Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222653 times)

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #420 on: December 19, 2016, 01:30:18 PM »
For Ice Cream (we like this recipe, but it’s probably not very authentic—it’s definitely better the next day)

Chana Masala
1 cup dried chick peas (or you can use canned—but I really prefer to  do my own)
1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes or crushed fresh tomatoes if in season
1 large yellow onion or two smaller ones- cut very small
2 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno (skip if you don’t like it spicy)
1- ½” nub of ginger grated or finely chopped
1 bay leaves
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander
1 tbs garam masala
Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tbs

I started my chickpeas from dry and added them to the pot with enough water to cover + some, a handful of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, a cardamom pod, a jalapeno, 2 garlic cloves, a bay leafe, and a tbs of salt (I had all this on hand but not sure I’d bother if I didn’t). Cook on high for 10 minutes and then check. You want them to be soft all the way through but still have a bit of bite to them (i.e. like 90% cooked). I did mine on high for 10 minute 2 x. You can make a little baggie out of cheese cloth for the aromatics to keep them from mixing in with the beans—or just do your best to remove them but don’t worry too much if a few seeds end up staying with them. Drain the beans but retain 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Now, I like to cut the ginger into a couple of pieces and throw it into the food processor with the garlic, pulsing until they are tiny. Then cut the onion into a couple of pieces and add it and the peppers and pulse until it all is finely chopped. The food processor kind of pulverizes it but I think that’s actually kind of a good thing for this type of cooking. Otherwise, just chop it with a knife and get it all pretty small.

With your IP on saute, add the onion/garlic/pepper/ginger mixer to the pot and with a good amount of olive oil and keep it moving until it starts to brown all over. Now add the cumin seeds and cook another minute or two. Now add the rest of the spices and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, lemon, cooking liquid, and chickpeas. At this point I turned off my IP so I could add the rice.

I placed the trivet in the chickpea mixture. On top I balanced a pyrex container that had 1 cup of basmati rice and 1 cup of water (did not rinse the rice).

Now, I closed the lid and cooked on high for 6 minutes followed by 10 minutes natural release. I found the chana to be a bit wet but it did soak up the remaining broth fairly quickly. So, you could try reducing the liquid by ½ cup or so if you really like it dry. In terms of the rice, it came out “al dente”. It was cooked through—but I like my rice a little softer so next timed I’d do 1.25 water to 1 cup rice.

I dumped the rice into a bigger container and fluffed it.

And that was that. I served it with the flat bread in the “horrible baker” thread. I had some dough balls leftover from the last time we made something similar. That is a pretty quick recipe so easy to whip up along side if you want.

I used this recipe for basmati rice in the IP and I do think I’d prefer the softer version they mention so I’ll do that next time.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #421 on: December 19, 2016, 03:38:48 PM »
I haven't tried it, but I hear the whey you drain off in the course of making yogurt works just fine as a starter for the next batch.  It keeps in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks.

Try it and let us know!
I have a hard time finding a small container of non greek plain yogurt, can only find the quart size and that would turn before I could use it all.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline radial

• Passed on to another Brane
  • Non Sine Causa
« Reply #422 on: December 19, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »
Try it and let us know!
I have a hard time finding a small container of non greek plain yogurt, can only find the quart size and that would turn before I could use it all.

I did, this last batch, and it worked fine.  It's probably a coincidence, but this was the best batch ever.  I ran the incubation cycle overnight and left the results straining in the fridge the next day while I was at work.  It was a little too thick so I whisked a bit of the whey back into the final product.  The result was smooth, creamy, and not too tart.  Pretty much a perfect batch of Greek yogurt. 

BTW, I don't know of any good reason to avoid using Greek yogurt as a starter.  Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt with a bit more of the whey removed.  It works fine. 

