 AM »
I find that just letting the rings sit for 2 weeks or so after washing them (not using them) reduces their odor, too. 

I use Hally's advice about removing the ring for yogurt.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #554 on: March 02, 2017, 10:02:08 AM »
I use a glass lid for yogurt, you do not bring it to pressure, so no reason to use the provided lid!

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #555 on: March 10, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
I made this split pea soup last night. I was intrigued by the 5 minute thing.
I didn't have pancetta, but I keep a slab of frozen uncured applewood bacon in the freezer. I used 2 oz of that and 1 oz of ham steak. Had to add a bit of oil to sautee the veggies.
Normally I would not use bacon but what the heck, I had it so used it.
Sure enough after leaving it natural release, I had perfectly delish split pea soup.
https://www.hippressurecooking.com/creamy-split-pea-and-pancetta-soup/
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #556 on: March 11, 2017, 07:02:43 AM »
That looks good, Hally.  I usually make mine in the slow cooker.  I also add some liquid smoke.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #557 on: March 13, 2017, 09:52:15 AM »
That looks good, Hally.  I usually make mine in the slow cooker.  I also add some liquid smoke.

But why would you when you can cook it in the IP?

Yes, liquid smoke would be good especially if you don't use any ham or bacon.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #558 on: March 15, 2017, 08:38:29 AM »
But why would you when you can cook it in the IP?

Yes, liquid smoke would be good especially if you don't use any ham or bacon.

I just put all the ingredients in there in the morning and can forget about it. I suppose that would work with the IP, too, but if you are in no hurry.

Offline BonitaApplebum

• Alpha Food Geek
« Reply #559 on: March 15, 2017, 11:56:19 AM »
I have fallen off the IP wagon, and want to get back into it.

I have tons of root vegetables, any suggestions for using those up? Turnips, parsnips, carrots, celery root.

+-SUPPORT US