Author Topic: Instant pot?  (Read 222694 times)

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
Re: Instant pot?
« Reply #340 on: October 03, 2016, 06:46:45 AM »
DH likes his yogurt almost cheese thick!
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline Ice Cream

• The Runners
« Reply #341 on: October 03, 2016, 08:03:44 AM »
Hally, I am buying two extra rings on amazon to avoid the problem. 

I think it's very difficult to make a mess of soup.  It always comes out good, no matter what.  We often have soup, salad and a roll for dinner.

Offline hally

• NTTAWWT
« Reply #342 on: October 03, 2016, 04:04:31 PM »
Hally, I am buying two extra rings on amazon to avoid the problem. 

I think it's very difficult to make a mess of soup.  It always comes out good, no matter what.  We often have soup, salad and a roll for dinner.

Somewhere down the road I might buy extra rings, if I want to make something that needs them for pressure and am afraid of smell but for the yogurt, don't need a ring anyway.

To tell truth, I am finding for the amount of time it takes for it to come to temperature/pressure for what I have made so far it's not all that much of a time saver.
“A good coat is like a good lawyer. it covers your ass.”_Jack Reacher, Without Fail

"There is no bad weather, only bad clothing choices"_hally

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #343 on: October 03, 2016, 04:15:58 PM »
It definitely doesn't cut much time off most things. For meat, yes I think it does. Also for beans. But, for most stuff-- I agree, not really a time saver. Like lentil soup, it only cooks under pressure for 10 minutes. But it takes about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure and then another 10-15 to release pressure. So, you're still at 30-40 minutes of cooking time, which is really about how long I cook my lentil soup for anyway.

But, I what I do like about it is the convenience factor. I put all my stuff for soup in, set the timer and walk away. It also seems like less of a mess to me, and the IP is always very easy to clean up.

So, from that perspective-- I'll do eggs, and walk away and do something else and then come back and cool and pack them up. Then throw soup in there, same thing. Then throw something else in, etc.

I usually cook with a lot of strong spices and I haven't noticed any flavor transfer to the mild (e.g. plain rice) or sweet (e.g. applesauce) things I've made. If I smell the ring, I do pick up hints of whatever I've cooked recently but haven't had it transfer. I do store it with the lid off and the ring out, and I run the ring through the dishwasher periodically.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #344 on: October 03, 2016, 04:29:29 PM »
All the recipes  I have done except one have been QR so I would say overall quicker than stove top. I also put in hot liquids to speed up the process. I also like that it cleans easily and I do not have to mind it and it does not heat up the kitchen.
Fionn mac Cumhail :Meri will rise from the casket and beat you...and then run one last Badwater before burying herself.

Offline ihop

• Passed on to another Brane
« Reply #345 on: October 05, 2016, 04:23:01 PM »
I made butter chicken last night and it was delicious.  I thought I got the recipe here but maybe not?
La madre degli imbecilli è sempre incinta.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #346 on: October 05, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
Last night I made this soup: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-simple-carrot-soup-recipe.html in the IP and then used the trivet to also make a grain to go with it. It worked out ok although the grain ended up with a lot of liquid in it so I ended up having to strain it. Which is ok, but next time I'd use less than the amount of water called for for the grain. I also wouldn't cook something you want a specific texture this way (like white rice, for example).

I sautéed the veggies, added the liquid. Put the trivet/metal thingy in the pot and then sat a pan with the grain + water on top of it. Closed the lid and let it go for 10 minutes while we were watching the debate. 10 minutes was longer than the soup needed probably but also about right (a little much) for the grain.

Offline Dagstag v 2.0

• When last seen zhe was crossing the event horizon
« Reply #347 on: October 05, 2016, 04:56:38 PM »
I made butter chicken last night and it was delicious.  I thought I got the recipe here but maybe not?
I did post a recipe here from myheartbeets - that butter chicken recipe is amazing!

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #348 on: October 10, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
Trying Chili for the first time in the IP right now. I "quick soaked" the beans so  :fingers: this works. I did not have time to soak for 8 hours.

Offline The Turtle Whisperer

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2016, 06:52:47 PM »
I'm trying a bison roast in the IP.  We haven't had a roast in 10+ yrs....

I won't tell you how much the 2.5 lb bison roast cost, but it starts with "40" and ends with "fucking dollars!"   :e)

I went saute to brown it, deglazed with some red wine, then poured in about 4 cups of seasoned liquid. 

Went 20 minutes on manual, quick release, and tossed in potatoes and carrots and set it manual for 8 minutes and I'm going natural release.   

I will report back!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:18:22 PM by The Turtle Whisperer »
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
It better be AWESOME :D

On the IP FB page someone posted "I have a filet mignon how should i cook it in the IP" everyone was like DON'T DO IT  :panic: LOL!

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #351 on: October 15, 2016, 07:17:25 PM »
It better be AWESOME :D

On the IP FB page someone posted "I have a filet mignon how should i cook it in the IP" everyone was like DON'T DO IT  :panic: LOL!

Ha! 

That would be a crime!
People put a lot less effort into picking apart evidence that confirms what they already believe.

The money is in the division. Always has been, always will be. Divide and rule, the politician cries; unite and lead, is the watchword of the wise.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #352 on: October 15, 2016, 07:56:28 PM »
Do we have a verdict?

Did I ever follow up on the chili? It was good. A little watery, but really tasty.

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #353 on: October 15, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
It was ok... it probably had more to do with how lean bison is than anything else.  The flavor and the veggies were really good.  Meat was a little dry.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #354 on: October 16, 2016, 06:25:16 AM »
I am not sure what I will make in mine again this week. Probably refried beans, that seems to be a staple here :D

• has no fucks to give
« Reply #355 on: October 16, 2016, 06:45:09 AM »
I am not sure what I will make in mine again this week. Probably refried beans, that seems to be a staple here :D

They don't get watery?

I haven't tried those yet in the IP.  I'll have to do it one day.  I've always done the skillet thing where you separate beans and the liquid. You add the liquid back in at three intervals to get a creamy consistency.   

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #356 on: October 16, 2016, 07:34:52 PM »
They don't get watery?

I haven't tried those yet in the IP.  I'll have to do it one day.  I've always done the skillet thing where you separate beans and the liquid. You add the liquid back in at three intervals to get a creamy consistency.
No, sometimes they are a bit thin, but as they sit they firm up.

Offline nadra24

• The Runners
  • Quacker's Boss
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2016, 01:43:58 PM »
I made applesauce on Saturday night. Super easy, but I left the skins on the apples and blended them too much and now it's the consistency of baby food. I need an immersion blender for stuff like this.

Offline Run Amok

• The Runners
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2016, 03:41:12 PM »
I made applesauce on Saturday night. Super easy, but I left the skins on the apples and blended them too much and now it's the consistency of baby food. I need an immersion blender for stuff like this.

Yeah, that happened with mine too. I think because the IP cooks at a higher temp it tends to obliterate vegetables. I was going to try just not cooking it as long next time.

Offline merigayle

• The Runners
« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2016, 04:04:37 PM »
People keep raving about a brussel sprout recipe in the Vegan Pressure Cooker book so I bought some today and if my refried beans cook in time, I will try them, if not, Wednesday night.

+-SUPPORT US