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #423 on: December 19, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
Try it and let us know!
I have only used Greek yogurt as my starter and never had an issue. Every batch was AWESOME.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #424 on: December 20, 2016, 09:14:21 AM »
I did, this last batch, and it worked fine.  It's probably a coincidence, but this was the best batch ever.  I ran the incubation cycle overnight and left the results straining in the fridge the next day while I was at work.  It was a little too thick so I whisked a bit of the whey back into the final product.  The result was smooth, creamy, and not too tart.  Pretty much a perfect batch of Greek yogurt. 

BTW, I don't know of any good reason to avoid using Greek yogurt as a starter.  Greek yogurt is just regular yogurt with a bit more of the whey removed.  It works fine. 

Thanks for the update. How much of they whey did you add?
I pretty much end up throwing the container that I have out when I make the next batch. I guess if you baked it would be good to add as a liquid. I made those power pancakes a few times and added it.
I was only following Ice Cream's recommendation. I've used the Greek and it seems fine.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #425 on: December 20, 2016, 09:38:14 AM »
Thanks for the update. How much of they whey did you add?
I pretty much end up throwing the container that I have out when I make the next batch. I guess if you baked it would be good to add as a liquid. I made those power pancakes a few times and added it.
I was only following Ice Cream's recommendation. I've used the Greek and it seems fine.

I didn't measure, but probably 1/2 cup of whey to 1 gal milk.  You could probably get away using half that much (1/4 cup).  One thing I haven't tried yet is freezing whey.  Theoretically you could freeze up cubes of whey and keep them indefinitely for making yogurt.  I don't think freezing kills off any significant fraction of the bacteria involved, so it ought to work. 

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #426 on: December 20, 2016, 12:35:27 PM »
Didn't someone post about the food "smells" that linger on the lid? How do I get rid of them? I could smell onion even after a cycle in the dishwasher.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #427 on: December 20, 2016, 12:45:17 PM »
Didn't someone post about the food "smells" that linger on the lid? How do I get rid of them? I could smell onion even after a cycle in the dishwasher.
Two options-- you can try a vinegar soak or do what i did and buy a new ring to use for sweet dishes. For yogurt you do not bring it to pressure so i just use a glass lid from one of my pots that fits the IP.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #428 on: December 20, 2016, 12:46:35 PM »

Yes, the smells linger. I haven't really had them transfer over. It definitely helps to store the ring separate from the lid and store it with the lid facing up-- ideally with the lid off but that might not be feasible. Some people have multiple rings (i.e. one for heavily flavored things and one for mild/sweet things).

If you make yogurt you do not need the ring.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #429 on: December 20, 2016, 01:55:03 PM »
I have three rings for mine. The white one that came with it is for savory stuff, then I ordered a two pack of rings, one red and one blue. I use the blue one for sweet things and the red one for tomato-y things. Not that I really care if my clear ring gets discolored, just that the two-pack was only a couple bucks more than just getting one ring, plus having different colors is handy for me.

What I really want is an extra metal insert, but I don't have a place to store it so for now it's just washing it quickly in between uses.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #430 on: December 20, 2016, 02:04:45 PM »
Crap, just remembered I said I would make a cheesecake for Xmas in it :D I better start googling :D

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #431 on: December 20, 2016, 02:08:45 PM »
Oooh also have a key lime pie on my pinterest IP board......

Offline Chasing Amy

• The Runners
« Reply #432 on: December 20, 2016, 02:09:24 PM »
A fresh liner!  :!:

I already have a yogurt maker that I use often, but if I like the IP yogurt, I might donate the yogurt maker and have one less appliance cluttering up my kitchen.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #433 on: December 20, 2016, 02:14:13 PM »
A fresh liner!  :!:

I already have a yogurt maker that I use often, but if I like the IP yogurt, I might donate the yogurt maker and have one less appliance cluttering up my kitchen.
YES!!! I got rid of almost all my other kitchen things. I put 2 cups of water on HP for 2 minutes before making yogurt to "sanitize" the liner and have not had any flavor transfer issues even though my pot smells of chili powder or curry.

Offline radial

• Non Sine Causa
« Reply #434 on: December 20, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
I've learned to enjoy curry-flavored yogurt.  Not really :).  Actually, I haven't really noticed any persistent odors.  I do wash out the lid and the plastic sealing ring after every use. 

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #435 on: December 20, 2016, 03:51:25 PM »
I only use the ring for pressure cooking.  Yogurt doesn't need a ring.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #436 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:44 PM »
For Ice Cream (we like this recipe, but it’s probably not very authentic—it’s definitely better the next day)

Chana Masala
1 cup dried chick peas (or you can use canned—but I really prefer to  do my own)
1 cup of canned crushed tomatoes or crushed fresh tomatoes if in season
1 large yellow onion or two smaller ones- cut very small
2 serrano peppers or 1 jalapeno (skip if you don’t like it spicy)
1- ½” nub of ginger grated or finely chopped
1 bay leaves
1 tbs cumin seeds
1 tsp coriander
1 tbs garam masala
Juice of 1 lemon or 2 tbs

I started my chickpeas from dry and added them to the pot with enough water to cover + some, a handful of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, a cardamom pod, a jalapeno, 2 garlic cloves, a bay leafe, and a tbs of salt (I had all this on hand but not sure I’d bother if I didn’t). Cook on high for 10 minutes and then check. You want them to be soft all the way through but still have a bit of bite to them (i.e. like 90% cooked). I did mine on high for 10 minute 2 x. You can make a little baggie out of cheese cloth for the aromatics to keep them from mixing in with the beans—or just do your best to remove them but don’t worry too much if a few seeds end up staying with them. Drain the beans but retain 1 cup of the cooking liquid.

Now, I like to cut the ginger into a couple of pieces and throw it into the food processor with the garlic, pulsing until they are tiny. Then cut the onion into a couple of pieces and add it and the peppers and pulse until it all is finely chopped. The food processor kind of pulverizes it but I think that’s actually kind of a good thing for this type of cooking. Otherwise, just chop it with a knife and get it all pretty small.

With your IP on saute, add the onion/garlic/pepper/ginger mixer to the pot and with a good amount of olive oil and keep it moving until it starts to brown all over. Now add the cumin seeds and cook another minute or two. Now add the rest of the spices and cook another 1-2 minutes. Add in the tomatoes, lemon, cooking liquid, and chickpeas. At this point I turned off my IP so I could add the rice.

I placed the trivet in the chickpea mixture. On top I balanced a pyrex container that had 1 cup of basmati rice and 1 cup of water (did not rinse the rice).

Now, I closed the lid and cooked on high for 6 minutes followed by 10 minutes natural release. I found the chana to be a bit wet but it did soak up the remaining broth fairly quickly. So, you could try reducing the liquid by ½ cup or so if you really like it dry. In terms of the rice, it came out “al dente”. It was cooked through—but I like my rice a little softer so next timed I’d do 1.25 water to 1 cup rice.

I dumped the rice into a bigger container and fluffed it.

And that was that. I served it with the flat bread in the “horrible baker” thread. I had some dough balls leftover from the last time we made something similar. That is a pretty quick recipe so easy to whip up along side if you want.

I used this recipe for basmati rice in the IP and I do think I’d prefer the softer version they mention so I’ll do that next time.

Thank you for this.  I am making this soon!

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #437 on: December 20, 2016, 07:53:15 PM »
Try it and let us know!

Dannon has a small size. 

Offline onawhim

• The Runners
« Reply #438 on: December 20, 2016, 08:43:34 PM »
Has anyone tried making crème fraîche in the IP yet?
Because PANTS

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #439 on: December 20, 2016, 09:52:42 PM »
I've only ever made creme fraiche at room temp. Heavy cream + buttermilk. Leave at room temp (65-75) for a day or so.

+-SUPPORT US